New to lifting.....help?!?

Options
Hi all :) Let it be known first and foremost I am a newbie when it comes to weights. I look at the weight rack at the gym, and then slink away in shame as super buff people grab half the rack and go to town.
Long story short, I started my Journey at 5'3 198lbs. :'( Determined not to hit 200lbs I started the roller coaster of trying to get healthy. It took me 18 months to get everything in my life straightened out and now its been a SLOW but steady loss down to 181-182lbs :) (depending on my scales mood....) I am seeing progress, I feel better, but I want to tone as I continue to loose.
I want to learn to lift, I can be self-motivated, but I am at a loss of where to start.
I googled "Beginning weightlifting" and was completely overwhelmed. Ideally, I would love a mentor, however I understand that the odds of that happening are slim as I cannot afford a personal trainer.
SO...what I am asking is where did you start? How do you navigate the freeweights at the gym? IS there a routine you can do at home? (I am willing to go buy freeweights, ideally home would be the better option since i have small children and limited daycare) I know this is a bit of a hectic post, but honestly, Im nervous. The one time I approached someone who was experienced at the gym, and asked where they recommended to start, I was told I was to fat to start lifting. :'( I thought it was a little rude, but is there such a thing as being to fat to start lifting?? Thanks for any help in advance!
<3

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women... are all good resources. That, of course, assumes you have access to a proper barbell setup.

As for being too fat to lift, block that nonsense out of your mind. There's no better time to start lifting than today, and whoever told you to wait is simply ignorant. The only thing being very lean will get you is a (potentially) stronger appearance at the time because your muscles are more visible, but if you wait until you're a toothpick to start lifting, you'll just be playing catch-up at that point. There's no logical reason to wait. In terms of actual strength though, you're almost certain to be stronger with a bit more body fat. Take for example one of the greatest strongmen in history:

4495650596_563b6828e4_z.jpg

Perhaps not aesthetic, but strong and aesthetic are very different things.

TL;DR: start lifting and follow a beginner program.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women...even if you don't do the program, it is a good read for women new to lifting and particularly for women with irrational fears of the weight room...it explains a lot. I think the whole New Rules series is pretty good myself. Strong Curves is also good and my wife likes it better than New Rules.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is probably the simplest thing to start with for newbies. It's pretty basic and not overwhelming. There are also good videos and instructions online. Personal training can be expensive, but an injury can be, too. If you are overwhelmed and really have no experience, getting a trainer for even a couple sessions to go through some proper form with you is a really good idea. You look younger than me, so maybe you could bounce back faster, but at my age, I started with a trainer for a few sessions because I was really not interested in injuring myself.
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I called the library and they have "New Rules of Lifting for Women" so Im picking it up after work. I guess the local Y has a "beginner" package where you can get 3 sessions at a reduced rate to get an overview on the equipment and form. :) Its a start, im excited!
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    go for the big compound lifts then the rest secondary
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5... I found NROLFW a bit advanced for beginners.
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with starting with a trainer to learn proper form, but after you do, I highly recommend SL 5x5 as a basic starters program.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    +1 for Stronglifts 5x5

I did Stronglifts 5x5 when I was a total newbie too and loved it! I definitely recommend it to all beginner lifters :) Very basic, very easy to follow. There's a really good summary on MFP but I'm having issues navigating the new system to find it so you'll have to search it up.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the above posts. Strong Lifts and NROLW are great for beginners. Good luck and have fun!
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Adding "Research Stronglifts 5x5" to my list!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    berz82 wrote: »

and make sure the Y people show you how to use the free weights, and not the silly *kitten* machines. The Y I workout at has all the trainers should people how to do bro curls on machines, and torso twists. bfd.

Have their trainer show you how to (at the least)
    1. Squat
    2. Deadlift
    3. Bench Press
    4. Bent Over or Pendlay Row

and make sure they drill you on form so it's good to go.

I would also really think about the home workout solution if cost is a factor. For the free weights I use, to buy them used in my local area, I would be investing about the same amount of money as 10 years of my membership at the Y, plus then I'd have to completely take over my garage, or revise some basement space to make it work. I'd rather just rent access to a place where I can go in, do my thing, and leave.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    berz82 wrote: »

I second this. New Rules of Lifting for Women helped me get acquainted (although I didn't follow the program in the book, just used it to get informed). Good luck!