Weekend splurges?

Options
Hi all, I am new to the forum...not so new to MFP. I am curious about how those of you who have been successful on your weight loss journey went about the weekends. Like most people, the weekends really are my most difficult hurdle in tracking calories. During the week I am very consistent.

Can any of you attest to having a "cheat" day once a week and still losing?

Or if you have lost weight, I would really appreciate ANY information on how your weekends went diet-wise.

Anyone who truly stuck to their diets through the weekends?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Plan for your weekends and populate your diary ahead of time. This will help you stay within your calories budget. Earn calories ahead of time for weekend extras like booze.

I never feel the need to cheat because I budget for all of the food I wish to eat and my booze. LOL!
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think a whole cheat "day" is the best idea, at least not when you're still in the early stages of trying to establish a new way of eating. I prefer a cheat meal, a nice dinner out on Saturday night where I eat what I normally don't during the week, like pasta or pizza or a big juicy burger. Not that those foods are "bad", they're just not part of my weekday routine. I really don't want to go nuts for the entire day, just the one meal.
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard for me too. Interested in seeing some good advice...
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Once or twice a month I will pick one meal (usually a weekend breakfast) to be mindfully indulgent and not fret about calories or nutrients. It's worked for the past 150 days, and I've lost 36 of the 90 pounds I set out to lose.

I still estimate what I ate during that meal, and track my daily intake including that estimate.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No I don't do cheat meals. I prelog my week (Mon thru Friday Morning usually) and follow that pretty closely. Then about Wed/Thurs night I plan my weekends...depending on if my husband is working or not will define what I eat.

If he is working seafood....if he is not working whatever he wants.

But it all fits because not only do I look at daily goals but weekly as well so if I am under on Monday and Tuesday and he wants a whopper I have room. If not I get chicken strips and a salad.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I used to allocate my calories that way--I was very disciplined during the week and then on the weekends I would be a little more relaxed. I lost weight, but not nearly as fast as I am by being fairly disciplined every day--probably because I was underestimating my weekend "binges". I still allow myself "fun" food on the weekends (pizza, beer, hamburgers) but I pre-log, hold myself to a reasonable portion size (say, half a hamburger), and just make sure to drink tons of water and get a good workout in.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough for me. We are constantly on the move. What works best is if I pack a small cooler with lunch and snack items then we will have a cheat meal at dinner. My favorite things to pack are tuna or chicken salad, with bread or crackers packed separately so it doesn't get soggy. I also like snack pak pudding or fruit cups, granola bars, baked lays. If you look at my diary you will see I don't consistently log on the weekends. Even then I try to make the better choices and watch my portions. I stop eating pizza after two slices not 6. I still drink lots of water and just a little alcohol if any.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't do the word "cheat", I'm not doing anything wrong. I pre-log daily and make what I want fit within my allotment. If I go over, I log it and move on.
  • matteng52
    matteng52 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How I go about my cheating is by rewarding my weight loss with cheat meals. If I lose 2 pounds, I allow a cheat meal. It makes me gain a little weight, but whatever, it keeps me sane.
  • tdhdee
    tdhdee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Work days are easy for me because I have consistency. It's a routine. Weekends are tough. No discipline, anything goes, being busy, etc... Most of it comes down to planning. I love the other comments here, so true. I never thought about pre-populating for those days but will have to try that.

Sometimes it's also too much time on my hands. I may take a day to do absolutely nothing and relax in front of the TV. Am I really hungry or is it a habit of snacking that I miss? Probably the habit. I would do just as well sitting there snacking on a cup of grapes and feel better about myself.

So you're not alone in this.

57763017.png
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating; it's overeating. I don't plan it regularly, but am planning a big splurge when I've lost 75 pounds.

Log it and move on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If I had a cheat day once a week, I would not lose weight (actually haven't lost much in months because I go a bit over on week ends and it wipes out my deficit for the week). But I guess it depends on what you consider cheating.