Opinions on HRMs

Options
I want to hear your opinions on your HRMs. I want one for Christmas and I've done some research but I need reviews. I'd rather get on that doesn't need a chest strap but I'm open to anything at this point. Please tell me what kind you have and the pros and cons. Thanks so much. I appreciate everyones help.

Replies

• Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I want to hear your opinions on your HRMs. I want one for Christmas and I've done some research but I need reviews. I'd rather get on that doesn't need a chest strap but I'm open to anything at this point. Please tell me what kind you have and the pros and cons. Thanks so much. I appreciate everyones help.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    If you do a search of the forums for HRM or heart rate monitors, there's been bunches and bunches of stuff posted previously.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you don't get a chest strap, you do not get a continous read, and therefore will only get an estimate (which can be about as inaccurate as the heart rate monitors on your treadmill, for example).

I personally like the my basic polar - I think it's the f4 - it gives me my heart rate, time exercised, the current time, a heart rate range alarm, and of course, calories burned. You input your height and weight, and it calibrates the numbers for you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F6. It does have a chest strap, but I barely even notice it's there when I'm exercising. You can also place the watch other places besides your wrist (like on the handlbars of your exercise bike, or elliptical, etc.) and it still reads your HR. Enjoy!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F-11 and LOVE it!!

Chest-strap is the only way to go, imho.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT
    with chest strap

Adore it. Cannot live without it now.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 also and LOVE it! The chest strap took me a little getting used to, but no problems with it at all. Just make sure to moisten the chest strap where it reads on your skin...makes for a better reading. From what I hear, if you go with one without a chest strap, you can pick up HRs from other people with a HRM. So, would be okay if you don't go to a gym and just workout at home. Good luck!!!
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    bump-need more opinions :smile:
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've used the Timex bodylink with chest strap and now use the Suunto T3C hrm with chest strap and foot pod. The Suunto is more expensive with a more comfortable strap but I've really liked both.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have the Timex 30 lap. I just bought it Saturday so I am still learning to use it. It definately helped my Fitness Ultimatum game said that I burned 322 calories my HRM (WITH chest strap) said I only burned 301. Good to know.

I liked the Timex right off the bat because it was on sale for only $49 and it is a Timex (known for taking a licking and keeps on ticking!)
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Options
    Timex and Reebok, I'll have to look into those. I know you can find deals online on Polar F4,6,and 11s but they are a little pricey.

Amunet, that is exactly why I want to get one. I want to know EXACTLY how many calories I burn during my workouts. I'm also afraid that I'm working out too hard sometimes and not in my target zone, and of course the other end, not working out hard enough.

I feel that purchasing one will also help me to move through the plateaus that I know I'm bound to hit soon. The 20 lbs I've lost have just been baby weight. I'm not even to my pre preg weight and I know after that it's gonna get harder.

Thanks to you that have responded. If anyone else has something to say I'd be happy to hear it.