Becoming toned

Options
nadiabear1
nadiabear1 Posts: 73
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey:) I am 5 ft 0 I weigh 100 pounds and I'm what's called skinny fat I'm just wondering if this routine would help me to become how I want to be?: 5 days a week 2 hours of cardio and 30 minutes of body weight exercises and eating healthy ? Anything else I need to know or change?? Also was thinking of buying a barbell but not sure what weight and would a barbell actually help?

I wanna be thin like this:

http://fitness-is-for-me.tumblr.com/image/46671784599
http://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb9oxh1eMX1rpqoppo1_1280.jpg
http://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdrmzt0ep81rl73doo1_400.jpg

Thanks for helping xx

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    what is your actual goal? Once you can articulate a definable goal you can work towards it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you'll do anything...

Get tested to check your body fat %, and base your goals and actions off that. If your stomach is wobbly, you might be carrying more body fat than you want aesthetically. You'll need to know how much, and then work towards reducing that.

Next, disabuse yourself of the term toning. It is a holdover from the 80s that doesn't really mean anything. If you keep your protein intake appropriate, and reduce the bf% to where you want it, you should be in a pretty decent place. However, you'll want to engage in some cardio and strength training. The strength training will overall harden up your body, lift some parts up, and in general increase your quality of life. The cardio will strengthen your heart and lungs, and ability to perofrm. Be it hiking, "relations", running, etc.

You say you're willing to do anything, I hope you're willing to do a little research, homework, and approach your body safely, and in a sustainable manner. Invest in yourself, and you'll get amazing dividends.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the pictures you have posted as examples are just very thin girls... they arent toned, theres little to no muscle definition?

if you just want to be skinny keep doing loads of cardio, if you want to lose bodyfat, ditch most of the cardio and add in more strength training.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Those women don't seem like they have any muscle mass, just thin to the point where there's 'definition' from very little body fat. Are you simply looking to lose weight or actually gain muscle?

Either way, you should be doing some strength training exercises to retain the amount of muscle you have if you're planning on dropping body fat.
    More muscle retention while dropping body fat = more food instead of cutting cals too low
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You need to lose fat not weight.

Lifting weights will help you lose fat. Please drop the 2 hr x5 cardio this will just keep you where you're at now.Even if lose more weight your body composition will stay as it is now.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    at your height and weight, losing more weight will not make you look the way you want to look. going by your pic you're already slim and I can't see anything wrong with your stomach at all. It's small and does not look flabby. If you want 6 pack abs then you need to start lifting heavy and decreasing your body fat percentage, and you'll probably benefit from gaining some muscle, i.e. do a bulk cycle (gaining weight/muscle) then a cut cycle (losing fat) to get back to the weight you are now or perhaps a little heavier, but this time with a lower body fat percentage so you're more likely to be able to see your abs that way, if that's what you want. But if you don't want visible abs then you need to realise that your stomach looks fine as it is and you're exaggerating the size and flabbiness of it in your mind. Your mental health will benefit from you stopping doing this, whether you decide to go for 6 pack abs or not.

Lifting weights in the gym or any other kind of strength training will benefit you even if you don't want 6 pack abs... just go to the gym and eat at maintenance to stay at the same weight - this will firm up your body a bit even if you don't then lose fat to get a 6 pack.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    <-- I am getting there after 18 weeks of exercise :wink: But my goal is something like this:
    hqdefault.jpg
    (2 pack at least, better muscle definition)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    If you'll do anything...

Get tested to check your body fat %, and base your goals and actions off that. If your stomach is wobbly, you might be carrying more body fat than you want aesthetically. You'll need to know how much, and then work towards reducing that.

Next, disabuse yourself of the term toning. It is a holdover from the 80s that doesn't really mean anything. If you keep your protein intake appropriate, and reduce the bf% to where you want it, you should be in a pretty decent place. However, you'll want to engage in some cardio and strength training. The strength training will overall harden up your body, lift some parts up, and in general increase your quality of life. The cardio will strengthen your heart and lungs, and ability to perofrm. Be it hiking, "relations", running, etc.

You say you're willing to do anything, I hope you're willing to do a little research, homework, and approach your body safely, and in a sustainable manner. Invest in yourself, and you'll get amazing dividends.

/thread
  • dbmata
    Options
    nadiabear1 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    If you'll do anything...

Here's a pic of my stomache: drvow6xr9ckm.jpg

But I want to have more muscle so it's like this: http://41.media.tumblr.com/1c654542fdbc11e536eb548b7e6941f9/tumblr_mpnxmbx2031qbkxyvo1_r1_1280.jpg

The pic in this thread is quite nice. Do you see what we see?
  • TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you want to look more defined or see your abdominal muscles you need to build muscle and lose fat. One way to achieve this is to lift heavy weights and keep your nutrient intake under control.

I normally train 6xs per week heavy weights and incorporate 3 cardio sessions roughly 40mins each of HIIT. My macros are also 1400 cals per day, 100g carbs, 160g protein and 55g fat. (Approx.) everyone is different but just an idea.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    nadiabear1 wrote: »
    No I'm not a troll it's just I didn't get many answers on my last threads and they were quite a while ago, and I probably do have body dysmorphic disorder coz I'm constantly looking in the mirror and thinking I always look like crap I'm never happy with how I look and my mum and sister have said I have a problem aswell, I also have a problem with food I eat a lot on some days then starve myself a few other days because I felt like I ate too much. I'm so concentrated on looking good that food and how I look is all I think about all day every day, Sorry that I posted a similar topic before it's just I'm confused on what to do.

That quote is from your "Perfect weight but still fat" thread. I think that before you start with any exercise routine you need to speak to a doctor to ensure that you do go about this in a healthy manner.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    stomach*
This discussion has been closed.