sugar substitute

Options
Help! I am trying to find a sugar substitute that tastes good, and is not going to kill me (as I've been reading). So, any suggestions? What is your favorite sweetner product? Sweet and Low is out! The taste of that totally destroyed my coffee. :cry:

Replies

• mjg08060
    mjg08060 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    truvia, its a little expensive but all natural no additives. all nature
  • marcial9s
    marcial9s Posts: 11
    Options
    Xylitol. It sounds bad but it's all natural (made from corn cobs) and it tastes just like sugar, I mean JUST like. I have tried steevia, (truvia) but I hated it. Xylitol is the only thing I use now. You can find it at your local health food store. It looks just like sugar, too, it's crystals not a powder. It has 10 cals per teaspoon but no sugar, it's worth the calories, trust me! :)
  • beckey24
    beckey24 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am a total splenda fan! I love my coffee, but always need a little something to help sweeten it up. I think it tastes the most like sugar for 0 calories. Even my hubby uses it to sweeten his tea. I have tried Truvia, and I can use it, but I find it kind of gives the same aftertast as Sweet-n-Low, so back to Splenda it is for me!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Xylitol. It sounds bad but it's all natural (made from corn cobs) and it tastes just like sugar, I mean JUST like. I have tried steevia, (truvia) but I hated it. Xylitol is the only thing I use now. You can find it at your local health food store. It looks just like sugar, too, it's crystals not a powder. It has 10 cals per teaspoon but no sugar, it's worth the calories, trust me! :)

If you use xylitol, you have to be extremely careful around your dogs. If you're someone who 'shares' a little with the dog or lets the dog lick plates and bowls before they go into the dishwasher, watch out!

Xylitol will KILL your dog. They can go into seizures and renal failure in less than a half hour. If you ever even suspect the dog has been exposed to xylitol, go straight to the emergency vet.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I just use generic Equal (aspartame). I'm used to it after all these years and I haven't seen anything that proves it's going to hurt me, let alone kill me.

I also use the 4C drink mixes that are made with Splenda. Not afraid of that one either.

People throw around a lot of scary 'facts' on MFP that are not facts. If you have a concern about a food product, do your own research and look for valid medical studies, not somebody's blog. ;)
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Yessss!!! Xylitol. It's awesome, fewer calories, real (though I would try to get a birch tree sourced one if possible).

But yes it causes I believe a hypoglycemic effect in dogs that is severe and can be fatal. I have two big beautiful dogs and keep it out of their reach and clean any spills. I think it warns on the packages as well.

Introduce it slowly though, with new foods like this (it's a sugar alcohol) it can cause diarrhea as your body adjusts.