Tips for weight loss

Options
I am writing in the community board to ask for help. I am wondering what the best tips are for weight loss. If anyone would like to respond with some helpful tips just comment. Thanks!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories than you burn. It really is that simple. No tricks needed.
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on where you are currently at, what your goal is, how active you are etc. Please feel free to friend me. I'm happy to share what has helped for me. ankdworak
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Lol - Why would I get flagged?
  • corriebenedict
    corriebenedict Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Diet and Exercise. There is no magical trick... How bad do you want it is the question? I log and journal my food and exercise and hold myself accountable. I've lost 70 lbs and then got off track and quickly gained back 20. Once it's gone you have to continue the diet and exercise to maintain. It's HARD WORK. Good luck.
  • Aprylevelyn
    Aprylevelyn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Avoid added sugar (including honey and fake sweeteners) like the plague... that includes, white flour, white rice and juice. That will help you avoid A LOT of unnecessary empty calories. Drink only water if you can. Eat WHOLE fruit. Unsweetened Almond milk is very low in calories also. Lots of fiber! if working out is an obstacle for you just start with walking, stretching and walk as fast as you can when you do walk. Learn how to make hearty salads as well as your own dressings. Getting enough protein will make you fill fuller longer. I keep hard boiled eggs on hand at all times. Cottage cheese with raspberries. I don't actually follow Atkins diet but people tell me that's how I eat. Ive never avoided any fruits or vegetables at any times. I also don't overly worry about my fat intake. With all that being said... I still stay within my calorie goals as much as possible. Track your calories with the App... it can really educate you and make you so much more conscious of what you are eating. Good luck
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Eat right and exercise.

Good start: http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/

I do not know. I've seen a lot of people complain about being flagged for nothing when they were flagged for being caustically nasty and rude, while mocking and insulting others.

But the other day, two posts were flagged for mentioning menstruation and now that.

I don't get it.

??
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I guess posting the 100% truth makes some people mad....lol.
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Watch your calories, don't guess on how much something weights (measure your food!) I know it sounds like an OCD nightmare but is not, once you get used to it, you just naturally do it and then you get good at "eye measuring) WATCH SODIUM, is not only the calories what affects our body, but other things like sodium make you fluctuate in water weight and make you feel bloated!...

Work out regularly but don't rely on "good spirits and motivation" some days you just DON'T WANT TO DO IT, but you do it anyway!

There is no magic pill, trust me, so set small goals instead of big ones so you see your goal closer and closer!

best of luck!!!
  • Aprylevelyn
    Aprylevelyn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whoops!! your a runner. That's awesome. Sorry, I should have looked at your profile before commenting :wink:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

No gifs maybe? Anti-calorie speech? Phantom flagging? >:)
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options

i was wondering the same thing.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options

The truth will set you free, or get you flagged. I forget which one it is.

• theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My best tip is the only thing that has helped me. I absolutely have to log every single thing I eat. That gives you a clear picture. If I think I don't need to do that, and eventually see the weight coming back, and I start again. I am down about 34 pounds by just counting every calorie, and quit eating when I have reached my daily intake. And any exercise speeds the process.
    Good Luck!
  • NelsonMoore
    NelsonMoore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here's what worked for me.

Visit reputable websites that can help you estimate how many calories you burn in a day.

Set a realistic goal, such as eating 500 calories less per day than that number. 500 calories per day times 7 days in a week comes out to eating 3,500 fewer calories in a week than your body is burning. That 3,500 calories is about 1 lb. worth of fat. Don't get too worked up about exact numbers. Just have confidence that if you eat somewhere around 3,500 less per week than you need to sustain your current body, they you are going to begin losing somewhere around a pound per week.

Track every single thing you eat on the My Fitness Pal phone app. It is truly fantastic and you will never, ever control your eating if you do not count exactly what you eat. Stay within your goal of eating the certain calorie amount.

I was a very sedentary person so I got out and started walking. I began with a 20-minute walk per day, then eventually moved to 40 minutes, and now sometimes I even walk 60 minutes per day. Add this, or any other exercise you do, in the My Fitness Pal app.

The next step is to get yourself involved with a community of people who are looking to achieve the same goal. I went out and invited three personal friends to join me in the goal of losing 25 lbs. in 25 weeks. One of them dropped out but the other two are in it with me. We keep each other accountable and even make it a bit of a weekly competition to keep us motivated.

The next step is to stay faithful. If you execute the plan above, or a customized one for you that is suited to your lifestyle and needs, then it will work. You may need to tweak it here and there and you may not see the exact same results every week. But if you do it, if you truly eat fewer calories than your body burns, you will see your body take your fat and burn it off.

Another tip: if you have a specific goal in mind, like losing 20 lbs, then go get a backpack or something and fill it with books until it weighs 20 lbs. Then pick that backpack up and imagine what it would feel like if you had to carry that around all day. Then realize that YOU ARE carrying that around all day, in the form of extra weight. And try to imagine how good it will feel to shed that weight and be able to do so much more in life with ease.

Best of luck!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    OK, this is going to sound harsh, but... I took a look at your diary... You've been over your calories nearly every single day that I checked (and not by just a little--you're 400-500 calories over!). Eat more whole foods--chicken that's not chicken nuggets, and vegetables that are not french fries. You can have treats, but you shouldn't waste a quarter of your daily allowance on cookies and ice cream.

You've run a significant number of races this year--about 1 per week! I imagine that you're running additional days as well. It shouldn't be hard to lose weight when you are doing that much running--you just need to clean up your diet.

(I only run 2-4 races per year, but I run 20-35 miles per week. And nearly all of my weight loss can be attributed to running.)
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food on a good digital scale and log EVERYTHING. Start learning how to cook well and make your own food. The reason so many people are fat is because of fast food, pre-packaged food that is laden in fat, carbs and salt.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Food scale=your best friend
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - eat less then you take in, get a food scale and weight log, measure everything, and work out/move more (I prefer heavy lifting).

oh and no foods are "bad" you can eat everything in moderation just hit your calorie and macro goals for the day….
  • whateverfloats
    whateverfloats Posts: 22
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Drink only water and tea. Only eat when you're hungry or cranky.

That generally works although I find that sometimes I'm hungry and don't realise it. So eating a tiny snack (fruit or veggies) every couple hours does the trick. That keeps me from being obsessive about calories anyway.