Diet and Zero Sodas

Options
Okay, so it doesn't have calories or sugar, but is it going to affect my diet negatively? I've heard good and bad things, but I'm drinking one right now for the carbonation to fill my stomach. I'm hungry but I don't have calories left to spare...

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    DRINK IT!!

I started a pro-pop/soda thread/group quite a long time ago and had a couple dozen supporters so booooooo to the naysayers!

It's a great sweet 0-cal option when you've run out of calories or need to feel more full in the afternoon or perk up. It's probably not a good idea to guzzle tones and tones but I’m all for it. I have about 1 a day at dinner b/c I already drink 8 glasses of water at work then 2-3 more after working out at night.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key :wink:
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    bump
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Fake sugar and chemicals in diet soda are not good for you. Have carbonated water with lemon instead.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Water will fill you up as much as soda will, but without all those harmful chemicals. Diet sodas actually make you feel hungry, even when you've eaten, because it tricks your brain into thinking you're about to get sugar, and then you don't, and your brain gets annoyed by this, and sends a message to you that it needs that sugar by making you feel hungry! Which is the exact opposite of why you're drinking it!!!

Plus, those chemicals are REALLY unhealthy. If you really need the carbonation, how about seltzer water?
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drink them. Not every single day but especially if I'm at the movies or eating out or something like that. Sometimes I want that 4 o'clock caffeine boost....
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I drink it occasionally (like 1 a day, which is down from like 10 a day, so I consider it ok) and I don't see that it's impeded my weight loss at all.
  • ariellespiller
    Options
    I've heard that the sugar substitutes are actually really bad for you...but I don't know that for a fact. Any thoughts, anyone?

Bump!
  • mrsltd08
    mrsltd08 Posts: 9
    Options
    I only have one a day since it's not that good for you. I can't do without one at all. But you should totally try to limit the amount you are taking in. The sodium will effect you as well. Make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day.

I have found if I'm not peeing like a pregnant lady then I'm not losing weight.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You're better off having a regular soda by the time you consider all the sodium and artificial sweetners in a diet soda.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes, the fake sugar is actually bad for you. I spoke to my doctor about it after I started getting headaches from it. Her advice "don't eat fake sugar"

There's so much controversy around fake sugar, so it's hard to know what to believe. However, if pregnant women can't have it, how does it make it okay for the rest of us? If other countries have banned particular fake sugars how come the 2nd time around the government approved it for consumption?

People who drink diet soda, on average, weigh 10lbs heavier than those that don't. Just sayin'

You're better off with LESS of the real thing. Some fake sugars caused bladder cancer during the trials to get it approved and it was all swept under the rug when they went on the market.

Thank about it.
  • trez8181
    trez8181 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well, a new study suggests that it can increase the chances for stroke. That said, I doubt that one or two a day does much harm. Water, obviously, is better. That said, I've found that a diet soda can curb my desire for something bad.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    You can't deprive yourself of everything..I drink diet pop atleast 1-2 times a day and keep it in moderation...Not going to hurt u :)
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're any cals or sugar in crack either... You'll get varying opinions on just how healthy it is so the decision is yours.

From my perspective, drinking regular soda is just plain bad for you (unless in slight moderation) and drinking diet soda as a replacement is a mental crutch. Instead of questioning whether it's acceptable to drink it question why you want to. Your body is thirsty for hydration, you're mind is making the soda association. Part of getting to a healthy both physically and mentally is reprogramming your body to see food as primarily a fuel source.

Stepping off my soapbox... one step at a time right? Do what you can, if cutting soda isn't goona happen right now than make it a goal. Long story short I don't buy into artificial sweeteners being better than regular sugar. Chicken McNuggets are no substitute for chicken either.
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In my opinion and experience, diet pop has made NO difference in my weight loss. I have one 32 oz pop a day. When I stopped it, I was just cranky! LOL. I stopped for 2 wks and I didn't lose any additional weight. So, I say moderation is key and go for it!:happy:
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    I've never actually seen ANYTHING - any evidence or study at all - that proves the claims made about fake sugars being bad for your health, other than people saying "It's artificial. It must be bad for you." (Which, as a general rule, is true - our bodies do tend to work better with real food.)
    Honestly, I think sugar is much worse for you, unless it's naturally occurring like in fruit. (There's no reason to have "diet" fruit juice come on now.)
    I drink a decent amount of diet soda, as well as iced tea and energy drinks sweetened with artificial sugars. But you have to see how your body reacts to it.
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    Girl I drink it all the time.. Just make sure you dont drink like 5-6// I normally just drink one with my lunch and dinner.. My Fav is Coke Zero. I try switching it up too with Diet Squirt or the Diet Snapples...
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    hmmm... i wondered this too... I think pop is discusting but my husband drinks so much coke zero. I tell him not to but his arguement is that it's Zero! he has type 1 diabetes so he can't drink regular. I don't know why I think it's bad... it's just stuck in my head that it is.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I drink it daily but have plenty of water too. Don't have headaches, don't feel hungry afterward. I don't drink coffee and rarely have booze so the soda is my vice, we all deserve one.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt drink a 12 pack but three or four a day wont hurt you.