The nerdiest reason to drop the extra weight?

Options
Hi guys!

My name is Sarah and I am 23. I have lost quite a bit of weight in the past but never succeeded in keeping it off. I'm in a comfortable, happy relationship now which has meant I have eaten everything in sight for 2 years reaching my highest weight ever. I am actually very happy, funnily enough, and I am not desperate to drop weight in a hurry but my partner is a personal trainer so I really don't have an excuse to be so desperately unhealthy.

My reason for wanting to lose weight is a weird one! I cosplay! I spend my spare time sewing/making outfits from cartoons, anime, movies, TV series and most of my favourite characters are far from plus size! (Not to mention it costs me an arm an a leg for the extra fabric!). So I would like to lose weight so I can feel more confident at conventions and vastly increase my character base. Odd right? Well, we all get inspired by something... Some people want to wear a bikini? I wan't to wear spandex catsuits.

I am just looking for some people as a support base, people who are there to help me when I am having a rough day and people I can help when they need me too! I would love to make some friends here!

Thanks so much guys and I look forward to seeing your success!
Sarah.

Replies

• luluismydog
    Options
    Sounds like a great reason to me, with really fun and concrete rewards.
  • amanda741
    amanda741 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    welcome have sent you a friend request :D
  • FayeandBo
    Options
    Haha that's an awesome reason, and I love your belle dress! You're adorable! I'm looking to make weight loss buddies on here too!
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I bet this is going to be a very common theme. I have met so many on here that cosplay. Awesome reason!
    One inspiration for me is my obsession with corsets. They are an expensive investment so I can't just fluctuate continuously or it makes it challenging to wear once they are seasoned.
  • SarahSequins
    Options
    Thanks guys! Friend requests all around! I hope I can sniff out the other people that cosplay, that would be fantastic!
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's not a weird reason at all. It's a great reason. There are a lot of characters that open up when you aren't nervous about how you will be perceived with some. I've got a friend of mine who essentially had the same reason. He wanted to get really big and strong vs just big so he could dress like some of his favorite characters(Rider from Fate Zero). One of my reasons was due to racing actually. I was not fitting well into my car seat as it's built for racers, which are normally not large. I'd also like to be able to cosplay some characters I like as well that wouldn't fit a large frame.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to wear this :

Xena-Dangerous-Prey-Season-6-xen-6.jpg

Or this:

01215037.interactive.a.jpg

• SarahSequins
    Options
    Ohh Xena is a dream!
  • SaintTawny
    SaintTawny Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've found quite a few cosplayers here. I've dabbled, but my primary reason for wanting to lose weight is Renaissance Pirate re-enactment/costuming.

Yup.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You're stunning in the Belle dress. Losing weight is great, but you don't have to be the same size as the (drawn) characters to wear the gorgeous clothes :)
  • tabbyrose727
    tabbyrose727 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is actually one of the reasons that I want to lose weight as well!
  • karenlwhendrix
    karenlwhendrix Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That's a great reason to want to lose weight! I feel out of the loop - I had never heard of cosplay until this post. Seriously though - losing weight is about getting rid of obstacles that are in the way of doing things you want to do. Whether that's running a marathon, wearing a bikini, avoiding heart disease, or....cosplay!
  • ArgyleWerewolf
    ArgyleWerewolf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Automatic winner for "favourite MFP thread".
  • SarahSequins
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies! I am looking forward to my new spandex wardrobe!
  • spaciireth
    Options
    I think that's an awesome reason! I've always wanted to cosplay, I just have no idea who I would dress as. I'm sending you a friend request now.
  • SarahSequins
    Options
    You should absolutely get into cosplay! It's so much fun and you gain valuable skills while you are at it!