Measuring in UK imperial not USA.

Options
I cooked a whole packet of this to store for the next few days. I had 1 cup this evening of this. How many grams is this and how many calories as when I try to guesstimate the grams it states well over 321 calories for 1 cup. Such a little portion too.
And is fitnesspal in USA metric measurements? Sure Is confusing.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=254878614

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    No idea - I weigh my pasta dry and either use the barcode or look for an entry in grams. You shouldn't have any problems finding an entry for that, it's the one I normally get.

If you cooked the whole pack could you maybe work out the fraction you used?

It is quite high in cals btw, I usually have 75g (which isn't much) and I think it's about 300ish cals.

ETA:258 for 74g (dry) just checked.
  • almorah
    almorah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had scanned the barcode then it came up as per serving size 75.0g, so was wondering if that is 1 cup full? Thank you for the reply btw. :smile:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Ok so how many cups can you get from the whole thing. Take the calories listed for the whole package and then divide by the number of cups of the whole thing that you cooked. It is really high calorie.

And FYI there is no US metric. A gram is a gram is a gram, no matter where you are. It is the SI unit system (proper name for metric) and is not nearly as confusing as the imperial system.
  • almorah
    Options
    Puts me off eating pasta now!! High cals. :( However, I workout a lot during the day, most days so sometimes I need that carb 'underload'!! :p
    The reason why I had said USA is because I keep seeing online, usa vs uk measurements system. That's what got me confused and fyi I am not maths savvy at all, Im afraid!
    Appreciate any help on this one. I have just joined not long ago and this is my first posting.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,141 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's about 28 g = 1 ounce and 75 g = 2.6 ounces. 1 cup =8 ounces

I don't want to be pushy, but I suggest getting a food scale and weighing things in grams. If you're not used to US dry measurements, it's a pain to convert when things are listed in grams. Oh, and weigh pasta dry. You get more and a serving doesn't look so pathetic. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    It's about 28 g = 1 ounce and 75 g = 2.6 ounces. 1 cup =8 ounces

I don't want to be pushy, but I suggest getting a food scale and weighing things in grams. If you're not used to US dry measurements, it's a pain to convert when things are listed in grams. Oh, and weigh pasta dry. You get more and a serving doesn't look so pathetic. :)

No. 1 cup is 8 fluid ounces. Volume and weight are not the same thing, and it's impossible to accurately use volume units for solids.

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Unless your baking a recipe that's using US cup measurements then ignore cup measurements and use grams, it's far more exact and less stressful when working out your calorie intake.
  • almorah
    Options
    After researching extensively online about calories of pasta I am now going to the store tomorrow and buy an abundance of Spaghetti Squash instead. Cannot believe the very low calories and how easy it is to prepare this veg. Stab with a knife all over about 12 mins in the microwave then cut in half and scoop out seeds and spaghetti scoop the flesh. 4O CALORIES per cup too!! That's it, I am converted!! Easiest conversion than all of this maths!!
  • almorah
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    Unless your baking a recipe that's using US cup measurements then ignore cup measurements and use grams, it's far more exact and less stressful when working out your calorie intake.

Thank you!!
  • almorah
    Options
    well now it seems I cant even get hold of buying spaghetti squash in the UK!! How is that even possible? GRR!!