Food you dont like but you eat it anyway

Options

Replies

• annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat things that I don't like, with the exception of the low fat cottage cheese I got on accident. I didn't want it to go to waste and I prefer the flavor of the 2% ... I like to eat it with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Which to me doesn't taste right on the low fat, that needs fruit, and I can't eat fruit first thing in the morning without getting an upset stomach.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't really like eggs but sometimes I eat them. There are ways to prepare them so I find them acceptable. Other than that, I can't think of anything I eat that I don't like.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as the people who don't eat foods they don't like. I just don't see the point. However, if there's a food that I don't like that's in a dish, but I can't taste it, I won't bother picking it out just because I know it's in there. My perfect example for that would be mushrooms in a pasta dish.

That's me for mushrooms and (cooked) celery. Raw celery and olives though, I won't even eat the dish it was in, because they give too much flavor and I really HATE them.

All food. If it were up to me we'd be able to take a daily pill or get a daily shot and not have to eat at all.

How in the world did you get fat then?
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    hollyk57 wrote: »
    I only eat food I like... and I like food - that's why I'm fat. :)

I'll second that.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Mine is a half pounder with cheese.
  • CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like most food, but I eat things like flax seed and wheat germ for health benefits and not because I enjoy the taste that much.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal has taught me the true value of a calorie, and I can tell you that there is no way I am wasting a single one of them forcing something I don't enjoy into my mouth. I am a picky eater, and there are still many food choices out there that I can enjoy that are still meeting my nutrition goals.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't think of anything. If I don't like something I don't buy it. The only exception I can think of is if I were a guest in someone's home. I'd eat what was served whether I cared for it or not.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Bananas. I don't like them at all, but sometimes I eat them because they're convenient.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Olives and artichokes. My fiancé loves them and I can't stand them. I've transitioned to not touching them again though. Vile things.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Why waste time, energy and kcal on something you don't enjoy?

I'm lucky (or unlucky perhaps) that there are very few foods that make me want to wretch. I personally can't stand raw tomatoes, raw onion, really stinky cheeses or liver. Are these foods full of nutrients? Yep. However I can get the same nutrition from foods I enjoy and not be miserable doing it.

As long as you are able to get adequate nutrition and eat a variety of other things you should be fine.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    All food. If it were up to me we'd be able to take a daily pill or get a daily shot and not have to eat at all.

you could try the soylent diet. Personally I find it unholy, but you would rather take pills it might be an interesting choice for you.

http://www.soylent.me/
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat things that I don't like, with the exception of the low fat cottage cheese I got on accident. I didn't want it to go to waste and I prefer the flavor of the 2% ... I like to eat it with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Which to me doesn't taste right on the low fat, that needs fruit, and I can't eat fruit first thing in the morning without getting an upset stomach.

Oh yeah, I end up eating foods I don't like when I accidentally buy something or try a new food that I can't stand but economy forces me to not waste it (if I can't give it to someone else).
  • drewba13
    drewba13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bananas. I hate their mushy texture, the chalkiness, even the taste. I eat them because they're great for you and one of the cheapest fruits available.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Nikki's Pumpkin Spiced Donut flavored Coconut Butter. I spent around $18 for it with shipping because I thought I'd love it, so I refuse to simply throw it away :x
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Cathalain wrote: »
    I've found that I've actually grown to enjoy some foods that I thought I hated because I "forced" myself to eat them. Over time, I grew used to them... which slowly turned into, "hey, this is really good".

Salmon would be one of them. I HATED salmon up until... oh, I'd say about six months ago. Then I thought, there's got to be something to it, so I'll try. My husband cooked that fish in a way that I really enjoyed, so I just kept trying and trying and trying it. Now? It's my favorite fish.

Sometimes "forcing yourself" to eat things you may not enjoy can turn into something positive. My experience, anyway.

I had a similar experience with salmon. I wouldn't go near it until about a year ago. We went out to a restaurant where my father ordered some grilled salmon. I tasted it and it was actually really good. I think earlier in life I was served overcooked salmon (disgusting) and it just stuck in my head that salmon was bad.

• liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    If I don't like it I really don't eat it. I'm to the point in my life where I've tried most fruits, veggies, and stuff that is available to me and I know what I do and don't like.
    That being said if I've never had it I'll try it atleast once or twice to give it a fair try.

Why force yourself to eat something you don't like? If you eat a tomato and you gag it down because it's healthy, the stress hormones released because of the displeasure you went through to eat it kinda negates the fact it was healthy.
    :\

LOL trust me, I am not getting stressed out from some tomatos in my salad.

I'm with you - I see value in eating something purely for its health benefits, even if I don't like it. I think eating something we don't like and thus eating it just because it's good for our body actually builds character (holy crap, I'm turning into my father). There's no stress involved, just good ol' fashioned logical "eating this is good for my body, so eating it is a good idea." I eat broccoli even though I'm not a fan. It has amazing health benefits, is super filling, and I feel good having eaten it. I do prefer to eat it with a wedge of Laughing Cow, however....
  • wendy16256
    wendy16256 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of yogurt but I eat it because it's healthy and keeps me, um, regular.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I really don't care much for chicken breast, but I eat it a lot, because it's an amazing lean protein. So what can ya do. If I get a salad or some dish with chicken breast I will eat all of it first to get it out of the way, lol.
    I don't totally hate it or anything but I would never pick it for pleasure.
  • Tilandra
    Options
    Full-grown raw spinach. Baby spinach I can handle, but my husband screwed up and brought home large-leaf spinach last grocery trip. I choke it down for my salads but it's so tough it's like chewing on grass clippings. :/