controling late night snacks

Options
I really do good for most of the time but when i know there is chips in the house i can't stay away from them. Any help?

Replies

• Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Don't buy chips anymore. :smile:
    Drink water
    Chew gum

They're my best tips. Good luck
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    don't buy chips! hahahhaha I am the same way I love chips and I could eat a whole bag in a sitting! best resource I have for this is BABY FOOD (and I mean the crunchy little graduates, look like Cheetos and its super low in calories and sodium!!) It takes care of the craving for crunchy food!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Save room in your calories for them, or alternately, Trader Joe's has some awesome "reduced guilt" chips (smaller potatoes).
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    So hard... My skinny wife eats all kinds of snacks in bed, Its tough when your out of cals for the day.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dont buy chips. Buy a goldfish instead.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. We have chips in the house all the time as my hubby and son enjoy them (they also enjoy a super fast metabolism). I try putting them way back in the pantry so they are more out of sight. I also drink lots of water, brush my teeth, have a bath, etc when I get those cravings. And most of all, I can't eat just one, so I forget they are in the house all together.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest going to bed, but if your wife is eating in bed that's not going to help. Maybe save room for that late night munching? Or kick her out of bed if she's going to eat. She should be supporting you and not tempting you.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    don't buy the chips

there are certain foods i don't buy as well like cookies cause i can't stop.
    instead ill eat 1 cookie while I'm out instead of buying a whole package at home and mindless eat.

you could do the same. buy the individual chip bags only when you are out. you will probably eat less often and becomes more of a treat. eat less in qty proportioned. you planned for it. and you are not depriving yourself of things you love
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The first thing that everybody else mentioned is don't keep chips in the house. Also, you could move your dinner to late enough that you don't get hungry before going to bed. I don't get hungry late at night, because I basically just ate dinner, and it was most likely my biggest meal of the day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you live alone, don't buy chips. That's easy.

Otherwise, you have to learn to control yourself. There really aren't any tricks. You must stop yourself.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i have to substitute...

Chips= carrots, popcorn....Trader Joes has great popcorn...
    Wine= a relaxing tea....

still sucks, but it's the only thing that helps. I also cannot buy chips otherwise.....
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    So hard... My skinny wife eats all kinds of snacks in bed, Its tough when your out of cals for the day.

Eating in bed is disgusting. Food belongs in the kitchen/dining room.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »

Eating in bed is disgusting. Food belongs in the kitchen/dining room.

So you go to the kitchen to eat a piece of chocolate or some candy?
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm a nightime snacker. I often have work meetings at nights and so on the nights when I'm actually home, I want to sit on my *kitten* and watch tv. Some things I've found that help me:
    • Have lower calorie options at hand. If I'm snacking for the sake of snacking, I choose things that last longer for the calories. A pb cup will go down without a bite, but a serving of popcorn will last a while. Or if you're like me, I like my ice cream almost soupy. So its 20 minutes of waiting for it to melt, lol. Other 'slow' favorite of mine are a serving of chocolate cheerios. I'll eat them one at a time rather than by the handful. You get the crunch and the sweetness and the slow-release satisfaction.
    • Save some calories through the day just for snacks.
    • Get in a heavy 20-30 minute home workout. It will be less time spent on the couch, and you may earn enough calories to account for the chosen snack. Seriously, I need a tshirt that says "Will Zumba for Ice Cream"
    • Others say brushing your teeth helps. Personally I've never tried it. I'd rather dance till I sweat and then have the ice cream, lol.