Thinking of joining a kettlebells class.

Options
I have heard, kettlebells is great for getting rid of fat on your stomach, toning you up. I don't have a flat stomach so was thinking of going to a class once a week. It burns major calories too. I was wondering about other people's experiences with kettlebells, and does it matter what you eat if you are eating enough to lose half a lb per week? Would I still see a difference if I ate unhealthy but 1480 cal, enough for me to lose half a pound?

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are a great mode of exercise, but it will ALWAYS matter what you eat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Kettlebells are a great mode of exercise, but it will ALWAYS matter what you eat.

Agreed.

In terms of weight loss and slimming down, diet > exercise.

• EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    80% diet, 20% exercise :smile:
  • dwebbqt
    dwebbqt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can NOT out exercise a bad diet. I love the kettlebell swing! I have neck issues, but done correctly it actually helps those neck issue as well as giving me strength and a great low impact cardio workout.
  • zaina510
    zaina510 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell classes are really good - we do a large amount of squats in our classes and you can see it tone your bum in a short amount of time. And yes, definitely watch out for what you eat when you are trying to tone.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    And kettlebell exercises don't magically remove stomach fat. They may strengthen your core, but fat will only come off of any part of you when your overall body fat drops.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    What your 1480 calories are composed won't matter to your weight loss, though it will to other things.

Kettlebells are awesome but what gets rid of stomach fat is a calorie deficit. :)
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

/endthread

Seriously, I am a believer that what (not just how much) you eat matters. But that's a big argument for another thread... Find what works for you :smile:

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What your 1480 calories are composed won't matter to your weight loss, though it will to other things.

Kettlebells are awesome but what gets rid of stomach fat is a calorie deficit. :)

Yes, and what I am trying to say is 1480 cal is enough for me to lose half a lb per week, which means it is a calorie deficit.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ... kettlebells is great for getting rid of fat on your stomach...
    I said that due to that ^

Of course 1480 would be a deficit.

• mleneis
    mleneis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been doing kettlebells between 1 and 4 times a week for about 3 years. I've built up some stonking great muscles, but only in the last year have I decided that I really need to also track my eating and try to lose weight.

There is no way to lose localised fat (i.e. on your stomach) other than liposuction - fat comes off wherever your body decides to pull it first. Having said that, when I started kettlebells, although I put on weight (muscle), friends thought I was losing weight because I strengthened my abs and was holding my core correctly. So although there wasn't actually a reduction in fat there, it looked like it.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun. I'd definitely try it if there was a class near me. :)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I couldn't walk properly for a week after my first kettlebells class, I love it.
    You're calories needed will depend on weight/height/exercise etc, you need to calculate you TDEE and deduct 10% to get the number you're looking for, that being said, how you manage those calories is important, you can't compete with what you eat!!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    merisaOct3 wrote: »

/endthread

Seriously, I am a believer that what (not just how much) you eat matters. But that's a big argument for another thread... Find what works for you :smile:

Agreed. I doubt you could eat 1480 calories of burgers, chips and chocolate and then magically burn fat from a kettlebells class!

Kettlebells are good though. I use them as part of PT sessions, and I'm about to start a kettlebells class. I find a combination of exercise helps me, I like to vary it.