3rd day without sweets...

Options
So, I've developed a bad habit (and I'm calling it a habit because that really is all it is) of eating sugary sweets every afternoon and even going out specially to buy them!

This is my 3rd day without eating sweets. Just 18 more days to go... (because they say it takes 21 days to break a bad habit).

After that I'll add sweets back slowly and in moderation.

This isn't a post asking for help or anything, it's a post I made partly because I'm proud of myself for going so long without it (I never last more than a day), and partly because I wanted to test if I am now able to post on forums. =P Thanks for reading!

Replies

• KirbyT16
    KirbyT16 Posts: 411
    Options
    Keep it up! :smile:
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Encouraging too, for people like me who also get called by sweets in the afternoon- I think the Junior Mints Candy in the Vending Machine here at work is possessed...
  • ROCKNMIMI
    ROCKNMIMI Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

Keep up the good work from someone who knows the strugle!
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    33Freya wrote: »
    Encouraging too, for people like me who also get called by sweets in the afternoon- I think the Junior Mints Candy in the Vending Machine here at work is possessed...

Lol! You know what it's actually quite easy. See I have this "vulnerable time" between 4-5pm. Instead of driving out to get candy I am now walking for that hour. My weaknesses are things like chocolate, ice cream, and homemade sweets.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! My co-work has put out a bowl of candy and all last week, I was eating it at the same time every afternoon. So far, I haven't had any chocolate since Friday
    ( I did have a mint because onion breath is not fitting for a diva LOL)
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I'm right there with you! My co-work has put out a bowl of candy and all last week, I was eating it at the same time every afternoon. So far, I haven't had any chocolate since Friday
    ( I did have a mint because onion breath is not fitting for a diva LOL)

:mrgreen:

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It's the afternoon slump. I used to get those at about 3 p.m. every day at work.

Thing is, once everything changes, you no longer get that slump. If your body is in better working order over all, you're getting enough sleep, you're eating plenty of protein and fats for your breakfast and lunch, you won't even get that slump in the afternoon.

The only time I ever get it anymore is if I've had a bad night of sleep and I'll be at risk for snacking.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's more than just breaking a bad habit. If you stay away from sweets you'll eventually lose a taste or craving for them. Although I sometimes still eat them like the piece of Halloween candy I stole from the bowl the other night, most of the time I'll look at something like a donut, candy or cake and it just looks kind of gross.

Fruits are my new sweets.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    It's the afternoon slump. I used to get those at about 3 p.m. every day at work.

Thing is, once everything changes, you no longer get that slump. If your body is in better working order over all, you're getting enough sleep, you're eating plenty of protein and fats for your breakfast and lunch, you won't even get that slump in the afternoon.

The only time I ever get it anymore is if I've had a bad night of sleep and I'll be at risk for snacking.

For me I think it's more something like impulse, as I don't snack in general. I just eat 3 times a day. I mean I'm not even craving them all the time I just get in the car and go get them. I don't think about it or anything I just do.

I do get the slump, but I'm used to taking a powernap (of 30minutes) in the afternoon which quickly gets me out of it. Either that or ice water helps, or generally just staying busy with something. I get my slump mostly from either heat (it goes like 38degrees celcius in summer here) or from boredom. :smiley:

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    do you plan on never eating them again
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I'm sure your body appreciates the healthy change :) I cut most refined sugar out of my diet a while ago and feel so much better since
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

Lol are you kidding?? No way. This is just to break the habit of going out to buy so much at once (and all eating them at once). :smile: I will re-introduce them again in moderation. 21-day "sugar detox" ...sort of ... :mrgreen:
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I actually got a withdrawal headache when I got to day three, I was a major addict! Great Job!
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I actually got a withdrawal headache when I got to day three, I was a major addict! Great Job!

Nothing so far for me :smile: I don't think I would be able to tell though as I have low BP and the symptoms are the same. I get dizzy randomly all the time just because of eating too little salt.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    haha...just reading this post makes me want a snickers bar.....brb
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    gopgirl425 wrote: »
    haha...just reading this post makes me want a snickers bar.....brb

Hahaha! You enjoy it while I eat a nice piece of ice cold, juicy, super sweet watermelon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great job. I gave up my mid day snickers about 13 years ago. So glad I did. Does it mean you can "never" have them again? No. Do you have to declare (as some are asking) that you'll never have it again? Absurd. Are you hoping to break that bad habit, and maybe lose the craving and hopefully even the taste for candy? YES. And what a great goal that is!

There's no reason on earth we have to eat candy. And certainly not every day. If you want to, great, but there's no reason someone "should". cheers
  • yoovie
    Options

Lol are you kidding?? No way. This is just to break the habit of going out to buy so much at once (and all eating them at once). :smile: I will re-introduce them again in moderation. 21-day "sugar detox" ...sort of ... :mrgreen:

whew

id die

• yoovie
    Options
    There's no reason on earth we have to eat candy. And certainly not every day. If you want to, great, but there's no reason someone "should". cheers

omg you should totally eat this tho

q0w3km4e2k1a.jpg

Nutella Pumpkin Acorns OMNOMNOM

• Fruitylicious03
    Options

omg you should totally eat this tho

q0w3km4e2k1a.jpg

Nutella Pumpkin Acorns OMNOMNOM

oh-em-gee :heart_eyes: