Any other shortys out there?

Options
So I am 5 foot nothing and a 43 year old active woman. How many calories do you eat a day to lose between 1-2 pounds a week? I have been told with my age and size that i should eat 900 calories a day. I realize that exercise becomes a necessity to lose any weight. So just curious.....how many calories do you eat a day and still lose?

Replies

• TasiaTa
    TasiaTa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't try to keep my calories that low... I would wallow in misery if I did. lol
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I can lose very easily on 1200-1500 with exercise. Who told you 900?
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Without added exercise every calculator tells me that I'm between 840 and 1020 calories per day to lose 2 lbs per week (I have a lot to lose). I've had a couple of weeks where I wasn't able to exercise and my weight loss immediately stopped.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Give it 6 weeks on 1200 and see what happens, you can always adjust.
  • TasiaTa
    Options
    As Kalici said it was weight loss calculators. I was also warned by them that dropping that low is not good for you. I know that I need more calories to function properly. A large problem I also have is consistency. I lack it. I will go 3 weeks tracking food and working out then POOF! I don't care. They damage I do to my self in that week is devastating. Can't seem to break this cycle.
  • TasiaTa
    Options

I will. Just need to power through that dreaded week of ambivalence. Thanks! :)
  • PixieMidoriKitten
    PixieMidoriKitten Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I go for just shy of the 1200 that MFP allocates me and at 4'10" I am steadily losing. Need to exercise though, even just taking stairs instead of lift (elevator), squats whilst brushing teeth, random 50 start jumps (jumping jacks) before I sit on the sofa (couch) each time.

I am 28 though, and I don't understand this increased age = less calories thing, because I'm not a medical professional...

I find it hard to eat less than 1000cal though, even stocking up on the veggies, I need at least 1000cals each day
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Exercise is the key for me, if that's not going right, then nothing else does.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    TasiaTa wrote: »
    As Kalici said it was weight loss calculators. I was also warned by them that dropping that low is not good for you. I know that I need more calories to function properly. A large problem I also have is consistency. I lack it. I will go 3 weeks tracking food and working out then POOF! I don't care. They damage I do to my self in that week is devastating. Can't seem to break this cycle.

That is exactly what I do!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

^This, plus you get to earn extra with exercise.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options

It takes 3,500 extra calories to gain a pound. Unfortunately, when you're short you don't get that many calories to start with.

I think the first thing is just to get yourself recording everything you eat. Even when you don't care if you gain. Even if you know it is going to blow your calories away. Make it something you do every day no matter what. Like brushing your teeth. Then at least it'll be habit and you can make choices with the complete knowledge of what you're doing. No surprises.
  • katiehunter921
    katiehunter921 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and try to keep it around 1300.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2", and 48 years old. My BMR is 1388. I lose on 1800 per day including exercise calories. When I first started, I tried the 1200 calorie routine, it didn't last long. I use the TDEE -20% method, and am very happy with it. Yes, the loss is fairly slow, but I don't mind, since I can eat like this indefinitely without feeling deprived.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot even and eating between 1440-1720 a day and still losing with exercise.
    So far I've lost 82 lbs. It's workin' so far. :smile:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and target about 1300 net calories, more if I earn more with exercise. Anything below 1200 is generally not advised unless you're really teeny-tiny, because you need to get enough nutrients through your diet.

I think the pitfall of those calculators is the 1-2 pound per week pace that you're targeting for weight loss. Since we're shorter, 1 pound is a greater percentage of our target body weight than it would be for a taller person. Aim for a 15-20% calorie deficit vs. your maintenance instead of an absolute deficit of 3500 calories/week. For some of us that will mean slower weight loss. But it should also be more sustainable in the long term, avoiding that 3-4 week log and then crash cycle you talked about.
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    5'4 and at 1200 a day running 5 x per week =)
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I just started. In my 40's 5.2". eating between 1500-1600 calories a day. I have 50 pounds to loose.
  • TasiaTa
    Options
    ok...so if I hang between 1200 and 1500, what should the macros look like?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    ok...so if I hang between 1200 and 1500, what should the macros look like?

I've been experimenting with these values, too. Most calculators will tell me to up the protein and fat, and lower the carbs. I've never really been able to successfully pull that off, because I like carbs too much! My current macro targets are 50% carbs / 20% protein / 30% fat, and even with that, I'm constantly high on carbs and low on protein (and sometimes fats). So for now, I'm just targeting the calorie goal and letting my body dictate what to eat, and not stressing too much about macros, as long as I'm getting enough nutrients.

Eventually as I look to change body composition and not just lose pounds, I may attempt to cut back on the carbs and increase protein consumption. But for now, I'm just concentrating on feeling full within my total calorie goal.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    I have changed mine to pro 35, fat 25, carb 40 i feel ok and less hungry when i do this but its tricky to get the protein in.