Getting honest.

Options
I have decided to get a little more raw about MFP. As of now my diary is closed. I do not accept friend requests and my newsfeed isn't even updated. I guess I have always been so embarassed by my weight and habits that it feels good to get to talk to people on the forums but still hide in a way. I think opening up will help me. And not worry so much about what someone may think if I "mess up" aka not make the "best choice" and eat my calories in fruit loops one day. I also have this fear a local person may see my goals and all on here. I don't know. A part of me still just feels afraid! Anyone else? Thoughts?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First and foremost, you need to be honest with YOURSELF. If closing your diary and keeping your activity here a secret helps you to do that, then good for you. :) I did the same thing for a while, but then I found that having 'friends' here really helped me fight my way through. I still eat 'goodies' and 'crap', but now I don't really care who sees. This is MY journey. You do yours the way you need to in order to be successful. :flowerforyou:
  • Dentice143
    Dentice143 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    First and foremost, you need to be honest with YOURSELF. If closing your diary and keeping your activity here a secret helps you to do that, then good for you. :) I did the same thing for a while, but then I found that having 'friends' here really helped me fight my way through. I still eat 'goodies' and 'crap', but now I don't really care who sees. This is MY journey. You do yours the way you need to in order to be successful. :flowerforyou:

THIS!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i ate a box of fruit pebbles on Monday.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »

^^^^/thread

• Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    i ate a box of fruit pebbles on Monday.

Yum, yum...so jealous
  • shellecollins
    shellecollins Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was just like you! I was so ashamed of the state I was in and kept all the guilt and embarrassment inside. I knew what people thought of me, because I thought and said 100 times worse to myself. It wasn't until I had the realization that EVERYONE has something, and NO ONE has the power to make me feel any way I don't want to, that I changed. So I opened up and made friends on here, and believe it or not, they support me, and usually don't have anything mean to say. When/if someone becomes hurtful they get deleted. I hope you are eventually able to open up! I'm here for a motivational friend if ANYONE needs!!!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i think most of us started off that way, a little reserved. which is natural in most relationships in real life too. you start off a little guarded. don't look at it as shameful, you shouldnt be shamed. i think online, "hate" only comes when you invite it. its ok to stay guarded until you are comfortable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, if people don't like my binge issues, well they are free to unfriend me. I really don't care if people can see what I eat... I'm the first one to admit when I make bad decisions (but to be fair, when I go over I never click the 'complete your diary' button either). Heck it's the people who are perfect all the time and never slip up that annoy me, lol!
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Agree w/beamer. I personally get overwhelmed when I have friends on here (similar to in person too, ha). So, I skip the forums and share too, when I feel up to it. I also don't feel like I have to "perform" for anyone other than me when I add to my diary or do an exercise. This also prevents me from having to see a million random status updates.

Man, I'm cranky. Ha. But really, do what feels best for you.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have myfitnesspal synced with my facebook feed and my food diary is completely open. If I mess up all my family and friends can see it. When I'm doing well they can also see it. It's a great motivator!