How to you tell your friends/order healthier?

Options
I've recently gained back most of my lost weight because I tend to eat out when I'm busy at work. Hanging out with my friends tends to happen at lunch, which is usually going out somewhere. I got back into MFP, but then someone wanted to hang out, so we got food. I wanted to order a salad, and almost did, but I got a small pizza instead. I was already almost at my calorie limit, so not the best choice. I just hate bringing attention to myself, which would have happened: "YOU don't want PIZZA?! Has the apocalypse begun?" So I went the easy way out. Then later that same night another friend had a bad day, wanted to go out, and we got more food. I know a lot of this is also just bad self control. I could have gotten the small pizza and only eaten some of it instead of eating all of it, etc. The blame is totally my own, I'm just looking for help being less awkward I guess.

TLDR: I don't want to be awkward at restaurants but it's the only time I see my friends. Help?

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't make a big deal out of it. If anyone says anything, the only thing you need to say is, "I feel like a salad today." Change topic, move on.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If they are your friends, they shouldn't make you feel bad for eating lower calorie.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If comments from your friends are enough to cause you to lose all willpower, you need stronger willpower and less concern with people's comments.
  • arumping
    arumping Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Seriously, this all comes back to you. I'm not trying to be harsh because I know exactly what you mean and are going through. I have a very good friend who I eat out with once a week. She is constantly talking about the need to lose weight but she constantly makes bad choices. I began this journey about three months ago and she has noticed the difference in the choices I make.. continues to order apps/desserts that will tempt me.. suggest places that tempt me, etc. I make a concerted effort to either look up the place online first to peruse their menu so I am prepared and set on what I will order. I am not always perfect in this but I do realize it is my responsiblity and not my friend's.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    you dont need to explain yourself you just pick what you want to eat. one day it will be a salad other times it might be the pizza, whatever though it should be your choice.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You are in control of what you put in your mouth. They might comment, but really, it's none of their business what you do or don't eat. Likewise, you shouldn't comment on what they eat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just order what you want. Do your friends actually care that much what you eat or do you just think they do? It's none of their business even if they do care but I am curious as to whether they really do or if you are just afraid that they do.