New to MFP/My Story

Hi all. I'm 20 years old and (trying very hard not to sound pretentious) a somewhat successful college athlete. I play #1 for a nationally ranked college tennis team, and I've created this account to help keep me in line regarding my weight. I'm 5'4" with a very muscular build (ex-elite gymnast) and ~123 lbs. I would like to get under 120 lbs (maintaining at 119 lbs would be completely fine) but maintaining lost weight is extremely difficult for me. I've suffered with eating problems for a little while and it's kept me from losing weight what some may consider the "healthy" way. I have fasted extensively in the past as a means of weight loss and it has really messed with my metabolism, digestion, and dietary issues. I fast for 24-hours about once every 2/3 weeks, but there was a period about 1.5 months ago where, out of 22 days, I had fasted 16 of them (7 days fasting consecutively, 2 off, 1 fasting, 2 off, 1 fasting, 2 off, and another 7 consecutive day fast). This got me down to my lowest weight (115 lbs), but I could also barely make it through a light tennis practice. It also took me from slightly/moderately soy and lactose intolerant to VERY intolerant and lessened by ability to "go" often without the occasional use of laxatives. I have decided to make my goal maintenance weight just under 120 (so 119 lbs) because I know I can be lighter on my feet while still functioning well at that weight. I would also just like to get back to my normal healthy eating habits and, most importantly, regain my happiness.

Other facts about me: pescetarian, tennis practice ~4 times a week/2 hours a practice, lifting 4 times a week/1 hour per lifting session; I also really really like cookie butter.

Sorry for the lengthy (and sappy) intro post but I hope to produce good results!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,242 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2014
    As an athlete, you might need the 'extra' weight (above 120 pounds). Have you talked to a dietician or therapist about your eating issues? It might be beneficial to talk to a pro. At 123 pounds, especially as an active young person, you're perfectly healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • I may be healthy at my current weight but I know I could perform well/better at about 5 pounds lower. I have just recently come to terms with my eating issues being a problem more than a solution, and since we do have great, free therapists at the health center on campus I will take your advice and talk to one. Thanks for the response!