First 5K advice?!

Options
2»

Replies

• jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would add is to buy running gloves, especially if you get cold hands easily. I love running in the fall, but my hands get cold quickly. When I don't have my gloves on, it's not nearly as enjoyable a run.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The most important thing is to finish! I just did my first 5K on Saturday and was so nervous that my heartrate averaged 168 the entire time (yikes! That is way high for me). However, I surprised myself by finishing 5/24 for my age category (30-39 females) with a time of 26:15 (pace 8:27). That's not my fastest time, but I am happy with my 1st race result and my new goal is to finish in the top 3 for my age group. It was 48 degrees the morning I ran and the cold air was a little tough on my throat -- however, I had just gotten over a week-long very bad sore throat, so that didn't help. Pace yourself!! Start off in a "warm-up" mode, then increase speed. I just kept it steady the whole time and didn't do the HIIT-type stuff I normally do on the treadmill or when I am running at home. Don't be afraid, and remember everyone is there doing the same thing as you. My next run will not be one where I am nervous! Enjoy!! Good luck. :)

ETA: I only started running in March (first time in my life, ever!) so ANYTHING is possible! I think your pace you have so far sounds really good.
  • MallieRose91
    MallieRose91 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback everyone! I know I will be a nervous wreck the day of but will have so much fun once it starts! I am going to wear my heart rate monitor and GPS sports watch to record my time for my own personal satisfaction. I am just going to do my best! :D
  • pbleonard1
    pbleonard1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The conventional wisdom is to dress as if it is 10-15 degrees warmer than it actually is. You may be a little chilly at the starting line, but you'll warm up fast once you start running.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    regarding the water bottle situation... I literally tie my water bottle to me when I go running. it's got a loophole, and I tie shoe strings through it and wear it like a messenger bag. sounds silly, probably looks silly, takes some getting used to, but I don't have to HOLD my bottle in my hand when I get out there. :) have fun! stretch, stretch, stretch!
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Put a cooler full of beer in the trunk of your car, then you will finish real fast!

^Quality advice right there!

Remind yourself that no matter what you're going to have a good day at this fun run, and here's why...

It is a GOOD day for simply crosssing the finish line.
    It is a GREAT day when you cross the finish line in a totally doable time (say the 45/55 min average mentioned above)
    It is an AWESOME day when you cross the finish line and beat a personal goal

The important part is to have fun and make it a good day!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Okay, so my friend just asked me to do a 5K with her...that is on Saturday! It would be my first 5K, I would be very unprepared, and I was about to tell her no. Now I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and just do it. It is a glow themed 5K so I assume it is for fun as they want you to wear tons of glow sticks and even costumes. Butttt....I am afraid I will do horrible! Also, I live in Northern New York so it is already in the 40s here. This will be very late afternoon when it gets dark and I have no experience running outside in the cold at all. That is scary to me. I run on the treadmill and have got my 2 mile time down to 18:30. The treadmill in comfortable conditions is much different then outside in the cold though, plus I haven't ran 3 miles in months (hurt my knee but my last 3 mile was 27 minutes). Any advice? Should I skip it until I can properly prepare for another? If I do it, what should I wear since it will be cold and I have no clue what you are supposed to wear when running in the cold? Any advice, help, etc. is appreciated as I am completely new to this and am chickening out.

5k's are ALL about fun...
    It's a fun atmosphere, usually some silly element to it (Roc race, color runs, zombie runs, etc)...SO relax and enjoy! If you have to walk a little, who cares! Better than sitting on the sidelines :)

• MallieRose91
    Options
    What do you guys think about the outfit I decided on? It is supposed to be around 45 degrees Fahrenheit with possible rain. I got a thin track jacket, a very thin long sleeve athletic top, and a pair of athletic pants. Too much? I am worried I will be freezing to death at the start and finish because afterwards is an after party that lasts 2hours. I will be alone and don't want to bring a bag or anything to run with. Advice?
  • rpsg0534
    Options
    My daughters did a glo themed race in the dark and it is a very different atmosphere than a 5 k during the day. This track was not well lit and so many people did not really run. They had a great deal of fun, but it was not really a serious race.
  • MallieRose91
    Options
    I really hope it is lit enough to run! It is going to be in our city park so I am guessing they will be using the street lights along the sidewalks...I guess I will find out when we get there :/
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Have you ever been to a race? The atmosphere is horrable with people dressed like bananas and pro wrestlers and such dancing around with or without music. Those people are nuts and even dress like them at times. If you start going to races you will just get addicted and want to do more!

So best just to skip it! ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Double post
  • MallieRose91
    Options
    Hahaha Love it! Man, it sounds horrible! ;)
  • MallieRose91
    Options
    Update!! 5K was a success! Had an amazing time, did well, and it was surprisingly easy for me! I even wanted to keep going! haha Here is some pictures!
    iopy6yilcroq.jpg
    prxvblnbkhuv.jpg
    wjbp4u85f7su.jpg

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Great job! Thsnks for the update and enjoy your new addiction! :D
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    As Wheelhouse says, be careful, very easily to get addicted!

Great addiction to have though. Let us know when you're planning your first half...