I'm way too MOTIVATED..

Options
My running buddy is losing motivation, and i think i'm going to go crazy. I feel like I've texted and facebooked her like a million times today hoping she would join me for a run.

She just responded with a NO + excuse. WHYYYY :'(

I feel like i'm WAY too motivated to workout. She probably thinks i'm crazy begging her to workout with me lol At least she can't say i didn't put an effort in trying to get her come along.

ADD me if you guys would like this type of motivation (the crazy type) lol

Anyway I just felt like venting :'(

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    like I don't get nagged enough at home
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    like I don't get nagged enough at home

I just realized how annoying i was being to her, lol Oh well
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Kudos on your motivation! Seems like your friend isn't ready to make the type of commitment it takes to make the changes yet. Turn that motivation inward and make it work for you!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So if you're so motivated, why aren't you out doing something yourself?

eta: I may have misread. You were going on your own run so you wanted her to come along? OR you were trying to get her to come so that you could go too?

If it's the first, then you're gonna have to accept almost nobody is going to care about working out with you. It's just the honest truth. If you find one person who will stick with it over time (including you!) it's a miracle. Be that one person yourself.
  • ILuvCupcakesNLifting87
    Options
    If you find one person who will stick with it over time (including you!) it's a miracle. Be that one person yourself.
    ^^^THIS x 1000000000000
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm too motivated, too. I don't understand people who always say they lost their motivation! Hopefully your running buddy comes around or you can find another.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you're truly motivated, then you don't need a running buddy to run with you. It would be good to have one but you are perfectly capable of doing it on your own.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Motivation and enthusiasm are not required.

My husband and I go the gym together. There are times when one of us will say, "Are we working out tomorrow?" to which the other usually says, "Duh!"

Husband: Goodnight sweetheart. Are we working out in the morning?
    Me: Yes, Godammit.
    Husband: I need more enthusiasm than that.
    Me: No, you don't. You just need me to show up.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    And this is why I don't share my efforts at losing weight and working out with my friends IRL. It would drive me crazy. And it would actually kill off any motivation I might have otherwise had.

But if you have that much motivation… obviously you don't need a workout buddy. So, kudos! And enjoy your solo run!
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you will go run regardless of your friend joining you or not, then yaay, good job, keep it up.
    If you need her to keep her company or for safety/other reasons, maybe arrange for her to just come and keep your time / watch your stuff / sip a coffee and read a book. She might change her mind once she gets there.
  • AmyMCGS
    AmyMCGS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Assuming that this friend agreed to be your running buddy, maybe she's just having a "off" couple of days. If someone was nagging me on a day when I truly didn't feel well or just didn't want to go, yes, I could see where that (constant reminders) would be annoying. A couple of texts should be enough-- tell her when/where you're running in the last one, and that you hope to see her there. Maybe her "excuse" is in place of whatever is really going on that she's not ready to talk about (personal problems, cramps, whatever).

However, if you two have an agreement to motivate each other and do these runs, then I'd ask her and make sure she still wants to do it. If she's cancelling out on you regularly she's not holding up her end of the deal.
  • medlaura
    Options
    Kudos on your motivation! Seems like your friend isn't ready to make the type of commitment it takes to make the changes yet. Turn that motivation inward and make it work for you!

She has lost 30-35 pounds this year, she is probably just feeling comfortable at the weight she is in now. I just want to push her a little more to get to her goal weight. :/
  • medlaura
    Options
    So if you're so motivated, why aren't you out doing something yourself?

eta: I may have misread. You were going on your own run so you wanted her to come along? OR you were trying to get her to come so that you could go too?

If it's the first, then you're gonna have to accept almost nobody is going to care about working out with you. It's just the honest truth. If you find one person who will stick with it over time (including you!) it's a miracle. Be that one person yourself.

I did eventually start doing my workouts alone.

She has been going with me since day 1. She was the one too motivated in the beginning so i followed. I guess she is out of the zone now. (i thinking it might have something to do with this cold Wisconsin weather)
  • medlaura
    Options
    I'm too motivated, too. I don't understand people who always say they lost their motivation! Hopefully your running buddy comes around or you can find another.

I'm sure she will come around. She isn't a quitter :smile:
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think "work out buddies" are overrated. Plan to workout alone and if someone wants to join you great, if not, then you are still doing it anyway. It is too inconvenient to plan around someone else.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    medlaura wrote: »

She has lost 30-35 pounds this year, she is probably just feeling comfortable at the weight she is in now. I just want to push her a little more to get to her goal weight. :/

Don't push unless she asks. The last thing she probably wants is to be bombarded with support for something you believe she needs, when she may not want or need it for herself.

Weight loss and maintenance is a personal mission. Let her do it on her own, but jump on board to help when she asks specifically for it. :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

That's not your job.

If you want to go run, go run. You don't need her to hold your hand and she can run if she wants....or not if she doesn't want to.
    Having a friend to workout with is great, but you can't let your entire routine be tied up in another person.
  • medlaura
    edited October 2014
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

That's not your job.

If you want to go run, go run. You don't need her to hold your hand and she can run if she wants....or not if she doesn't want to.
    Having a friend to workout with is great, but you can't let your entire routine be tied up in another person.

No, it isn't my job. And i've now just realized that. It is up to her if she was to come along or not.

But its ok, I'll stop and just do me :smile: Focus on just myself and MY GOALS!
  • medlaura
    Options

Don't push unless she asks. The last thing she probably wants is to be bombarded with support for something you believe she needs, when she may not want or need it for herself.

Weight loss and maintenance is a personal mission. Let her do it on her own, but jump on board to help when she asks specifically for it. :)

You are right.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »

That's not your job.

No, it isn't my job. And i've now just realized that. It is up to her if she was to come along or not.

But its ok, I'll stop and just do me :smile: Focus on just myself and MY GOALS!
    YAAAAAAAAAY!