Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep, I count it.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would use a pedometer and see how much you are doing. I try and keep a constant calorie deficit so I want to know how much I burn. I use a pedometer on my phone and work out how many calories I burn from walking. I put my activity to sedentary and remove the first 150 calories I measure on the pedometer as I am assuming that this should go towards the activity included in the sedentary level on MFP
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    One of the best ideas i've heard on here is not to count things that you did before you started watching/tracking, i.e... grocery shopping, mowing the lawn, walking for work, things that are not a change. i thought that was a great way to think about it.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit counts the walking for me, but quite frankly I almost never eat back exercise calories (I'm functioning more like I'm doing TDEE, though I haven't made any specific calculations). I'm set at "lightly active" but can easily hit more than 10,000 steps per day. If you're specifically walking and you have the option not to, I would count that *or* calibrate you MFP settings to account for the fact that you are that active.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit now so it counts steps and adjusts my calorie goal.

But before that I set my activity level to lightly active and then I only logged walking that I did above and beyond normal daily activity. I always ate back the calories and it worked well.

If you're going to wear a device all day, it needs to be a device that's intended to be worn all day. Most heart rate monitors are only accurate for steady state cardio, so wearing them for 24 hours isn't going to give you an accurate reading. There are devices that are intended to be worn all day though so if you want something like that I believe fitbit, Body Media Fit, and maybe Body Bugg (is that one still around?) would be some available choices.
  • tinapi96
    tinapi96 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do not count ordinary walking, only, like others said, walking as purposeful exercise. To me, if you are walking to exercise you are walking at the high end of your speed and ability. Now, if you are hoofing it quickly and purposefully from university to home, then it should be counted.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The mfp app has a pedometer that links with your phone. I just keep my phone in my pocket and it adjusts my steps and activity level accordingly.