Squat Form Check

Options
So, I recently re-started my lifting routine after getting a bit lazy and taking about 4 months off from it. I've lost significant muscle and pretty much starting from scratch. When I was in the Gym for Squats today, it felt awkward and wrong.. so I was hoping someone could take a look at my form and tell me if they see anything I'm missing. These are Low Bar Squats, sorry for the wonky angle -I work out alone and wasn't trying to put my phone in the middle of the walk way.

http://youtu.be/8wb4B10ZSz0?t=16s

Replies

• ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Looks fine to me. Your hips are coming up before your shoulders on the last couple which is making you have to Good Morning the weight up a bit near the end. But that's fairly normal especially for low bar.
    Squats just feel weird some days and there's nothing you can do about it. If it continues to feel uncomfortable try playing around with different foot angles and stance widths.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    OK, Look UP! NOT around!, keeping that head up will help keep the shoulders back, and tight (I was told off for the same thing once!).. That will also help to stop the "good morning" on the last rep Plant your feet before you start, It'll give you a solid platform to start from
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Everything looked pretty good to me also. I would have you try doing them barefoot, it might help with the stability a bit.
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You need to look forward, not up (the latter can cause excessive lower back arching). Actually you're lower back looks a bit too arched anyway (hard to tell from that angle though) - it could be a little straighter.

I'd also say you're breaking too much at the hips. Have a watch of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZWgTrZLd8
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Looks fine to me. Your hips are coming up before your shoulders on the last couple which is making you have to Good Morning the weight up a bit near the end. But that's fairly normal especially for low bar.
    Squats just feel weird some days and there's nothing you can do about it. If it continues to feel uncomfortable try playing around with different foot angles and stance widths.

Thanks! Didn't catch that, guess I'll have to keep working with the bar for a bit before I start upping the weight. Want to be sure I'm doing it correctly.

• xsmilexforxmex
    edited October 2014
    Options
    CarlKRobbo wrote: »
    OK, Look UP! NOT around!, keeping that head up will help keep the shoulders back, and tight (I was told off for the same thing once!).. That will also help to stop the "good morning" on the last rep Plant your feet before you start, It'll give you a solid platform to start from

I noticed that when I watched. I think I'm trying to watch my form in how far up my knees go and how deep I am by looking in the mirror. This is a habit so I'm afraid it's going to take some serious work to fix because it feels like I lean forward when I just look ahead.
    Noted on the feet!

• xsmilexforxmex
    Options
    dinosnopro wrote: »
    Everything looked pretty good to me also. I would have you try doing them barefoot, it might help with the stability a bit.

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    Options
    TJP_ wrote: »
    You need to look forward, not up (the latter can cause lower back arching). Actually you're lower back looks arched anyway (hard to tell from that angle though) - it should be straight.

I'd also say you're breaking too much at the hips. Have a watch of this:
    x

Am I looking up? I thought I was looking down.
    For the back thing - It's weird but just putting my arms up it feels like there's an arch in my back BUT it might be just correcting poor posture or due to body composition (big hips and chest are not my friends), It's one of the things I get called out on most often despite making significant improvements here (before I felt pain/pressure in my back when squatting, I don't anymore) and I honestly don't know how to fix it anymore.

• TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sorry, I was referring to a previous post suggesting you look up.

Correct posture can be difficult, there will always be a degree of arching of course but you just don't want to over-do it (you need it be in a neutral position, not hyper-extended). Better than rounding it though.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Have a watch of this:
    That's high bar. Candito has a great low bar video but the one you posted is not applicable for the OP.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Have a watch of this:
    That's high bar. Candito has a great low bar video but the one you posted is not applicable for the OP.

Damn those details. lol.