do you count walking?

Options
hi
I was wondering if I should count walking in my exercise for the day
I walk about an hour a day to and from uni and I log this
yet I don't count the 8hrs I spend walking around at work other days
i think i log the hour because it is purposeful and the walking at work is just incidental to the job
so which should i count if any? or do you not count walking at all
and i do other exercise too.
thanks

Replies

• Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do you wear a heart rate monitor? It will let you know what you burn for calories, then you can be more aware of what you do that helps you to burn calories. I have worn one at work and when I am walking otherwise, also. It is a more accurate representation of your own personal journey.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    If it's not "everyday" walking like at work or at home. Intentional walking for exercise should be counted.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    If you set your caloric intake based on sedentary, walking extra like that could be counted. If you set it as active it is already accounted for.

I only count things that raise my heart rate and that I do for more than 30 minute continuously. Others do it differently.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i have my base set at sedentary so yes I log my walks to and from work. When I first started one of my biggest forms of exercise was walking. You will have to decide what makes sense for you.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    I count walking if it is as you say 'purposeful'.

I have two dogs that I have to walk each day but I don't log that because it is all stop and start with them sniffing. I know you can log an exercise that says '3 miles per hour walking dog'. Some dogs may walk at 3 miles per hour but mine don't. I just count the miles I walk on my own and then eat about half back. Seems to work for me.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]25436425.png[/url]
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff.

You could count it in your activity level if it is something you do everyday though. Wont make a huge difference unless you stop doing it or only do it a few times per week.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You spend 8 hrs walking at work other days?

Then if you selected Sedentary as your non-exercise daily activity, doesn't sound right.

Select Lightly Active, then don't count the walking at Uni, because that'll perhaps get close to the walking at work other 8 hr days.

You can either include the normal regular stuff in your daily activity level, or add it in later - same result.
    You burn more each day than sedentary, and acknowledge that fact by your option.
  • ingehooper
    ingehooper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Iv chosen lightly active for myself. Im a stay at home mum to two boy 3 and 2 yrs old and am quite active during the day. I only log workouts though but days I walk alot more then usual I will eat a little more if I need to. If you are quite active during the day go with lightly active as a level x
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL YES,,, race walking is WONDERFUL!
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My rule is that I only count stuff that I didn't do while I was fatter.

Did I walk around the supermarket? Yes, I don't count it. Did I go on 3 hour walks in the countryside? No, so I'll count that. Nothing under an hour though.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wear my fitbit 24/7 and that counts the steps & gives a calorie adjustment. The only drawback is that it obviously counts "normal" walking that could be, say, from bed to bathroom, etc, but overall I do 4-5 miles per day so I just erly on it to give me the overall count/calories. I try to eat as little calores back though, I just use them as a buffer.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    log consistently; adjust accordingly

• silburnl
    silburnl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you use a pedometer to figure out how much 'non-purposeful' walking around you do as part of your everyday routine and use that figure to set your activity level in MyFitnessPal - then record any 'purposeful' walking you do beyond that as exercise.

The mapping between steps-per-day and activity level is:

<5000 = sedentary
    5000-7500 = low active
    7500-10000 = somewhat active
    10000-12500 = active
    >12500 = highly active

Regards
    Luke
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I count it because of 3 reasons

#1) I do at least 6 miles a day - except on days that are really bad where I only do 3. But since I tend to do about 9 on Saturday, I don't sweat it too much.

#2) It lends itself to my training. I need to maintain steady state cardio and build my muscular endurance, so I go for an hour and a half - it's a bit different than logging a 10 minute clip around my block or something.

#3) 10K a day means I need more fuel than if I ignored that burn. So I log it to remind myself that I did expend an extra few hundred calories and should therefore, eat them all.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    lol i wonder if I got a pedometer if it would quit when it found out i dont have a car.
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also eat half back from my walks. I also walk 3mph, but log 2mph. But, I also know my heart rate doesn't go up that high because I'm so used to walking.
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt count walking,youre always walking that should be part of your lifestyle.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job, and I walk across the street to CVS sometimes. If it's a walk to that building, or around my job, or at home, no because that's normal activity level.

If I decide on one of my breaks to walk the mile loop around my building, I count it because it's not part of my norm.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    hi
    I was wondering if I should count walking in my exercise for the day
    Yes for sustained walking, but call it "hiking"... :)
    That just has a better ring to it. As for daily activity, either use a pedometer, or just set your MFP activity level: sedentary - low active - somewhat active - active - highly active
    - It's here:
    - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
    Good Luck!
    <3
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My fitbit counts my walking for me.