Weighing Accuracy?

Options
I am constantly confused as to what my weight actually is. For example: My home scale, which is ancient, currently says 117. My friend's new, fairly expensive scale says 115. The scale at my therapist's office says 119. Should I just assume the scale used by professionals is correct? Or maybe go with the average?

At 5'1", a few pounds makes a fairly significant difference, so I'm wondering if any of you have thoughts on this.

Replies

• vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    First of all, your weight can fluctuate 2-4 pounds per day, so your "actual" weight is really just a best guess/average anyway. I would pick one scale and use the same one each time. You should weigh at the same time of day, and be wearing similar clothing (or not). For my sanity, I don't weigh myself more than once per week.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    • Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    • Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    • 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    • Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    • Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    • Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    • Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    • Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    • Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    • Multiple times a DayDon’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    • Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    • TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    After eating drinking ect your weight will change through out the day. And your clothing doesn't always weight the same.

Keep s log of it.
    I use the Walgreens health app to do so. You know the one that gives you Walgreens points for healthy living. I use it to get Walgreens points only really.

Any ways it allows you to input your weight for the same day more than once.

Here is a screenshot of my past few days. sfbcvanphlrq.jpg

Notice my morning weight ( this is nude, and haven't drank or ate yet weight). It's always close to the same but going down each day by a few oz.
    my night weigh ins ( before I go to bed) fluctuate between 2-3 more lbs than morning. This is because of the food and liquids in my stomach still.