Help! Starting lifting routine and trying to build lean muscle

Options
Hi everyone!

I have lost about 20 lbs (sometimes more or less depending on weight fluctuations) and am looking to do more weight lifting than cardio (still keeping some cardio though). I really want to find some books to educate myself on lifting, nutrition (I am assuming with the change in workout I need a change in meal planning) and other fitness information.

Does anyone have any books, blogs, or anything else to recommend?

Replies

• scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    my suggest to you is hire a PT for a while... he or she will help guide you.. it cost a little more but if you can afford it ....then it truly is worth it.
  • justinbracken
    justinbracken Posts: 4
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There is an unending supply of fitness information out there, online and in book stores. Too much, in fact, to really digest it all. After 25 years of eating and breathing this industry, I could make some recommendations, but honestly, there is no one book that does everything right in my opinion. For a beginner I suggest sticking to the basics and not subscribing to the latest fads as these will often lead you down an unknown path.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A great writer is Mark Rippetoe. I also happen to like t-nation and bodybuilding.com. Mark Rippetoe though is a font of knowledge.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/

This site is a great resource in general, but also offers a simple 5x5 routine and a great app to accompany it. It's nice because it encourages you to start from scratch and work your way up.

I'm currently doing the SL 5x5 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I also do forty-five minutes of cardio(alternating treadmill/elliptical) on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
  • davidwilbur1273
    Options
    You can get a lot of free information on mybodybuilding.com But I can tell you diet is the key to fat loss and building lean muscle. Good luck
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

Anything by Lyle McDonald (except the book about his personal life).
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Muscle is muscle, if you want to gain some you have to eat more than your maintenance and expect to gain some fat too.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.
    This. Excellent book and excellent program. I'm doing it now after having gone through Strong Lifts and some of Strong Curves.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Anything by Frederic delavier