Help! I am on Levothyroxine....

Options
I have recently been diagnosed with a 'ever so slightly' lazy thyroid. Before being diagnosed I spent 6 months on weight watchers, following it to the letter, and I didn't loose any weight at all, sometime putting on!!! - this promoted me to see my GP. He told me that my thyroid is only ever so slightly under active and recommended I try Levothyroxine 50mg for six weeks to see if it kick starts my weight lose. Since being diagnosed I have read some awful stories of people who have had a number of rubbish side effects, included the dreaded weight gain. I have started taking my medication today, but I am now really freaked out and was wondering if anyone on here has a positive story to tell about this medication.

Replies

• toyota2015
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you are. I have been on it for years. I recently started something different, focusing on lifting hand weights, walking 2-3 miles 5 times per week and of course watching what I eat (having carbs evry 4th day) Haven't really lost weight, but inches are coming off! Wore 3 skirts recently that I haven't worn for 2 years!
  • sarahnewell859
    Options
    Thats great news. Are you taking 50mg or higher? do you have any side effects? It seems the internet is full of negative side effects but nothing positive and it's freaked me out a bit.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thats great news. Are you taking 50mg or higher? do you have any side effects? It seems the internet is full of negative side effects but nothing positive and it's freaked me out a bit.

Ive been on it since I was in my 20's ... no problem except from time to time I have had to have the dose adjusted
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's so I am in a slightly different boat ( and on a bigger dose - 100 at the moment ) but a friend of mine was in the same situation as you are - problems losing weight plus thinning hair. She had a short course of L-Thyroxine and it seems to have helped.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have been on levo for over 14 years, had my thyroid removed. I was also having problems losing. I went to the dr. and she told me faithfully track all you eat on mfp and lets see what your eating so that I can help.. A month later I went back I was down 10 pounds. The only thing I did different was to be honest as to how much I was eating. She did tell me cut back carbs to 50 a day and protein at 100. Somedays I do it some I dont but Im usually off my carbs because of veggies. I do not eat bread, potato or really any starch, once in awhile I will add 2 oz. of veggie pasta to a pot of soup but other than that I rarely eat starchy food. I started in March and I am down 57 lbs. I am also 56 years old and have to admit I have not done any exercise. So as to you saying Levo makes it harder to lose weight, Im not to sure it does.....anyone can add me as there friend and view my diary..I log faithfully everyday. Oh one other thing my dose is 137
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been on it forever and now on Armour. No issues at all. My mom just started taking it and loves it because her hair was thinning out and now it's growing back. Take your meds.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you had any blood tests taken before you started the medication. Please read from the website, Stop the Thyroid Madness, because if we with poor thyroid function educate ourselves we will regain more of our health.

The thyroid is a crucial part of our hormonal responses in many of our systems in conjunction with other organs it monitors our, digestion, respiration, toxin elimination, depression and mental issues, cell replication, reproduction and more. STTM has a list of most if not all health problems (300 or so). Weight as the only symptom of a thyroid problem is not the best indicator of issues. If at all possible you should visit an endocrinologist because thyroid problems are not as simple as many seem to think. For those of you fortunate to live in the US the home of STTM, there is a list of medical persons who have a greater understanding of the thyroid than most of the doctors we encounter. For many 50 mg is a starting dose. In the first instance the blood tests will probably be repeated at two or three months to see how things are changing, or not because if the problem is indirect something else possibly needs to be addressed, for many the dose will be increased and the process will be repeated till a personal dose is achieved when it will be reviewed at 6 months and later possibly yearly.

There is a hyper and hypo thyroid group on here by the way.
  • Marigoldie
    Marigoldie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The thyroid issue is what causes the weight gain, not the meds. You will feel much better when the meds kick in, energy level will pick up and you will see more results from your workout. Be sure to see your doctor to check your levels every two months or so at first so they can get your meds at the right level.
  • hpaschetag
    hpaschetag Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - just a little under active. I take ~ 33 mg a day, and I have never had any side effects. From what my doc said, whatever is in levothyroxine occurs naturally in the body and if the dosage is right there should not be any side effects.
  • sarahnewell859
    Options
    I should probably say that I have had other problems prior to diagnosis, not just weight problems - including fatigue, problems concentrating, constipation and muscle aches. I have had a blood test and started the Levothyroxine this morning and now I am nervous it will just make me feel worse. I opening admit I am not educated enough about this, but there is so much conflicting information out there.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with a 'ever so slightly' lazy thyroid. Before being diagnosed I spent 6 months on weight watchers, following it to the letter, and I didn't loose any weight at all, sometime putting on!!! - this promoted me to see my GP. He told me that my thyroid is only ever so slightly under active and recommended I try Levothyroxine 50mg for six weeks to see if it kick starts my weight lose. Since being diagnosed I have read some awful stories of people who have had a number of rubbish side effects, included the dreaded weight gain. I have started taking my medication today, but I am now really freaked out and was wondering if anyone on here has a positive story to tell about this medication.

Mine was slightly lazy too. I was put on 25mg for years up until a month or two ago. I'm now on 50mg. I didn't have any weight problems before taking it or after. My weight gains are due to eating rubbish lol
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ps I don't have any side effects. I'm on other meds too which some people claim cause weight gain but I'm fine on them too x
  • garrods
    Options
    I don't understand "slightly lazy" ? Hypothyroid can go undiagnosed for years because the parameter used to diagnose is the TSH[thyroid-stimulating hormone] and the level for it is so wide it can take years to show up. Which is what I went through, weight gain, being unable to lose even with diet and exercise, hair loss, excessively tired, etc. After several years of blood testing and complaining to Dr, it finally showed up. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to loss weight with an underactice thyroid. I was started on 50mcg, the level was OK but I still had the symptoms so was increased to 75 mcg. that worked for years. Just recently was increased to 100mcg as the TSH level was out of normal level but no symptoms and I had been successivefully losing weight. Guess what I am tring to say is that hypothyroid can be a reason you cannot lose weight but there are many other symptoms and if you have it you have have it. You don't slightly have it. Research it and make them treat it properly. It can affect many other things in your body.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh I have been in your shoes. Thyroid mess take awhile to kick in (truth). It took me a long time to get used to the changes and reset my broken metabolism. Weight watchers points are equivalent to macro monitoring. Perhaps try iifym and exercise. It is a must when on thyroid meds. Gotta use that energy. Chin up. You will meet your goals (it just takes us longer)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I am on 75 and I don't think it has affected my weight. Sure I've put on a bit but I have had my nose in the trough too much. Never been overweight, don't have a problem losing.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've been on 75mcg for several years now. No side effects. Did I gain weight? Sure! But that was due to overeating, not the med. I've now lost 80 pounds because I'm being sensible.

I am NOT an advocate of "take a med for everything, cradle to grave" but... take the med! You'll most likely start feeling better soon.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyrodism and one the same med. My doctor says to view it as a supplement rather than a drug. Since being on it, I have more energy, less puffy appearance, better and level mood, depression disappeared, etc. I have lost 15 pounds so far and have more to go (gained lots due to being undiagnosed). I am realistic that it will take time to see results but that's now just a fact of life with the diagnosis.

Thanks Fuzzipge - I'm going to check out the group - never knew one was on here.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    @Fuzzipeg how do I find the group? - my search function is not working properly.
  • goddessintraining1
    goddessintraining1 Posts: 16
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I used to take Levo (synthroid) and couldn't lose 5 pounds. I moved to NYC, got a new doctor who put me on levothyroxine and cytomel (T3 & T4). Now I take cytomel only. A lot of doctors won't prescribe it, especially a GP. T3 is the active hormone. Most doctors prescribe T4 but don't take it into consideration that some bodies don't convert T4 to T3 well. I was diagnosed with hypo at age 8. I've had a lot of time to research & try different things. I have tried Armour and it didn't help. *sighs*
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I gained and gained and gained for years. Despite exercise, despite eating properly - gain, gain and more gain! If I starved myself, I could maintain, but that came with it's own set of problems, lol.

After they removed my unfunctioning thyroid and put me on the Synthroid, I've done nothing but lose. I still have to work for it! I lose slower than a lot of people. But I do lose.

Synthroid in no way makes you gain.

People with hyperthyroid issues that are corrected sometimes gain. But hypothyroid correction doesn't lead to a weight gain.

Rest easy, work hard and with any luck, you'll lose! :)