Limited Budget: Exercise Without A Gym

Options
SW: 272
CW: 260

Right now all I can think to do is power walking. To be honest, not to sound like I am whining, but jogging is just not an option. Not to be to graphic, but my chest is so big (44DD) I am pretty sure I would knock myself out XD.

When I am powerwalking I walk on the side of the road, I do my best to push myself hard when going uphill and to cool down when going downhill. It takes me thirty five minutes from my house to walk a full circle and back. I do this twice and typically try to push myself to finish the second walk through in less time than the first. I do this four times a week at least, with a goal to do it everyday.

I don't want to do just cardio though. I want to eventually like my arms (I hate them) and my butt (How is it fair that I weigh so much and have a non existent butt?? XD XD ).

Hopefully I can build up enough endurance to jog and then eventually run.

My questions:

What are some exercises I can do in my house/walking that can help me achieve my goals?

What is a realistic time frame for advancing to jogging? (Should I be trying to jog in small spurts during my walks? Should I wait until I have been walking a few weeks?)

Since I am obese, I have pains in my feet and (very rarely) my knees when I walk so much. Will walking everyday make these eventually go away?

Oh, I also have an unopened kinect game for Zumba, got it as a present two years ago...er... might not have kept it XD.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    For strength training you could do calisthenics like squats, lunges, pushups, triceps dips, planks, bridges, crunches, wheels, etc. without anything other than your body.

You could also buy some resistance bands, which are inexpensive, or invest in some weights. Those dumbbells where you can change the weight with a dial are pretty cool and take up very little room.

For cardio, you can do other calisthenics like windmills, mummy kicks, mountain climbers, jumping (or standing) jacks. Or dancing is great exercise and free (assuming you have a music source). You can usually find a step pretty cheap for step aerobics, or check your local library, youtube or Netflix for workout videos.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    www.fitnessblender.com

It's free, and it's awesome.
  • MerriBerry
    Options
    Thank you guys for the ideas! Will be putting them to use, and definitely checking out fitnessblender
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I, like you, live on a tight budget. For cardiovascular I run mostly, but I have invested in an exercise DVD collection overy the years. The very best all body workout I have is supreme 90 day. It's 30$ or so, comes with 7 dvds. You will need a 5lb and a 10 lb set of dumbells (eventually I pupurchased an exercise ball and a yoga mat but you can do all the dvds but one without) this series is the best I've done and I've done them all, ie insanity, p90x, everything by jIllidan michaels. It's a tough series but it does have beginner modifications and you can use it forever!

Jillian michaels is a great beginner and affordable DVD program. 30 day shred is maybe 9$ on amazon.

Working out on a budget is fun! You will need to invest into your future a little bit, but like I said, it's an investment! Good luck!
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Calisthetics for sure - push ups, squats, lunges, mountain climbers etc - you can have a full body workout using your own body weight as resistence plus work on your balance and flexibility. And cClimbing stairs - no better cardiac workout than running up stairs.
  • hhmb8k
    hhmb8k Posts: 49
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    www.fitnessblender.com

It's free, and it's awesome.

Internet finds like these are exactly what I hoped to discover when I decided to check out the forums. I haven't spent much time with the link provided, but I really like what I've seen so far.

Thanks. Kinda restored my faith in this fitness app related forum having a bit more discussion about fitness and exercise.