Running in the rain

Options
First, I want to mention that I have no problems running in the rain. I love the rain, and I don't mind getting wet.

However, I am a beginning runner. So far my "real running gear" consists of good shoes and socks right now. In the summer I got away with running in a pair of sweatpants and a cotton t-shirt. It was too good to last. I know wearing both those things in the rain will weigh me down, and make it a very unpleasant run. Also, I live in Washington. It rains, a lot.

So here I am, I need to know what I need as the basics to run in the rain. What type of shirt, pants, jacket (hat? hood on the jacket?). I want to go running in the rain, but I didn't go out today because I don't have the right gear. Ideally I will be getting some tomorrow.

Also, I am on a budget, I can't afford anything like $100 for a jacket, or $60 for pants, so if you have any recommmendations that I can get at Target or Walmart, just until I can get saved up for better gear, that would be amazing.

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific recommendations on what to buy but as far as WHERE to buy, literally all my running clothes for all seasons/weather come from Winners or Old Navy. The only clothing item I spend more than $20-$30 on are my shoes. I think Marshall's has good quality cheap stuff too. Never bought from Target but I find Wal Mart gets misshapen really quickly.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I bought a running waterproof jacket quite cheaply from aldi. I also bought a running scarf/hat/an old thingy. Very inexpensive but made a huge difference.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I always tell people to check out Marshalls and TJ Maxx (not sure if you have any near you) but they always have name brand stuff for the cheap. For rain it really depends on the temp too, but for basic I have a nice wind breaker type running jacket that has air vents so I don't get too sweaty and keeps me dry on the outside too.
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The temperature here rarely drops below 40 (F), especially at the times I run (I work night shift, so I run around noon when it is already fairly warm. I do have a Marshall's nearby. Basically the stores I have around that are less than a 30 minute drive are Walmart, Target and Marshalls.

What types of materials am I looking for? I know next to nothing about running gear except that moisture wicking is good.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I got a lot of high end stuff cheap on ebay. Non of it matches, but that doesn't bother me. I also love to run in the rain, or snow, but warning: the "wintery mix" stuff HURTS!!! For the cold and wet, just remember cotton kills. (so go with the tech fabrics.)
  • soxobsessed
    Options
    once I get home and look at my jacket I can tell you material but it is very light and since I live in MA I will have to do layers with it once it gets very cold (super) I think with you just a nice wicking shirt (I get all mine at Marshalls) and a jacket with either shorts or pants should be fine. When you walk into Marshalls just find the sporting clothes section and it is like the heaven of workout clothes. Should have all you need there
  • soxobsessed
    Options
    my jacket is pretty much all polyester vgjj2j23hmmc.jpg
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    you would be surprised what fancy gear you find at thrift stores in expensive neighborhoods. Best intentions purchase by wealthy sit unused and end up donated.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    A good baseball esque hat, poly jacket or breathable jacket. And some other shoes to switch out due to drying. Philly Love run was constant downpour no one melted, probably due to their gear ;)
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Glad you asked this. I'm in Portland so I am right there with ya in this weather and I need to get some rain gear as well. I don't want to be thwarted by a little rain, especially when we can't escape it!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    liznotyet wrote: »
    you would be surprised what fancy gear you find at thrift stores in expensive neighborhoods. Best intentions purchase by wealthy sit unused and end up donated.
    This, lol... It's so true. I'm in Portland too, where there were torrents of rain today and there's no end in sight. Aim to stay dry. Don't worry too much about fancy fabrics. As you run longer and get more "serious," you will discover things you want/need. I found rain pants at the Columbia outlet here and DH bought me a jacket at an auction. Neither are wicking though. I end up drenched in rain on the outside and sweat on the inside :blush:
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's significantly colder where you are, I presume so. My winter gear is bright gloves, a peaked hat (keeps the rain out of the eyes), longsleeve compression top & bottom, bright tshirt and regular running shorts.

If it's raining it's raining, you're only wet / cold for so long. But that might be my locale.

Oh and band-aids over the nipples. Cloth band-aids (tough strips, they're called in Aus).
  • SquishyLaughter
    SquishyLaughter Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips. I'll start with a jacket if I can find one, I was going to get a moisture wicking shirt anyway. And a hat will be a must, sadly I own nothing but beanies!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Just buy anything for running. Ignore the rain. It will be irrelevant once you start and the more you wear, the more of a burden it tends to be. I would wear a long sleeve t-shirt if it was a bit cold and then everything else standard.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Start entering races for the technical t-shirts, a lot of it depends on the temperature rather than just the rain, I would say cotton t-shirts and sweatpants are not likely to be comfortable if they get wet, online cheap running tights and technical t-shirts will be fine if it's still relatively warm, it's when it starts to get cold you have to start looking at the better stuff as an investment, just waterproof isn't helpful, it has to be breathable as well.
    Personally I don't wear a hat, I get too warm with a hat on, so I just let me hair get wet and jump in the shower when I get in, but that's personal choice.
    I got a gore wind stop soft shell jacket in the sale for £65 which is brilliant in the winter (on it's 3rd winter now) and gore wind stop running tights which were £100 but I honestly couldn't live without now (again on their 3rd winter), both expensive, but if I break it down to how long I've used them it's £20 a year for the jacket and £33 a year for the tights!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i wear a technical t-shirt that is made up of a breathable wickening material, i got it for 1 for £10 and a different one for £7, they are fantastic, nice a night and don't weight me down when it rains

i got them from go outdoors, i'm not sure if they exist in the US but you should be able to pick something up fairly cheap
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't like "rain gear" because it makes me sweat. I just like to wear an EMS lightweight base layer under my regular clothes. It doesn't keep you dry necessarily, but it does keep you warm without being overly sweaty.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I ran in a cold nor'easter last night.
    Wore my usual shoes, socks, and shorts. Long sleeve tech shirt ($20 clearance at Sports Authority).
    Brooks running jacket. Not totally waterproof, water resistant. Breathes. I don't sweat more than normal in it. I forget where I got it, probably either a running store or S.A., for less than $30.
    I wore a Brooks running hat. $20 from http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ . It's a cool weather baseball style - it's too hot above ~60F.

I should have worn my set of Nike hat and gloves. I bought it in the Nike factory store in NE Portland for less than $20.