Strength exercise stopping weightloss

Options
I started josie gibsons 30 second slim dvd last week which involves a lot of strength moves to build muscle and have stayed the same on the scale I'm aware my body and muscles will be retaining water but wondered when I will lose this and get back to losing the pounds again.

Replies

• TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off forgetting about what the scale says and focus on what the mirror is telling you ;)
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Get a tape measure and start doing measurements. It can take several weeks to more than a month before you start seeing the scale move down again, I think it took me two months but i was seeing inch-loss and clothes were fitting better. The scale was getting me down because it wasnt moving, I really needed the measurements to give me a concrete number on what i was loosing since i wasnt seeing it on the scale.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I started josie gibsons 30 second slim dvd last week which involves a lot of strength moves to build muscle and have stayed the same on the scale I'm aware my body and muscles will be retaining water but wondered when I will lose this and get back to losing the pounds again.

Are you in a caloric deficit? If you're not, then you won't be losing.
  • lisamcintosh1401
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I do a lot of dvds...Vicky Pattison, 30 day shred, tabata workouts...I never see a difference on the scales when I up the exercise...but hopefully my clothes are going to fit better soon and that's something. it is dis-heartening though when the scales arent moving or even going up instead of down!
  • rebeccalpurvis92
    rebeccalpurvis92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I do a lot of dvds...Vicky Pattison, 30 day shred, tabata workouts...I never see a difference on the scales when I up the exercise...but hopefully my clothes are going to fit better soon and that's something. it is dis-heartening though when the scales arent moving or even going up instead of down!

I've tried 30 day shred before too and the same happened I got disheartened and stopped, I'm going to take measurements and try to burn more calories than I'm consuming and stick to it this time, thanks everyone for the replies!

• lisamcintosh1401
    Options
    I think I'm also going to try and be a lot better with the diet as maybe that will help the scales too. I think walking / running is good for the scales but like you say the strength isnt good! good luck x
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Give it another week or so. If your diet is on track, the water weight from starting a new program should drop. When I first started working out a couple of years ago, I started with doing a DVD (30 Day Shred) and I gained "weight" for a couple of weeks, and then it dropped several lbs. Same thing when I started Stronglifts 5X5 this past summer.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    ignore the scale this month.
    i just started strength too and was getting crazy scale fluctuations.
    caught myself in the mirror after a swim,and saw where abs can be built on my stomach for the first time in 30 years or so.
    give it time.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Definitely track measurements. I've been at this 40 days and have only lost 7 pounds, but I've lost 2 inches around my waist as well as having slimmer arms and legs. Because of the workouts (step aerobics, pilates, and free weights) I have gained a lot of muscle, I went from 3-5lb weights to 8-10 lbs, plus leg muscles, and I've obtained an hourglass shape versus an apple/pear one. I look like ME again. I KNOW I'm retaining water, I can feel it in my legs, I spend 8-9 hours on my feet at work, it seems it all settles in my legs and only a lot of hydration coupled with a good 9 hours sleep washes it away. And I don't get that sleep more than once a week. My body doesn't really get enough time to repair and that affects the scale. So I focus on the new clothes I just bought. :-) in a smaller size.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    When it comes to actual strength training to assist in weight loss, the scale isn't going to be the best indicator of improvement and fat loss. That's going to be more on the mirror, tape measure and your clothing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ...I'm going to take measurements and try to burn more calories than I'm consuming ...

Emphasis mine.
    This bolded portion is extremely important. If you do not eat at a caloric deficit you will not lose weight, if weight is your only measure of success.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Would you rather lose weight and be skinny fat and see the scale move quickly, or lose much more slowly because you are spending time lifting weights and improving your overall conditioning? As others have said, forget the scale, and keep lifting. It will all come out in the end as long as you keep your diet right.