New to weight lifting! Advice Please

Options
I have recently lost 111 lbs. and have mainly focused on cardio as my exercise. I am interested in starting weight lifting but I don't have the slightest idea where to start. I've done some Les Mills body pump at my health club but I am interested in free weights. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, and strong lifts 5x5 are all good programs...

I would suggest building a program around compound movements - squat, deadlift, chest press, pull ups/chin ups, overhead presses, etc....

Keep eating in a deficit and back the cardio down a bit...

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sarting strength or stronglifts 5x5 are great places to start
  • NurseandMom1981
    NurseandMom1981 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Perfect, I came to poke around and see what I could find for the same reason. Thanks!
  • NurseandMom1981
    Options
    I am super intimidated by the guys at my gym but Im ready for free weights so I want to go in with some idea of what to do. Ive considered paying a trainer for a few sessions to help me get comfortable. I hate that it makes me insecure but it does.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am super intimidated by the guys at my gym but Im ready for free weights so I want to go in with some idea of what to do. Ive considered paying a trainer for a few sessions to help me get comfortable. I hate that it makes me insecure but it does.

If you get a trainer make sure that you tell him/her that you want to learn compound movements...don't get some foo foo trainer who has you doing five pound dumbbell curls or working on core for 20 minutes a day or some garbage like that...

but the right trainer would not be a bad idea..

as far as being intimated at the gym ...just go in there grab some heavy weights and pick them up and put them down, trust me, all the other peeps will hardly even notice you ..:)
  • NurseandMom1981
    Options
    Thanks I will try that. Im not sure why but there are not any women lifting EVER! I know its what I need to get where I want to be. So Im just going to do it!
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!

Can you afford a personal trainer for a few sessions? Programs are great and you should try them, but good form is better. A PT will help you get off the ground. If not, do try one of the programs that are suggested. YouTube has endless supplies of footage to go by for ideas and examples of form. Also, BodyBuilding.com is a great place for ideas, inspiration, knowledge and support in the exercise area. They have several programs geared to newbies. Jamie Eason has a good one on there that covers lifting, nutrition and supplement guidelines if you want them. Check it out.

Another tip; when you start lifting you should begin to pay attention to your macros. So, staying within your calorie goals, find your protein, carb and fats goals to support muscle development while managing your weight. Try IIFYM.com and use the calculators to figure your needs. Maybe BodyBuilding.com does too. ??

I lost a lot of weight and put on muscle by heavy lifting, HIITS and plyometrics. I never thought I could look this good and it keeps getting better. Glad to hear you are jumping in!

Good luck!
  • NurseandMom1981
    Options
    Thanks....We do have trainers there but they all seem to focus more on things besides the free weights like sit up push ups and ropes. I really just want someone to help me with the weights.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Was going to come and say what's already said. Stronglift 5x5 is a great program. There is an app for it. I've been doing it for a little under 2 months and while I haven't lost any weight, I've probably lost some fat and replaced it with muscle during this time. My body is more toned and is definitely stronger. And don't worry about getting too much muscle. Without taking extra hormones, you will maintain a great physique.

While these are men, their youtube channels are great to watch:

Alan Thrall(Squat/Deadlift/etc form)
    Strengthcamp(no new video's but the main guy knows his stuff and can also help in other areas like stretching technique. He's been doing it for years and there's a ton of videos on his page)
    ScottHermanFitness(Good for form as well, many types of videos)

I see so many people using bad form at the gym, so watching other people that know how to do these compound movements is really helpful.
  • NurseandMom1981
    Options
    Thank you I will definitely look into it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - you can practice the lift form at home with a broomstick or similar. That way, when you go to the gym you'll at least have that part down. Might help with the intimidation factor.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbells at home right now. 15 and 20 lb dumbbells are what I have available, so I made my own program. I follow the basic compound moves 3 times a week. Rows, chest press, overhead press, deadlifts and squats. I also incorporate curls, kickbacks, glute bridges, step ups and donkey kicks. 3 sets of 8-12 for me.
  • Aristeian
    Aristeian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started lifting a year and a half ago and had NEVER before wandered into the free weight area. Now I'm a like boss! Well, at least I pretend to be and it seems to work. I will fully admit that setting up for a squat session was initially hopeless; I didn't know how a power rack even worked. So, I got one of my guy friends to come in and show me how to do the set up, break down and even simple things like decline and inclining benches and machines. It sounds silly but it was crucial to my success because now I can wander into any gym weight area and get down to business.

I never paid for any personal training because I didn't want to deal with a hard sell and then not using them anymore and having to see the trainer around the gym every day...so, my advice is ask your dudes ;)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    You can look for a trainer not associated with your gym, if the ones there aren't what you need. I've never been impressed with the sales people gyms disguise as trainers.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    feel free to check out some of my workouts and tips: http://www.jerseygirltalk.com/category/fitness/#.VEgaSPl4q-g
  • NurseandMom1981
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the help!