Time for a change- IIFYM results?

Options
Hi :)

I started MFP again (for the 4th time) in May, and lost about 30lbs doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, walking, and following the MFP calorie suggestions. I have been stuck for about a month now at the same weight because of a combination of a torn meniscus, craving comfort food because of the cold weather, and a lack of motivation because I can't work out as hard as I was because of my injury. I have decided to shake things up a bit in order to get back on track. I adjusted my calorie intake to IIFYM recommendations (1,798) and I am lifting heavy 3 days per week (avoiding lifts that put strain on my injured knee) and low impact cardio 2 days per week.

Has anyone on here had a similar routine and gotten good results? Do you still lose weight eating a higher number of calories and doing more resistance training than cardio?

Thanks!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ultimately your ability to succeed will boil down to you being able to maintain the appropriate calorie and nutrient intake for your goals. And from there you really need to pay attention to what is going on and adjust things according to results. So for example if you track accurately and hit your goal of 1798 and you are not losing weight (assuming that's the goal) over a couple of weeks, you need to react to that by reducing intake (and/or increasing output/activity depending on the context). However, this is something you should always do, regardless of whether you're using IIFYM or paleo or MFP's default macros or whatever else. You must adjust the variables according to results and if you do this, and track accurately, you will be pointed towards the correct intake.

Finally, lifting weights is a good idea for most people.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Ultimately your ability to succeed will boil down to you being able to maintain the appropriate calorie and nutrient intake for your goals. And from there you really need to pay attention to what is going on and adjust things according to results. So for example if you track accurately and hit your goal of 1798 and you are not losing weight (assuming that's the goal) over a couple of weeks, you need to react to that by reducing intake (and/or increasing output/activity depending on the context). However, this is something you should always do, regardless of whether you're using IIFYM or paleo or MFP's default macros. You must adjust the variables according to results and if you do this, and track accurately, you will be pointed towards the correct intake.

Finally, lifting weights is a good idea for most people.

/thread
  • TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty hard time losing weight, but I do follow IIFYM. The only thing I find tricky is actually figuring out your weight-loss calorie amount. IIFYM will tell me I need approx. 1800 because I'm leaner, but I normally eat around 1400 and if I go over I will not see a change on the scale. I know I'm losing fat at 1400, but at 1800 like their calculator says would put me over my maintenance. So just be cautious about that.

I've gotten good results.