Sleep problems

Options
Does anyone else have troubles sleeping? I find after a heavy workout (legs) I don't sleep well. This seems counter intuitive. I workout in the AM and have no problem falling asleep (10 or 11 pm) but wake up multiple times at night. This works against me in the AM when I drag my *kitten* out of bed and do a mediocre workout. Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    You might want to try melatonin. It helps regulate your circadian rhythm and can help you stay asleep at night. It's done wonders for myself and my fiancé.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have a broken sleep pattern also. I've heard good things about melatonin also so i might give that a go myself.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It might be unrelated to your workouts. I would suggest keeping some king of sleep journal for a bit recording your workouts, caffeine intake/times, and sleep problems to see if you can determine whether it's the workouts or something else. If this doesn't improve you'll at least have something to show your doctor. Is there anything waking you up? Noises, headlights through the window, overheating, restless legs, etc?

I've always had insomnia and haven't noticed much of a change related to exercise. Melatonin helps me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. It also eventually started giving me nightmares. Magnesium helps a bit with both falling and staying asleep with no side effects that I've noticed. However, both melatonin and Mg are definitely a small push to sleep rather than say, Nyquil. :) I tend to avoid any OTC sleep aids because they tend to not work and/or leave me groggy in the morning.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for sleep apnea? My husband had gotten tons of energy after getting his Contsant Pressure Air Pump (CPAP). If it is muscle soreness you may look at using a roller or stretching more or at your levels of potassium and magnesium.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I used to sleep pretty bad until I recently bought a new bed. I always thought my old bed was comfortable, but I guess maybe not. With my latex foam bed I wake up better and find I don't toss and turn as much. At least it seems that way since before if I fell asleep under the covers they'd end up all over my room and my pillows on the floor. Now I seem to wake up in the same position I fell asleep in.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I take a couple Benedryl (generic version) when I go to bed. Non-habit forming and it helps. Also, I've had a couple back surgeries and back pain frequently wakes me up at night so I often take ibuprofen before I go to bed.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I get this too sometimes. I might even have very broken nights for 2 nights running, but then it settles out. It would bother me if I felt sleepy during the day.

I quite like using my Garmin Vivofit to track my movement while sleeping. It's been educational and helped me realize that I really sleep better when I go to sleep early and rise early.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Are you staying hydrated? Sometimes just drinking a bit more water will help.
  • fat2burn2014
    fat2burn2014 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking most of the bad patterns are stress related. Stupid work! We are due for a new bed and I plan on asking my doctor again. Maybe 8 years ago did a sleep test for apnea but it came back negative. I do snore a lot so I'm told. Thanks again.
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Work stresses me out too and lately I'm getting up two or three times in a night to go to the bathroom. I don't like to take it every night, but if I have a feeling I'm not going to sleep well, I take melatonin. It's great and I find that I'm less drowsy the next morning than if I'd taken benadryl or Advil pm. An even milder sleep assistant is tea with valerian root, such as celestial seasonings sleepy time extra. As for snoring, get a Silent Snooze at your local rite aid or Walgreens.
  • fat2burn2014
    fat2burn2014 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have tried melatonin, does not keep me asleep. Some years ago started taking a prescription but I don't like taking meds. Sleepy time tea is always in the house but again i still wake up. Thanks on the Silent Snooze! Is it a nasal strip? Or pill?
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I suffered a traumatic brain injury in January. Haven't had an unbroken night's sleep since. I mention it because there are other reasons you might not be sleeping. Talk to a doctor. You may have a problem that is preventing sleep. Anxiety, chemistry, sleep apnea. Don't mess around. You need your sleep.