Are my goals realistic?

Options
And if so, what is the right way to achieve them?

I'm 5'11 and weigh ~150lbs. In August I worked out 6/7 days a week, doing an hour of cardio and some light ab/leg workouts. I lost 10 lbs in a little over 3 weeks. But when school started again I stopped going to the gym and gained it all back! Now I'm trying to lose 20 lbs by Christmas.

Is it possible to lose 20 lbs in 65 days? Is it as simple as getting in my daily cardio and workout routine and eating healthy, or do I need some strategic workout/diet plan to avoid plateaus and whatnot.

I need help!

Thanks guys

Replies

• davidshaw20102010
    davidshaw20102010 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very possible. Get back to the gym and eat as you where. If you lost 10 in 3 weeks then you can do 20 in 8. Good luck
  • hollycbee
    Options
    Very possible. Get back to the gym and eat as you where. If you lost 10 in 3 weeks then you can do 20 in 8. Good luck

Thanks @davidshaw20102010. Your words of encouragement are greatly appreciated :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For 1 thing, you're not overweight to begin with. For another thing, you may be ABLE to lose that much weight in that time, but it won't be healthy, plus the calorie deficit you'll have to maintain will be really difficult. If you don't like the way you look, look into body recomp through strength training.
  • hollycbee
    Options
    For 1 thing, you're not overweight to begin with. For another thing, you may be ABLE to lose that much weight in that time, but it won't be healthy, plus the calorie deficit you'll have to maintain will be really difficult. If you don't like the way you look, look into body recomp through strength training.

@jennifer_417 Does strength training burn fat? I have a decent sized belly and my thighs/butt are kinda fat too. They could definitely use toning but more than that I feel theres a layer of fat that would hide any muscle I built up. I'm not very educated on how fitness works though
  • lilyann001
    lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The healthiest amount of weight to lose per week is .5 pounds to 2 pounds; anything more than that is unhealthy. Losing weight slowly makes the habits more likely to stick because it helps you ingrain healthy habits. Trying to lose weight quickly makes it more likely the habits won't stick and old habits come back.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but unlikely unless you starve yourself every day. You should consider upping your goal to a higher weight. 130 would be very low for your height.

Take it slow this time. Eat healthier food and spend time practicing new and better eating habits. Make regular exercise (an hour a day is not required!) a part of your life.

Don't do the thing that will continue the yoyo dieting. Learn to become a healthier person. That takes time, but will be worth it in the long run.

Whatever you choose (yoyo starving or becoming healthier), good luck with it! :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    hollycbee wrote: »

@jennifer_417 Does strength training burn fat? I have a decent sized belly and my thighs/butt are kinda fat too. They could definitely use toning but more than that I feel theres a layer of fat that would hide any muscle I built up. I'm not very educated on how fitness works though

Yes it does!

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You have to net -3,500 calories to lose one pound. Meaning to net -70,000 calories to lose 20lbs or -1,076 per day to reach your goal by Christmas. That in theory it is possible. You'd be losing 2lbs a week. However your body doesn't always cooperate and everyone reacts differently.

You are better off switching to a healthy lifestyle and seeing slow progress that stays off than just trying to drop x amount of pounds in x amout of days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Possible yes, but at your current weight and trying to lose 10lbs a month, not likely without some very high calorie deficit. And usually that will end up in some weight regain once you try to eat regular again.
    Why 20lbs? Why not just the 10 that you did before?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but I would suggest to start with a smaller goal, and do little milestones at a time, that way you can identify how quick you loose weight while doing it in a healthy way! lets say 5 to 5 pounds?
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic. Think about the math. You only have about 9 weeks until Christmas so to lose 20lbs by then, you'd have to lose 2.22lbs each and every week. You need a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose a pound of fat so you need a deficit of 7,700 a week to lose 2.22lbs. That is a deficit of 1,100 calories a day. If you burn 2,000 calories a day, you'd have to average consuming 900 cals each day until Christmas. Is that realistic? Will you even have the energy to burn 2,000 calories a day if you are only eating 900? Do you care if you lose muscle and look flabby?

If you want quick weight loss, you can go to a sauna and probably sweat off a few lbs of water but it won't be any fat loss.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Forget whether or not it's possible or realistic, I feel the better question is why you want to weigh 130 @ 5'11. I would think that would be extremely thin. I think you might be better served to get down to 145 or so, then do a muscle building phase followed by another fat loss phase. This would have you looking much better (in my opinion) then simply trying to lose tons of weight (and likely muscle in the process) very quickly.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Exactly 5'11" 150 is far from overweight. I am 5'9" and I am trying to get to 150 from 176....

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Forget whether or not it's possible or realistic, I feel the better question is why you want to weigh 130 @ 5'11. I would think that would be extremely thin. I think you might be better served to get down to 145 or so, then do a muscle building phase followed by another fat loss phase. This would have you looking much better (in my opinion) then simply trying to lose tons of weight (and likely muscle in the process) very quickly.

This is what I thought immediately----I'm 5'11'' and 145lbs is a good weight. Listen to him, he knows. :)
  • hollycbee
    Options
    So what I'm hearing is that while it is /doable/ to meet my goal it might not be healthy or safe, and in the end I would look flabby and gain it all back anyways?

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I'll start with smaller goals (5lbs at a time) and make sure to prioritize strength training. :)