How long did it take you to see results?

Options

Replies

• impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There's a reason most weight loss programs advertised on TV last AT LEAST two months - if you follow pretty much ANY regime you'll be looking different by then, and your brain will be able to accept the difference you'll see instead of week to week.

When I really started losing weight it took my months to look in the mirror and really see that I'm a different, skinnier guy. But it was more in the looser clothes and better health that I FELT the difference. Fitness and weight loss are two separate things, And IMO the former is more important than the latter in terms of feeling a difference. :)

Mark
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take lots of pictures and measurements! They'll help you see the changes when you may not be able to seem them.

The first result for me was feeling better, then being able to walk further, then seeing changes in the mirror came much later.

Stick with it!
  • Everyotherday
    Everyotherday Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Personally it took a loooong time to see what other people saw. Seeing myself everyday kind of hid my results from myself.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    It took a few months, the heavier you are, the slower it will take to show. But worth it, so don't you get discouraged! ♡

y00eerk3fpdl.jpg

These are my first few mash ups I did but the progress felt SO slow. Taking pictures helped because you see yourself every day. It's hard to really notice. Try to mimic the original pic, too. Otherwise, angle, position, lighting can change how pictures appear
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken pictures, but it's been ~4 months for me (June 10) since I started tracking calories daily, and some things have struck me. It took about 2 months to realize that I had dropped a pants size. I noticed that my bras weren't quite as full right around then, too. Somewhere in there, my fat roll eased up so it stopped some extra skin contact at night (TMI?).

Lately, I've noticed that when I'm laying down, if I put a hand over the area where my rib cage starts to separate, there's space instead of skin. And a pair of shorts I bought in May that I was too fat for (they were VERY tight), now fits comfortably with a few inches to spare (thank the gods it came with a belt).

My favorite change? When I noticed that it took more water for my bathtub to fill around me. I used to fill it to the "armrest" line. Now, I have to fill it an inch or two above that to get to the water level I enjoy.

I started at a high of 213.2, I'm currently at 185. My first big goal / bare minimum is just 5 lbs away. After that, it's trial and error as to how small I want to get (I don't want to lose the ability to bulldoze guys in soccer).

So, I'm an "in progress" story, but you can do it! Small changes, reasonable eating, and focus on success over failure. Anyone can do it.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm 16 pounds down and if it were not for my jeans fitting me WAY better I'd not even notice to be honest. Visually I don't see a lot of change, but the jeans I'm wearing right now ... they didn't fit me 8 weeks ago. I had to jump around to get into them, suck everything I had in to button them, and then I looked like an exploded can of Pillsbury biscuits. :embarassed:
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Even now after losing almost 35lb and getting to what I thought was my goal weight I hardly see a difference lol. But when I think back I guess I do.. I know for sure my clothes are fitting better and people tell me I look like I've lost weight. I think others started noticing around the 20lb mark maybe but like I said I can't see much difference in my own body.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your profile and it's saying you lost six pounds, so yeah, you're getting results.

That said, no six pounds isn't going to show up much unless you weigh like 100 lbs or something. Common wisdom is 10 lbs to a dress size, but I think that's up to about a size 12 or so.
  • candidcamster
    candidcamster Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've used MFP for well over a year, under multiple names, each was deleted, except this one. I made this one in around summer/fall of last year, didn't take it seriously, I was over 300 lbs. and still had this childish delusion I was going to lose weight to impress people. Finally earlier this year (in February) weighing about 5 or so lbs. less than my MFP join weight, I decided enough was enough if I wanted to live without medications (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) so I changed my lifestyle. Since then I have lost around 45 lbs., and I feel the difference to others is very subtle, but I notice I am starting to have curves where there was just fat before. I can also fit into a size 18w/20w jeans, where before I was a 24/26 in jeans. No one outside of my mom and friends online have commented about seeing a change in me, which sometimes makes me feel sad, but I am not doing it for compliments, I am doing it to be healthy.

Love yourself now, show yourself love now in how you treat your body (feeding it nourishing food, moving it, etc.) and it will repay you later. The larger you are (like me, give or take) the more you have to lose to see changes usually, if someone who weighed 200 lbs. lost what I've lost it would probably be night and day, but for my starting place, it is more subtle I like to call it the "Spanx effect". Like I am a little neater & curvier, my face a little smaller, but it isn't dramatic, it will be I am hoping over the next 4-6 months!
  • p444cod41
    p444cod41 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've lost 37 pounds in 3 months.people started noticing when I lost a stone and a half.But those were people I worked with that I hadn't seen for six weeks while we were on summer leave from school(we work in a school). I think if people see you everyday they won't notice as much.i started walking around the same time I started on here and in the beginning it was hard work,now I try and walk at least once a day,pushing my son up and down some hills.Ive also just started the 30 day squat challenge and have bought a kettle bell ,I'm doing a beginners workout off YouTube it's about ten minutes long and not too hard.My husband has really started noticing my weight loss and keeps telling me how well I'm looking etc.Which is great to hear.☺️So hang in there..my does work..I am not always 100% on track..coz I'm nor perfect and sometimes over indulge but that's to be expected.i want to lose at least another 35 pounds,so I'm just aiming towards that.Good luck with your journey.:)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    What kind of results are you looking for? It took comparing pics after 4 months (and 50+ pounds) for me to be able to see a physical difference at all. 85 pounds and I'm STILL waiting to be able to see the difference when I look at myself in the mirror.

But I started feeling different within a couple of weeks. Feeling lighter on my feet. Feeling more energy.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of lose, I only started seeing results in just over 1 week, and I thought that long enough, obviously this why many diets fail, some expect results overnight, and then with the 'diets don't work" attitude.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30+ pounds since July and didn't notice much change until recently. Before this last week or so, the only reason I knew I was losing was when I'd try on some old clothes and they fit (yet I still gave myself a reason why they were fitting better instead of actually accepting it), and measurement changes. Now, after 31 or so pounds, I see it in my face when I look in the mirror. BARELY, but I notice some changes. It took long enough. =P

My advice is to take pictures from different angles. If I couldn't look at side by side pictures of myself, I wouldn't believe anything changed at all. I'm trying to take pictures every month or so.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Was hoping some of you could shed light on how long it took you to begin seeing results? I'm only 20 days in. Seems like the beginning is the longest wait to see change in your body.

Thank you for this thread! I needed this too :)
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    6-8 weeks and a 15 pound loss. I knew there was a difference but didn't think people would notice. I did a side by side 2 month progress pic and it is VERY noticeable! My stomach has gone down a lot !
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The heavier you are, the less noticeable initial losses are going to be...losing 20 Lbs when you need to lose 100 is pretty much a drop in the bucket...conversely, needing to lose 10 Lbs and losing 5 is probably going to be pretty noticeable.

I lost 40 lbs over 9 months...It took about 4 months for it to be really noticeable...my first 20 Lbs (220 - 200 Lbs) weren't all that noticeable unless people were really paying attention to my extremities...it was also somewhat noticeable in my face.

The next 10 Lbs (200 - 190Lbs) was pretty noticeable as I lost quite a bit in my face and started to really dip into my belly fat stores. From 190 - 180 was a pretty drastic change as I really dug deep into my belly fat stores and my muscle all over was became much more evident.
  • TeeA86
    TeeA86 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ya, I think anyone going throught this process can relate to wanting to look in the mirror and think okay I look much closer to what I'd like to look like. Still getting up every morning like...looks the same lol

I'm on a 53 day streak and I still say this. Lol! I've lost 10 pounds already. I wish it would go faster, but I keep reminding myself "slow and steady wins the race." I have done the no carbs, no salt, no sugar diets... the weight always comes back. You got this! We got this! In six months, we will look up and say "looks completely different" Good luck!

• missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of your amazing responses. This is really motivating :)
  • hrtunstall
    hrtunstall Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am 92 days in & I noticed subtle changes about 3-4 weeks in. I still have not gone down a size in clothes, but they are definitely almost too loose to wear (they were too tight when I started!). I have lost about 20 lbs. I didn't weigh in until 5 weeks in, so I am not sure where I started I based my start number on my last MD visit. I can see the difference clearly now & other people are telling me they can tell. Daily physical activity helps.
  • lapko2
    lapko2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It took 3 weeks before I seen any difference on the scale (By far the 3 hardest weeks). Then I steadly started loosing beweent 1.5-2.5 a week. I ended up loosing 35 pounds in total. Other people started saying stuff to be around 18lbs.

Since then I gained about 13lbs back (3.5 years). Week two ends tomorrow. I haven't seen anyhting on the scale yet but keep telling myself one more week one more week!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!