Not Sure If This Can Be Called Food or Nutrition, BUT

Options
I'm looking to satisfy a yen in the evening for a glass of red wine. My hubby and I usually have a glass or two in the evening but I would really like to get out of the habit and mix it up a bit. I'm looking for something non-alcohol, non-caffeinated and not cold since the weather outside is already too cold for my blood ;) Yes I am picky, I'm really not the herbal tea type either, I'm a orange pekoe kinda girl. I was thinking, something warm, maybe made with almond milk. Any suggestions???

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Since you don't like herbal tea, the berry zinger by Celestial Seasonings probably isn't going to do it for you (that's my go-to instead of wine evening drink). But maybe slightly diluted warm mulled cider? Fewer calories than wine, and comfortingly warm.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    A shot of whiskey, warm.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea? Simmer a few slices of ginger in some water (and lemon slices, if you wish) for about 20 minutes (more or less, depending on how strong you want the ginger taste)
    I make this up extra strong and keep it in the fridge. Add some ginger tea, more water to dilute to taste and microwave for a quick cup.

Ovaltine with almond milk is good. The original kind (there are 2 varieties).

Warm water with lemon juice or a slice of lemon is nice, too.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, not sure since you're looking for something that incorporates almond milk. Personally, if you're wanting to break you wine habit, I'd do it with something with as little calories as possible. How about a light/diet warm or room temperature glass of cranberry juice, maybe with a cinnamon stick?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Any kind of decaffeinated tea.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I love Chai Tea Lattes. You can buy Chai Tea Concentrate by Tazo at Super Target. I mix 4oz of that with 4oz of Almond milk. Right now I'm using the Pumpkin Chai Tea. I plan on trying the Caramel next!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Well it is cocoa season. There are lots of instant cocoa varieties available everywhere. Nestle makes a non-fat, artificially-sweetened one for 20 or 25 calories per serving that I think is quite tasty when I make it with hot milk instead of water (and I don't object to artificial sweeteners, so whatever). And there's no reason you couldn't do that with almond milk if you prefer.

Also, hot cider is an option. You can get the real thing, or again there are fake mixes you can buy.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    This time of year I love hot apple cider!
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Dandy Blend!! It's a powder made from dandelion root, mixes easily with hot water, tastes a little bit like coffee, but is naturally decaf.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    What about the almond milk/coconut milk combo I use... only 45 cal a cup and really good for you? Its by blue diamond iirc.... can mix it up with a low cal cocoa maybe and some torani/davinci SF flavored syrup? I would totally scarf that lol
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you want wine, why not....y'know...have wine?

I drink a glass or two most evenings and I've lost over 30 lbs. Just fit it into your calories; there's nothing wrong with it and it won't inhibit your weight loss efforts.

eta: I also love mulled wine.

You can do mulled wine, regular wine, or sometimes (if I'm running low on calories) I cut the wine with 50% sparkling water and chill it for a drink that's very like sparkling sangria.
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/DANDY-INSTANT-HERBAL-BEVERAGE-Dandelion/dp/B005P0XDJK

It has almost no calories and you can also play around with it, by mixing it, for example with warm almond milk instead of water, adding flavoring, etc. I've mixed it with liquors before as well with great success. So I find it to be a very versatile canvas for warm comforting drinks!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I love Chai Tea Lattes. You can buy Chai Tea Concentrate by Tazo at Super Target. I mix 4oz of that with 4oz of Almond milk. Right now I'm using the Pumpkin Chai Tea. I plan on trying the Caramel next!

This exactly. Chai made with a Chai tea bag simmered in almond milk is amazing. Add some sweetner or honey. Another nice tea is ginger twist. Its like drinking a cookie. liptongingertea.jpg
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I love drinking warm milk with some cinnamon or a tablespoon of Torani syrup, but it's kind of an acquired taste.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Chai latte made with almond milk?
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    if you're not sensitive to caffeine, i enjoy some hazelnut (or other yummy flavored) decaf coffee with some milk and sugar/other sweetener, and some dark chocolate cocoa powder added to it. the cocoa powder kind of makes it mocha-like. it's nice :)
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    almond/coconut milk and honey, hot chocolate, decaffinated coffee :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Try Caro or Barleycup. Both are caffeine free and taste very nice made with milk. They are made from cereals like barley.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Why not just stick with the wine as long as you fit it into your calories?
  • PhoebeGrey
    Options
    Why not just stick with the wine as long as you fit it into your calories?
    It's not the calories, it's the habit. Trying to replace bad habits (nightly) with reasonable ones. :-)