What's your water to oatmeal ratio?

Options
vinegar_husbands
vinegar_husbands Posts: 1,499 Member
I usually use 1 1/4-1/2 cups water to 1/2 cup of oats, so I can get a one serving. I'm a bit lazy, so sometimes the water boils off a little bit too much. That's why I use 1 1/4-1/2 cups, instead of 1 cup. :#

Replies

• lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use a 1/4 cup steel cut oats to little over 1/2 cup water. I cook them in the microwave.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For me.......1/3 cup instant steel cut oats & 1 cup water.

It's really going to depend upon what type of oats you start with and what texture you're going for.

If you're looking for a big serving here's a link to "growing oatmeal"

http://www.hungry-girl.com/videos/197-how_to_make_growing_oatmeal#chan15
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The creamiest combo is 2 parts cold water to 1 part oatmeal cooked on the stovetop. Now I prefer the microwave since it has eliminated cleaning out the saucepan.
    My husband microwaves 1/2 C. water and 1/2 C. oatmeal - gets something that look like road gravel - too coarse for me!
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just enough to use as paste.

54850889.png
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I buy 5 Grain, 10 Grain and Oats in bulk and mix them. Put some in a pan with Dried Cherries and Dried Cranberries. Then I add water until it is covered by about an inch. I whisk constanlty until it is done adding more water if I need it. Then I add chopped pecans before serving. Little butter and Brown sugar.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat steel cut oats. They are so hearty and fill me up. I bring 3 cups of water to a boil and then put on simmer and add 1 cup of oats and cover for 25 minutes. After the timer ends I turn off the eye and let them sit about 10 minutes and they are perfect! We add pecans, cranberries, raisin, honey and etc AFTER they are cooked.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends how you cook them. In the microwave I just use 3/4 cup of water for 40g of oats, but I use instant.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I just follow the directions. Which always says 1 cup water to 1/2 cup oats. It usually comes out the perfect consistency for me. Sometimes, it comes out runny, and I can never figure out what I did wrong lol But usually 1 cup water does not do me wrong. I don't like them runny, but I don't like 'em too dry, either.