Lost over 60 pounds and need to tone up - Where do I begin?

Options
I have lost over 60 pound and have just a little bit of weight left to lose. I think I am at a point where I need to really start focusing on body composition and toning. However, I am a total beginner when it comes to this and am not sure where to start. I don't have a gym membership but I am debating getting one. Currently I walk/jog sporadically, but don't do a whole lot besides that.

Any suggestions on where to begin? Ideally, I'd like to focus most on my upper body / arms but I am open to all suggestions.

Im a 23 year old guy, 5'10 and currently 162 pounds.

Thank you!!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A gym membership would probably be a good idea along with a few sessions with a personal trainer. That is probably the best bet for a beginner to make sure you do the exercises correctly and avoid injury.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift, Lift, Lift!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    OP, you might get more specifics if you post this question in the Exercise and Fitness forum
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    A gym membership would probably be a good idea along with a few sessions with a personal trainer. That is probably the best bet for a beginner to make sure you do the exercises correctly and avoid injury.

agree.
    great time of year for reduced gym memberships too.

• engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Lift, Lift, Lift!

^Yep
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!! GO LIFT STAT!!!! I started lifting years ago after reading bodyforlife by bill Phillips and using the exercise library on the website to teach myself proper form. Worked for me! Lost over 115lbs, and have some muscle! Check him out online, may be a helpful place to start your journey. Happy lifting!!!!!!!!!
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the lifting, but it needs to be in a safe environement. So, if you feel comfortable and have the money for a gym membership, then I would make sure you use a few sessions first to acclimate yourself to the proper techniques. Also, while toning is great with lifting, make sure you are balancing your workouts for the week and still incorporate some cardio. Good luck!
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could lift to tone up but I ruined that by slipping a disc. Even looking at weights makes me wince now...