Comment on my Workout Routine

Options
MisterZ33
MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I will be lifting heavy so I want to keep my reps / sets low. i am still eating at a 600-700 calorie deficit per day. I have about 1-1.5 hours to dedicate to each day. 3 days on, 1 day off. Thanks.

Day 1 - Arms / Legs

Shoulders
> Shoulder Press (5 reps x 3)
> Front Raise (5 reps x 3)
> Shoulder Shrugs (5 reps x 3)
Biceps
> Seated Bicep Curls (5 reps x 3)
> Hammer Curls (5 reps x 3)
> Cable Curls (5 reps x3)
Triceps
> Triceps Extension (5 reps x 3)
> Triceps Kickbacks (5 reps x 3)
> Lying Triceps Extension (5 reps x 3)
> Dips (to failure)
Quads
> Squats with Medicine Ball (5 reps x 3)
> Leg Press (5 reps x 3)
> Leg Extension (5 reps x 3)
> Wall Sit (to Failure)
Hamstrings / Glutes
> Leg Curls (5 reps x 3)
> Deadlift (5 reps x 3)
> Hip Abduction (5 reps x 3)
> Hip Adduction (5 reps x 3)
Calves
> Barbell Calf Raises (5 reps x 3)
> Calf Press (5 reps x 3)

Day 2 - Core Circuit Workout

> Power Yoga
> Superman leg / arm extension
> 10 push ups
> Plank
> Side shuffle
> X-Box
> Balancing oblique twist with medicine ball on bosu
> Power Abs 200 Crunches
> 10 push ups
> Elliptical 15 Minute HIIT
> 10 push ups
> Plank
> Forward lunges with a Twist (Medicine Ball Optional)
> Backward lunges
> Front Kicks
> Pivot Knee Raises
> Side Kicks
> 10 push ups
> Elliptical 15 Minute HIIT
> 10 push ups
> Plank
> Jab / Cross
> Hook / Uppercut
> Balancing oblique twist with medicine ball on bosu
> Power Abs 200 Crunches
> Elliptical HIIT (to failure)

Day 3 - Chest / Back / Abs

Chest
> Bench Press (5 reps x 3)
> Incline Bench Press (5 reps x 3)
> Decline Bench Press (5 reps x 3)
> Chest Flyes (5 reps x 3)
> Chest Dips (to failure)
Back
> Cable Rows (5 reps x 3)
> Lat Pull Down (5 reps x 3)
> Lat Pull Stand (5 reps x 3)
> Back Flyes (5 reps x 3)
> Deadlift (5 reps x 3)
Abs
> Seated Abs Crunches (5 reps x 3)
> Lower Abs Leg Lift (to failure)

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    wow.. that's a lot of volume. 20 exercises in one day is overkill. I do max 7-8 exercises per day.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The workout depends on the goal. Post your goal and then i'll read that.. or at least skim it. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    uh, did you get this from a Cosmo or something?

So much isolation going on, a lot of whacking it in the breeze. Doing arms and legs in one day? Just call it a full body session, and do full body *kitten*.

yugottaovercomplicatebro?
  • MisterZ33
    Options
    SFL,

i was reading that you should target each mucsle at least twice per week. having the days allotted this way was the only way i could do that due to my schedule. also, i understand that two to three exercises per muscle is best. because my lifts are heavy, my rest time will be short so i think there will be enough time to get the workout in. plus, i will have 2-3 days in between exercises to rest particular muscles.

Cherimoose,

the goal is to lose fat and to maintain my muscle mass and gain strength. i am about 40 lbs away from my goal weight of 185.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This seems like a lot. Why do you have a core day and an ab day. Are they not pretty related if not the same thing? Why are you doing triceps on your shoulder day? Why aren't those exercises just done when you are doing your chest since you are working your triceps on each and everyone of your chest exercises. Same thing with the biceps.

Also you would lessen the amount of exercises you have to do if you focused less on machine and isolation exercises and more on compound ones.

I feel like this routine is a lot and a bit all over the place. But if it works for you, all power to you.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I vote for ICF 5x5 since you like ISO work apparently.

It's like SL 5x5 but with iso. Takes about 75-90min.
    You run it MWF or TThSa, or whatever
  • dbmata
    Options
    Dude just needs to learn the basics, go with Starting Strength, and then go from there. All that ISO stuff is silly unless he's fixing some major injuries.

Then again, maybe he's recovering from a car crash.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I got tired just reading through that list. My suggestion is to use an existing program (All Pro, Stronglifts, A Workout Routine, etc.) rather than trying to create your own.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Prioritizing isolation before compound does not make much sense, unless you are wanting to pre-exhaust, and your split seems unnecessarily overcomplicated. A compound barbell exercise followed by isolation on a smaller muscle group should be plenty of work.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    In a deficit you'd be better off doing full body compound exercises 2 or 3 times a week. SL 5x5 would be a good start. Skip the iso work.
  • MisterZ33
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was in a major car accident years ago. i broke my back, pelvis and hips. compound exercises (i tried stronglift 5x5 program) has been putting too much strain in those areas, which is why i am switching to isolated muscle training. I thought it would be less strenuous.

I am new to lifting so i expected some critism on my plan. what i am hearing is that i am doing too much and that i should be working out certain muscles groups together. which muscles grous should be worked out together and which exercises should i cut out? thanks again.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    I am new to lifting so i expected some critism on my plan. what i am hearing is that i am doing too much. which exercises should i cut out? thanks again.
    Sorry to hear about your accident and its super cool you're getting in the gym. As far as cutting down the volume, for instance, you could rotate every three weeks one of the main lifts for chest, i.e. week 1: flat, week 2: decline, week 3: incline - or whatever. If barbell work is off limits for now and perhaps ever, you will need the variety in your training anyway. You can take the principle and apply that to your splits targeting the larger muscle groups first.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    add OHP
  • MisterZ33
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    I am new to lifting so i expected some critism on my plan. what i am hearing is that i am doing too much. which exercises should i cut out? thanks again.
    Sorry to hear about your accident and its super cool you're getting in the gym. As far as cutting down the volume, for instance, you could rotate every three weeks one of the main lifts for chest, i.e. week 1: flat, week 2: decline, week 3: incline - or whatever. If barbell work is off limits for now and perhaps ever, you will need the variety in your training anyway. You can take the principle and apply that to your splits targeting the larger muscle groups first.

okay, this is good. my routine is definately open to modification. Thank you.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you're still rehabbing from that, it's wiser to talk to a physical therapist.

I'd suggest the following:

Upper/Lower split

Lower days:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Lunges
    Box step ups
    Box jumps
    GHDs

Do this until you walk like a drunken sailor.

Upper days:
    Bench
    Pushups
    Dips
    Pull ups
    Bent Over or Pendlay Rows
    I'd also personally add in some shoulder superset stuff, but that's because I need to work my shoulders some.

Core work:
    Go do Yoga. The stretching will help, the viewable fauna is usually great.