Any women lifters here that use IIFYM?

Options
hey ladies! I'm starting a slow bulk right now. I competed in my first NPC bikini show October 4th, and didn't place. I took it well, I knew the areas I needed more work in. There is another show this month that my teammates are doing, but I decided to sit back, and do more work! I was at 1900 calories now Im at 2200. I want more mass but am afraid of gaining too much fat. Im hoping to compete in Physique, but def. need more muscle! I see a lot of women lifters that use IIFYM. Im giving it a go! But a lot of things I see, people who follow it eat donuts, burgers topped with cheese, endless waffles, oreos, ect. Ive done my share or research, but I still need more proof that it works lol. I mean it must! People who use it are shredded! Right?! Any input would be great. Im just asking for genuine advice, no ego trip comments please. Thank you!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    hey ladies! I'm starting a slow bulk right now. I competed in my first NPC bikini show October 4th, and didn't place. I took it well, I knew the areas I needed more work in. There is another show this month that my teammates are doing, but I decided to sit back, and do more work! I was at 1900 calories now Im at 2200. I want more mass but am afraid of gaining too much fat. Im hoping to compete in Physique, but def. need more muscle! I see a lot of women lifters that use IIFYM. Im giving it a go! But a lot of things I see, people who follow it eat donuts, burgers topped with cheese, endless waffles, oreos, ect. Ive done my share or research, but I still need more proof that it works lol. I mean it must! People who use it are shredded! Right?! Any input would be great. Im just asking for genuine advice, no ego trip comments please. Thank you!

It works but it's not a diet composed primarily of burgers and ice cream. Your macronutrient intake will already limit the amount of junk food you can fit into your diet and additionally you'd be best served to keep the majority of your food choices to whole and minimally refined items. Then leave a small portion (15-20% of total calories) as discretionary so that if you choose to, you can fit in some fun food items when the desire hits.

For the most part, your fat gain is going to be driven by the magnitude of your energy surplus. Gain weight too fast and you'll end up gaining more fat than you'd like which means a longer time spent dieting back down.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I do but I'm not shredded =D

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    so that if you choose to, you can fit in some fun food items when the desire hits.

My church frowns upon that kinda thing

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    so that if you choose to, you can fit in some fun food items when the desire hits.

You can love your food you cant LOVE your food. ;)
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The NPC doesn't drug test, chances are those top competitors aren't clean, just so you know...
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a slow bulk on 2000 (I'm 4'11 and 100lbs). Yesterday I had cake, because after hitting my protein I could fit it in without going over fat and sugar. Most days I'll make something I fancy fit in with my calorie/macro goals. We have the same goals - feel free to add me if you want to see what I fill my face with. Chance are if you are doing a bulk, you are not going to be competition ripped throughout a bulk, no matter how you eat, as the main objective is gaining weight which includes some fat.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not bulking yet but I've lost 20+ lbs doing flexible dieting. And if you look through my diary you can see that I eat junk food...very often. It's about hitting your macros. Once I hit protein then I just eat whatever I feel like. Today I had 2 cookies, a bowl of caramel popcorn, caramel rice cakes, homemade protein banana bread (which had reese's pieces in it) and a popsicle. On Saturday I had some halloween candy.

I look forward to bulking for the first time next year, will still utilize this method while doing a slow bulk (~10% from maintenance I'd guess will be my max)
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It does work but to be honest I don't know competitors that use it because I don't know if it affects the small things. Look up timberwolf and josef rakich, they preach iifym and are shredded
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I do but have never done a serious bulk. I am minded that a slow steady cut is what I need right now. I love iifym but stick to a 80/20 mentality
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not for nothing but if you didn't even place in a bikini show- you have a long road to haul to hit physique- those girls don't mess around- and they aren't tiny.

I'd bulk up and forget about worrying about fat- you need to put on as much muscle as you can- and hit your protein- hit your carbs- but fill up on ice cream and sushi as you need to make it happen.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do as well and I am bulking right now. I fill my day with my macro-rich food.. I try to hit my goals then I usually have whatever I want (ice cream, cookies, cake, chocolate etc) to fill the gaps - it is not all about burgers and waffles, but enjoying in balance. I would cry if I had to eat 3200 cals worth of chicken, broccoli and rice, everyday.... Zzzzzzzz..... :(
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    As usual, the answer is somewhere in the middle. It's not just a matter of IIFYM - more like IFYM&M (macros and micros)... here's a decent article that talks about it in more depth: http://www.seannal.com/articles/nutrition/iifym-diet-legit-if-it-fits-your-macros.php
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You can love your food you cant LOVE your food. ;)

You just won the internet today
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

It works but it's not a diet composed primarily of burgers and ice cream. Your macronutrient intake will already limit the amount of junk food you can fit into your diet and additionally you'd be best served to keep the majority of your food choices to whole and minimally refined items. Then leave a small portion (15-20% of total calories) as discretionary so that if you choose to, you can fit in some fun food items when the desire hits.

For the most part, your fat gain is going to be driven by the magnitude of your energy surplus. Gain weight too fast and you'll end up gaining more fat than you'd like which means a longer time spent dieting back down.

^All this. Plus a couple links that I feel really describes IIFYM very well

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/817188/iifym/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1380837
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Anyone with a respectable macro ratio that optimizes health and performance isn't going to be eating endless waffles and other junk food. IIFYM doesn't mean that you just eat whatever the *kitten* you want...for one thing, you should actually be hitting macro goals...and unless you're macros are super high carbs then I don't think endless waffles are going to fit the bill.

Secondly, IIFYM came out of the fitness industry where macro goals were established as per fitness goals and optimizing performance...you don't optimize performance eating nothing but junk food.

Most people who follow the concept as it was intended eat a very balanced diet that is rich in nutrition...but they don't get their panties in a wad because of their ice cream they had for desert after dinner...because it fit their macros and a little ice cream isn't going to undo the rest of the days nutrition.

I would also add that most people I know who are following the IIFYM concept and are doing what you're trying to do...they tend to eat a *kitten* ton of lean protein...not oreos and waffles.

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Anyone with a respectable macro ratio that optimizes health and performance isn't going to be eating endless waffles and other junk food. IIFYM doesn't mean that you just eat whatever the *kitten* you want...for one thing, you should actually be hitting macro goals...and unless you're macros are super high carbs then I don't think endless waffles are going to fit the bill.

Secondly, IIFYM came out of the fitness industry where macro goals were established as per fitness goals and optimizing performance...you don't optimize performance eating nothing but junk food.

Most people who follow the concept as it was intended eat a very balanced diet that is rich in nutrition...but they don't get their panties in a wad because of their ice cream they had for desert after dinner...because it fit their macros and a little ice cream isn't going to undo the rest of the days nutrition.

I would also add that most people I know who are following the IIFYM concept and are doing what you're trying to do...they tend to eat a *kitten* ton of lean protein...not oreos and waffles.

This is the way I've always looked at IIFYM. I follow it, but I hit my macros while getting my micronutrients in check. To get to where you want, OP, there's no way you will be eating endless waffles and ice cream. 68-72 grams of ice cream in a serving is not the same as a couple big scoops.

That being said, I followed it for a couple of years, and now I don't stress it nearly as much. I do, however, track macros and micros carefully for someone else and he certainly doesn't eat a bunch of 'junk' food.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, I follow the basic IIFYM principle. I used it to bulk 3 years ago but was eating about 3000 calories a day. I gained 10lbs in 4 months and not much of it was fat. What I haven't been able to do is cut again, but that's mental and not a IIFYM problem.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Look into Jez Carter & John Otis Hollywood on facebook, instagram etc.. Both have many competitors they prep on IIFYM and Flexible Dieting. Team 3DMJ as well.
  • ceruleanmuse
    ceruleanmuse Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do a light version of IIFYM. My day is pretty much an endless quest for protein.
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Brittany Dawn Fitness is another big supporter of IIYMs and shes shredded! I have been using IIFYM for the last few months for weight loss, 13 pounds down in 4 months (slow and steady for me) but now that Im going more into maintenance Im going to start eating back the calories I burned.