Need lunch ideas

Options
I'm sick of boxed lunches at work. (like Kashi). Any ideas of something I can make that will keep for a few hours that is actually good for me? I also need filling, I get bored at work and tend to snack sometimes.

Replies

• ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How about a salad, dressing on the side, with some hard-boiled eggs and nuts for protein? I don't eat lunches, I just graze, but I'm also not in an office ... I bet you want the break :smile:
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Fritata - chicken breasts, spinach, eggs, cheese - baked in advance
    Egg muffins - eggs, cream cheese, any other type of cheese, bacon, spices - baked in muffin tins
    Can of tuna, some sort of vegetable (I usually take cucumbers), sunflower seeds
    Minced meat with vegetables - made in advance, take a portion, add lettuce

Depends on the ratios but those are relatively low carb and rather filling. You can always add lettuce so you can chew on it longer. If you take it out of the fridge in the morning it should get to about room temperature by lunch, but it will taste better if you can put it in the microwave (all except tuna)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Chicken chorizo in garbanzo beans. Nut butter or hummus sandwich. Egg salad. Whole grain pasta with chopped fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic with feta and a little olive oil. Add some bacon or prosciutto or even cubed ham for some extra protein. Ground turkey burritos. Winter squash stuffed with a whole grain or bean of your choice, mixed with ground meat of your choice and seasoning of your choice.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has a ton of great ideas. I've got a whole food board dedicated to it.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I pack lunch at ~7-8am. Don't eat until 11-2pm. I pack whatever I feel like, it lasts just fine. So... just make enough food to have left overs or make meals the day before?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    They key is in the grocery shopping:
    -meat for a quick small hamburger or turkey burger in the morning
    -pre-cooked or frozen shrimp,
    -sliced almonds to add to cottage cheese, yogurt, or ricotta
    -pita bread and sliced turkey with lettuce
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    5xg6c27urpam.jpg

corn, black bean salad with onions, a little meat if you like (smoked chicken is great in this), peppers, cilantro, jicama or any other veggies you like. It's great cold by itself or rolled up in a tortilla.
  • kalislim
    kalislim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    mouthwatering :p
  • healthyhattie
    Options
    lentils, beans (I like butter, cannellini or kidney beans!), grated carrots, falafels, hummus, home-made pitta chips, cous cous or quinoa. Brown rice is good too!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry now :yum:
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I make healthy tacos :) here's my recipe, it's super quick and you can reheat it for 1-2 mins at work. Brown 1/2 a onion and 500g lean beef mince with 1tsp oil and 1tsp of cumin, coriander and sprinkle of salt and pepper. Once it's browned, add 1 fresh tomato diced, 2tbsp of low sugar ketchup and 1/2 cup water. Cook for 5 mins and then you serve it in lettuce leafs like romaine or iceberg. Sprinkle a little of your favorite cheese on top and hot sauce if you like. When you take it to work just have one container for meat and other for lettuce and cheese.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention this will serve enough for 8 lettuce leafs. :smile: