Question for those successful at losing weight...

Options
For those of you who are having success losing weight, is it more important to eat whatever and just stay under or at your calorie goal or is it better to nitpick all the macro/micro nutrients? I have been trying to balance all the macro/micro stuff and it's driving me crazy!

Replies

• Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Calories in/out is the priority and how I lost my first 30 pounds. However, I had to pay more attention to macros as I got closer to my goal weight. I focused on high protein/low carb and have been at maintenance for several months. It is very important that you find a healthy lifestyle you can maintain for the rest of your life. There is no way I could restrict all of the tasty treats I enjoy permanently. Losing weight is difficult, but with reasonable goals and support, it doesn't have to be miserable. Feel free to add me as a friend and/or message me anytime. I'm always willing to try and help :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Focus on calories. If you are a normal person with normal needs, and eat a reasonably varied diet, the rest will fall into place more or less by itself.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I do the former and I've lost almost 75 lbs. I try not to deprive myself of anything, just make it fit into my calorie allotment for the day.
  • ckkirby123
    ckkirby123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you really want to successfully lose weight, you have to make your weight loss plan relatively simple and easy to stick to. If you're already going crazy trying to balance your nutrients, you'll just get frustrated and go back to your old habits. I've lost 30 lbs and what worked for me was making smarter food choices at each meal, watching my portion sizes, trying not to eat when bored or watching TV and working out 4 to 6 times a week (even if that means just taking a walk...) My point is, you know yourself, do something you KNOW you will stick to...consistency over time is the key.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    At first, I only worried about calories. Now that I'm at goal weight, I'm trying to pay more attention to protein and carbs. I don't worry about fat. I'm almost always way under on carbs, but have been meeting my protein goal most days.
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Calories, calories, calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    First, you should see a doctor when beginning a weight loss journey. Get a goal weight and daily calorie limit. Nine out what foods you should and shouldn't be eating. Get restrictions for or be cleared to do all the exercise you want to do. Until then...

Start with calories. Get that under control. Eating right will help: http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/

Take a multivitamin. Later, you can worry about the rest.
  • Flookbird
    Flookbird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think the macros thing only really needs to come into play once you have lost the weight. There's no harm in looking at while losing but as has been said, if it's annoying you it's not worth doing as you'll give up. I've lost over 5st and never paid attention to them! Now I'm almost at my goal I do look at them a bit more but seem to hit them without really trying?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lost my first half of my weight just using a calorie deficit, then I realized the importance of macros/micros.

Carbs for energy
    Fats for absorbtion of vitamins/minerals and satiety
    Protien for building/maintaining muscle growth of hair/nails etc

Truth of the matter is this...if you watch your macros the calories do fall into place.

but strictly for weight loss it is calories, health and nutrition macros/calories
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    At first I just worried about calories. As I read more, and learned more, I focused on making sure I got enough protein (to maintain muscle mass), fiber (to keep everything working right) and fat (to make sure I felt full and made the most of the micronutrients I did eat).

It was a step-wise thing. Start simple and if you want to, then include the other stuff later. Really, whatever works for you.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I think focusing on staying at your calorie goal is most important when you're first starting. Macros are important but shouldn't drive you crazy :) I look at my macros out of curiousity and I do try to hit my goals but mostly strive to stay within my calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Calories in are the highest priority for me. Second is to make sure I do not go over my total carb goal for the day (I am T2 diabetic). I try to hit my protein goal and let the fat and the micros fall where they will.

58841349.png
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I would just add that losing weight doesn't mean losing fat. Without protein and exercise a lot of that weight loss is muscle. Don't lose muscle. Without getting your calories right you simply can't lose weight. But there are a lot of reasons why you want to have the proper balance in your diet. I will know if my calories are skewed at the end of the day because my body will be craving things where I am short.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    you have to start somewhere is my motto...without driving yourself crazy or else you won't stick to it. so when people first start a diet and want to overhaul A-Z i think thats overwhelming for most. just start with something easy. I think its easiest to just start with calorie count. once you feel ok after a few weeks with that under your belt then start with WHAT you are spending your calories on nutrient wise and this is where the whole macro/micro thing comes into play.

for me i don't even get that specific. i just try to eat unprocessed as much as possible and always have something fresh on on my plate (read fruit or veggie) with every meal in addition to staying in my caloric range to lose weight. for me its about being healthy and losing weight is just a by product of that approach.
    i don't want to overcomplicate it. keeping it simple i think is best for the long run.
  • reba020
    reba020 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Calories here too
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So far I'm just using the calorie counter to stay at or under and it's working fine for me. I do pay attention to what I'm eating. I know which foods are nutrient rich, protein rich and which ones are empty carbs. I try to choose satisfying foods that will not have me poking around in the cupboard for munchies in two hours. But I really don't want to be counting a lot of stuff. For me, that's a quick way for me to lose interest. I log my food and exercise and stay under my limit, period. It seems to be working, but I'm not due to weigh until the 30th, so I don't know how much I've lost. It's enough to know that it's happening.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My first mistake when I lost my weight was focusing on calories in/out and not paying enough attention to nutrition itself. I think generally, we have it backwards. Once you focus on nutrition and its role in your body and properly taking care of your body, the weight will come off the way it should.

Always burn more than you are eating. On that note: learn to get your macronutrients in and essential nutrients as well. I cannot stress enough to you how much more important it is to develop a healthy body and not develop diseases because of lack of nutrients than to see a number drop on a scale. If you're in it for the long haul, I'd suggest learning nutrition and fueling your body the way we are meant to. I promise the weight will come off if you do so.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I lost first 90-100lbs focused on calories only. When i finally hit a stall i started focusing on increasing protein & reducing carbs. For me, It would've been too much to do both cals & macros at same time.

I use 40/30/30 - c/p/f. I'm not horribly strict but i do push for 100g protein.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    The only macro I pay any attention to is protein. I have found personally when I eat between 80-100g of protein per day I feel more satiated and have to fight off cravings less.