Hate my Large Calves! Any Help on ridding them?

Options
I have always had Large calves and I have heard to be careful with exercising them cause they will muscle up more ! I do weights at the Y and also walk 3 miles. Ugh I don't want that! I just want the fat to go away and don't want big bulky looking calves they are already big enough! I want them gone! Any suggestions?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Lose fat. But if you are genetically predisposed to have larger calves, enjoy the fact that you have strong legs that can take you places......
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Lose fat. But if you are genetically predisposed to have larger calves, enjoy the fact that you have strong legs that can take you places......

^Agreed. You can't spot reduce and you according to your profile, you have 44lbs to go so they might slim down a bit as you get to your goal.

But genetics also come into play and if you reach your goal and that's the case, I'd say 3 options - Learn to love them, surgery, or work on recomping other parts of your body to be proportionate to your calves to where you are happy with them.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    girl I understand the feeling. My calves are HUGE and solid muscle. Body builders are jealous of them I'm telling you and I've had to come to terms I'm probably never getting rid of them. I've lost over 70lbs and they have not shrunk at all (I know because I measure)
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I found than running really slims my calves.
  • gudkarma147
    Options
    well you can always enjoy the fact that those musclar calves are even more adept at venous return. if you're carrying fat though they'll slim down as you lose weight.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    ...if you are genetically predisposed to have larger calves, enjoy the fact that you have strong legs that can take you places......
    yewww

• TXMary2
    TXMary2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    girl I understand the feeling. My calves are HUGE and solid muscle. Body builders are jealous of them I'm telling you and I've had to come to terms I'm probably never getting rid of them. I've lost over 70lbs and they have not shrunk at all (I know because I measure)

I have lost 60 pounds and my calves are the only place I haven't lost inches. I am hoping by the time I get to my goal weight to have lost at least one inch off them. One of my calves is bigger than the other and that is annoying too. Oh well. :/
  • Scottb4857
    Scottb4857 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hit your weight/fitness goal then worry about whether you want to try something different for the calves. You overall fitness is far more important. But from a different perspective - well defined muscular calves are so much better looking than the anorexic twigs that Hollywood is always trying to push on us. Strap a pair of heels on (if you like heels of course) and show them off!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I will take some of them, my calves are like bird calves. I can't seem to make them any bigger no matter what I do. Sorry, this wasn't helpful. Just wanted to share my frustration. Good luck to you!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    A scalpel would be effective.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just losing fat. How big they remain will depend on genetics. Mine were too thick when I was fat--I couldn't find high boots that would fit or anything--but they are if anything on the thinner than I'd like side now. I'd like to add to the muscle. I run a lot, but I really think it's just where you tend to hold weight.