Looking for breakfasts.

Options
2»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say - if it helps, forget the concept of "breakfast food". It's a marketing ploy and nothing more. Anything can be breakfast! Have a sandwich, if you like! A chickpea and vegetable pattie, leftovers - whatever!
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    She said no dairy... Eggs are dairy and not vegan... She also said 10 minute max... All the recipes people are suggesting sound great, but the prep time sounds like it will eat up the 10 minutes, let alone the cooking time...

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    caesar164 wrote: »
    She said no dairy... Eggs are dairy and not vegan... She also said 10 minute max... All the recipes people are suggesting sound great, but the prep time sounds like it will eat up the 10 minutes, let alone the cooking time...

I took the no dairy to be a dietary restriction ie. lactose intolerance. Eggs don't fit that category. It's highly debatable as to whether they are dairy, as they are not a byproduct of mammary output. And she didn't say she was vegan.

• AnutChelle
    AnutChelle Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How about overnight oats in a jar. The base is 1/4 cup quick oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, 2 tsp chia seeds. Leave it in a covered container in the fridge overnight and it is done. You can add anything you like to spice it up like cinnamon and shredded apples.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing the problem. My kids have cereal, scrambled eggs and maybe some fruit pretty much every morning of their life. Takes 5 minutes and is dairy free with soy or almond milk. Other ideas are toast or tortilla with beans, soy yogurt, smoothie, or leftovers from whatever you had for dinner last night.

Breakfast is the least painful meal of the day for vegetarians, IMHO.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I almost always have a green smoothie for breakfast. It usually involves 2 -3 cups of greenery (spinach, kale), a small tomato, banana, frozen berries, and coconut water. I hate cucumbers in drinks, but you can put that in there if so inclined. I don't know what types of sugars you are avoiding, the banana is a higher sugar fruit. Oh and half an avocado. I sweeten it with agave or something similar, especially if I used kale.
    Takes less than 5 minutes. Has about 400 to 500 calories in it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why are there always so many breakfast threads? What is the big deal with breakfast?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Leftovers-reheat quickly or eat cold
    Soups- make a big pot in advance and reheat quickly
    Salads- bean, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, vegetables, fruit, pasta
    Fruit
    Lettuce wraps with beans and veggies or bean burritos with salsa
    Hummus and veggies or tortilla
    Oatmeal
    Dry cereal
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Beans on toast. Filling, high in protein and yummy. Literally takes 2 minutes to heat the baked beans and toast the bread. Just go for a brand of beans without massive amounts of sodium or added sugar :)
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Avocado on toast.
    I discovered it yesterday and it is my new favourite breakfast, just toast some bread, mash up an avocado with a bit of salt and pepper (maybe some hot sauce if you like it) and spread it on the toast.
    It kept me full until 1pm (I ate at 8am and cycled 7 miles before lunch) and it's only around 350 calories!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    caesar164 wrote: »
    Where's the dairy in an egg?
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As many people have already said on this thread, you can't go wrong with a couple hard boiled eggs on a piece of multigrain toast with tomato, or a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with fruit (or no fruit if you're watching sugar). Toast with peanut butter and banana?
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Not everyone wants to eat eggs everyday.

I do liked cooked tomato on toast but not so much without butter.

Hummus and heated pita is fantastic at breakfast.