Mother's apron anyone?!

Options
I just had twins a year ago and before that my daughter 11 years ago. I have since then suffered from the most hideous mother's apron ever! I hate it you can't hide it and it looks like my stomach is split in half it's awful. I had a hysterectomy when I had the twins last year and ppl comment that this "mother's apron happens after that bad" I need to know what types of exercises have worked to tone it up besides crunches. I've lost inches from it but it's still the biggest part of my stomach and it's so frustrating to see it every pic every time I walk buy a window or something where I can see myself. I see girl's who have lost 100+lb and had one and it's gone but they have saggy skin I'd be fine with that I just want this bulge to GO AWAY! Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    How did I never hear the term "mother's apron" before? *shudder*

Anyhow, you need to lose fat all over to reduce the fat in that area. You can't spot reduce no matter how badly you want to. Be patient, it will get smaller...it takes a while, but it's worth it :)
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Anyhow, you need to lose fat all over to reduce the fat in that area. You can't spot reduce no matter how badly you want to. Be patient, it will get smaller...it takes a while, but it's worth it :)

I agree with the above. While I could not imagine having twins, I did birth a 9lb 13 oz child. That was painful and my stomach may never look the same. Just focus on losing fat all over, and within time the skin should bounce back.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

I agree with the above. While I could not imagine having twins, I did birth a 9lb 13 oz child. That was painful and my stomach may never look the same. Just focus on losing fat all over, and within time the skin should bounce back.

My son was 9 lbs 3 ounces so yeah, stomach will never really be the same.
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

My son was 9 lbs 3 ounces so yeah, stomach will never really be the same.

Mine were 9 lbs 11 oz and 10 lb 10 oz. The youngest is 21 now. But I've vowed that I will wear a bikini next summer in Jamaica. The stretchmarks will never be gone, but I'm doing all I can to get rid of the fat!
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    2 C-sections and a hysterectomy in the span of 5 years. I refer to my apron and a shelf. :(

I've read cardio is the best thing you can do for it. I've also read it's the last thing to go.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a post about hand me down recipes :laugh:
  • mirandag57
    mirandag57 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My daughter was 9lb 1oz and my twins were 5lb 14oz and 6lb 3oz lol...I'm scared for life trust me lol
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Muscle atrophy can be a side effect after such a serious operation. I would advise OP to strengthen her core and her pelvic floor. It won't take away the fat there on it's own, but it can put some muscle behind it and help to recover. But losing the fat will also be necessary to complete your goal. I suggest high intensity cardio.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    1st baby was tiny and had no issues with a mother's apron, and now, after baby #2 & #3, and lots of extra weight, it is there. Baby 2-3 weighted 9lbs 2ozs (37weeks) and 8lbs 15ozs (35 weeks). I have lost 88lbs and my tummy is still huge, it will probably be the last area to really go. I will look like a worm from MIB >.< But the only thing I can do is be patient and keep working at being a better me. I know I will have lose skin and probably still a mother apron, but loving myself is number one. I also have diastasis recti, so I need to strength my core. Congrats on 1 year old twins, I can not image being pregnant with two at once.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a post about hand me down recipes :laugh:

OMG me too..lol
  • imducky20
    imducky20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just talked to someone about this yesterday. They recommended doing weight training along with cardio. I've had a very small one since being overweight when I was a child. It went mostly away when I lost 80 lbs years ago, but since having my son it is back and bigger than ever. I am determined to shrink it back down and hopefully make it go away.
  • latinmix328
    latinmix328 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have one after gaining weight and than getting pregnant. It's huge and depresses me. I once had a 22" waist and now it almost 50" and hangs. It is so low it's hard to find shirts to cover. I'm 4'9 and now weigh about 210lbs so have a lot to lose. So scared of the skin though. I really need a confidence boost because I'm not handling these changes well at all
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    Swim. :)
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I second the poster who recommended strengthening the pelvic floor and core muscles. After twins and a hysterectomy, you may have a weak core. Work on getting strong and losing fat. The skin will bounce back...eventually.
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've heard it referred to as "twin skin." I've had 4 kids, including a set of full term 6.5lb each twins followed by a baby who was over 9lbs. I'm only 10lbs from my first goal weight, 22lbs from my super skinny pre-kids weight, and I still have it. It's reduced as I've lost weight (30lbs), to the point where I look ok with jeans on, but it's still pretty bad.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yeah two c sections here and I hate my overhang. Makes buying jeans hard as to go big enough to get my belly in means space in the waist. And even then have to wear long tops to cover it. I *think* 34lb later though theres a small difference and Ive found compression gym clothes actually suit me better than baggy ones. Im doing bodyweight exercises and lifting with some cardio and hoping for the best
  • RebeccaVancap
    Options
    3 c sections here. Same issues. Wear your apron with pride ladies! We have beautiful children, and are blessed with a mothers body :)
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Could it be diastasis recti? If that is your problem, which is likely after having twins, you need to be careful with your abdominal excerise so that you don't make the problem worse
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diastasis_recti

This entry will tell you a bit about the issue, and a list of some exercises that have been shown to reduce the seperation