Calories

Options
Ok, so I think I'm getting this figured out. Question! If I set my calories to 1200 a day. Let's say I work out and burn 600 calories. Do I need to consume the added 600 calories from working out or can I just stay in the 1200 range. I don't want by body to get into the starvation mode but do want to try and loose more weight.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There is no starvation mode.

The way MFP is set up is so you do eat the calories back. Generally people only eat back half of them, though, because of overestimations for calorie burns. Though you should be hitting 1200 all the time as well, and it may be too low a goal for you depending on what you put in and what you want to lose.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're going to set your calorie goal so low you should eat back at least some of those exercise calories. Your body needs adequate nutrients to run properly. Not likely going to get them on 600 net.
  • Angie2016
    Angie2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I changed my calories to 1350 so I should leave 500 calories remaining for the day correct?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No. Your goal is already at a calorie deficit. You'll want to eat as close to the number as you feel safe to and lose weight.

Read these threads:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here
  • Jakti
    Jakti Posts: 1
    Options
    My Progress

Hello everyone,

I brought a new digital scale and weighed myself and shocked myself at the same damn time!

I wrote that weight on a 8x11 sheet of paper with a thick black sharpie and stuck it on my refrigerator door and sat my scale at the foot of the refrigerator. SO NOW EVERY TIME I GO TO THE REFRIGARATOR I SEE THAT SIGN AND THE SCALE, GREAT MOTIVATION AND IT IS WORKING.

I came across this wonderful website while searching for the number of calaries burned during Taebo and decided to join and very happy I did.

I began three days ago and I have already lost 3 pounds; a pound a day!

I have been eating less than my daily allowed calaries on purpose, but not going hungry. I drink plenty of water and start my day with one of the 3 Billy Blanks Tae Bo workouts which I rotate:

Fast Weight Loss- Boot Camp Calorie Burn

Weight Loss-Boot Camp

Abs-Boot Camp

I am also taking a Green Coffee supplement twice a day.

My starting weight 157.8 now it's minus 3 pounds!

Stay tuned for updates.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

The way MFP is set up is so you do eat the calories back. Generally people only eat back half of them, though, because of overestimations for calorie burns. Though you should be hitting 1200 all the time as well, and it may be too low a goal for you depending on what you put in and what you want to lose.

I think the use of the term "starvation mode" is a little inacurate, but the meaning behind it when people write it is not. What they usually mean, in my experience, is that if you lose weight at too large a calorie deficit your body makes adjustments to your metabolism etc to use less energy, which can in turn both slow weightloss, and make it alot easier to gain it back. You can minimise this damage by having a smaller calorie deficit. This isn't my opinion, this is basic science. Instead of jumping on people as soon as they use those words, it'd be better to look at what they mean and comment accordingly, should you know enough to do so.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

I think the use of the term "starvation mode" is a little inacurate, but the meaning behind it when people write it is not. What they usually mean, in my experience, is that if you lose weight at too large a calorie deficit your body makes adjustments to your metabolism etc to use less energy, which can in turn both slow weightloss, and make it alot easier to gain it back. You can minimise this damage by having a smaller calorie deficit. This isn't my opinion, this is basic science. Instead of jumping on people as soon as they use those words, it'd be better to look at what they mean and comment accordingly, should you know enough to do so.

The studies I've seen have shown that what we think of as "starvation mode" does happen, but it happens in such a small increment that it will not make a huge impact on weight loss. It's called adaptive thermogenesis. The effect is minimal, and you would need to be on a very low calorie diet (VLC) to experience it, and that is absolutely not recommended.

• ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you are calculated to consume 1200 calories, that is based on what you claimed as your fitness level and frequency of exercise. If you exercise and have an added 600 calories to play with, I would consume most of the excess in protein macros. You want to stay under your maximum allowed, but not way under. It is important to eat a healthy diet, not just a low calorie one.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Jakti wrote: »
    My Progress

Hello everyone,

I brought a new digital scale and weighed myself and shocked myself at the same damn time!

I wrote that weight on a 8x11 sheet of paper with a thick black sharpie and stuck it on my refrigerator door and sat my scale at the foot of the refrigerator. SO NOW EVERY TIME I GO TO THE REFRIGARATOR I SEE THAT SIGN AND THE SCALE, GREAT MOTIVATION AND IT IS WORKING.

I came across this wonderful website while searching for the number of calaries burned during Taebo and decided to join and very happy I did.

I began three days ago and I have already lost 3 pounds; a pound a day!

I have been eating less than my daily allowed calaries on purpose, but not going hungry. I drink plenty of water and start my day with one of the 3 Billy Blanks Tae Bo workouts which I rotate:

Fast Weight Loss- Boot Camp Calorie Burn

Weight Loss-Boot Camp

Abs-Boot Camp

I am also taking a Green Coffee supplement twice a day.

My starting weight 157.8 now it's minus 3 pounds!

Stay tuned for updates.

errrr.... OK then

Just a couple of things

1) you're losing water weight or natural fluctuations - that's not 3 pounds of fat but it may be a little fat - keep going and check in weekly
    2) MFP is set to lose without exercise, why would you eat less than that? Eat your calories, eat half your exercise calories - you need it to stay off forever not crash and burn
    3) Whatever calories you get for your TaeBo, half them then eat them - you need to fuel your exercise
    4) Enjoy your supplements but they aren't doing diddly-squat if you want to save the money do

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Everyone does it differently. How many of those exercise calories you eat back is up to you.

"Eat half" seems to work for many people.