Nut Butters, good or bad?

Options

Replies

• SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It seems like most weight loss advice *encourages* eating peanut butter as a way to lose weight but I don't really see how this makes sense?

It doesn't. There are no superfoods for weightloss unless you count speed (the drug) as a food.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    Every time I see this post I think it's about nutter butters.... now I want some!!!

IMG_3590-600x400.jpg

Dip them in white chocolate, and put a little face on them with melted milk chocolate, and they are great "ghost" halloween treats! Yum.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hard to fit in sometimes because they are high in calories, but if you can fit them in, go for it! Are you weighing it with a food scale? Nut butters are high in calories so it is very easy to underestimate how much you are eating.
    I read on MFP that peanut butter is high in protein

Don't forget Nutella too!

Peanut butter + Nutella + bread or brioche = 'Reece's' sandwiches, soooo my downfall. Nice to know its high in protein though :smile:

• dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    girlgonecountry.com/recipes-2/cookie-dough-butter-primal-gluten-free-low-carb/

Do not follow this link if you want to stop eating nut butters! Found it on Pinterest last night, thought this crowd would enjoy!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    tbelle_g wrote: »
    I have a serious addiction to any nut butter, peanut butter, sunflower butter, almond butter...but each 2 tablespoon serving is around 200 calories!

I try to eat a serving for breakfast every other day. Will this cause weight gain? I've gained weight over the summer and I have no idea what caused it, I am wondering if it's the nut butter.

It seems like most weight loss advice *encourages* eating peanut butter as a way to lose weight but I don't really see how this makes sense?

What are your experiences?

Nut butters can be a great source of protein and healthy fats, and small servings of nuts daily have been correlated with a healthy weight. Pay attention to ingredients!! A good nut butter should contain nuts and salt. That's all. No additional oils or sweeteners are needed. If you can't find a good nut butter, it's super easy to make your own in a food processor or even a little bullet blender. Try nuts other than peanut and add some herbs or spices like cinnamon or ginger with almonds or hazel nuts, or savory herbs like rosemary and thyme with pistachios or Brazil nuts.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    I LOVE Nutzzo.

My reason isn't so much squeezing in the calories it's that it's $12-$17 a jar.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches are so good. If they are bad, I don't want to be good.

To the OP, there is no such thing as a bad food. Calories are all that matter for weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hard to fit in sometimes because they are high in calories, but if you can fit them in, go for it! Are you weighing it with a food scale? Nut butters are high in calories so it is very easy to underestimate how much you are eating.
    I read on MFP that peanut butter is high in protein

Don't forget Nutella too!

Peanut butter + Nutella + bread or brioche = 'Reece's' sandwiches, soooo my downfall. Nice to know its high in protein though :smile:

It's really not high in protein. I don't know what people keep saying that...
  • justinbracken
    Options
    PB2 is a good substitute if you're restricting your fat intake or have already met your fat for the day but still want the flavor.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I use PB2 in my proteins shakes for the flavor. It's really yummy!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter but don't find it satisfying so I eat it occasionally as a treat. I do have a great stew recipe that uses peanut butter in it.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a good substitute if you're restricting your fat intake or have already met your fat for the day but still want the flavor.

If you LOVE peanut butter, PB2 is just NOT a good substitute. Ewww. . . LOL
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Nut butter is not good or bad, it is just food.

This... end thread.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    Every time I see this post I think it's about nutter butters.... now I want some!!!

IMG_3590-600x400.jpg

Dip them in white chocolate, and put a little face on them with melted milk chocolate, and they are great "ghost" halloween treats! Yum.

I use mini-chocolate chips for the ghost eyes. And sometimes I'll use almond bark instead of the white chocolate. So cute and easy to make. Everyone loves them.
  • vegankalequeen
    Options
    I'm a vegan and peanut butter is my religion.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »

IMG_3590-600x400.jpg

I use mini-chocolate chips for the ghost eyes. And sometimes I'll use almond bark instead of the white chocolate. So cute and easy to make. Everyone loves them.

Get the mini nutter butters, some hershey kisses and mini chocolate chips... melt the chocolate chips, adhere the hershey kisses, using the melted chocolate, to the mini nutter butters and top that with a mini chocolate chip and you have an acorn... ;)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

IMG_3590-600x400.jpg

hahaha just bought some today :) for the hubby of course ;)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Sesame tahini is useful for lots of recipes, like sauce for japanese noodles and shrimp, or to make baba ghanoush (although technically it's from a seed, not a nut.) Nut butters aren't just for spreading on stuff. You can make all sorts of tasty things from it.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal with peanut butter or cookie spread almost every morning. This works out to about 350-400 calories. It has not caused weight gain yet.

Most people seem to recommend it more for boosting calories when you struggle to meet your goal. A lot of people fresh to their weight loss goals struggle meeting their goal because they find that 'healthy' food tends to be more filling that what they used to eat, without realizing that many high calorie foods actually are healthy. So, nut butters, avocado, nuts, peanuts, etc can be eaten to prevent them from eating too few calories.

If you think the calories are too high for your goals, PB2 is pretty good. I like mixing it with milk instead of water. Makes it creamier.
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Weell, I like peanut butter also. What you could do is warm up the PB so you can more easily spread a small amount onto bread. Or, instead of bread, eat a small amount on celery. That way, sure, you might be eating 2 tbsp, but you will be able to spread it on maybe 4 pieces of celery and have a hearty snack.