Bought A Heart Rate Monitor And Have A Question?

Options
Okay, so I just did the treadmill for 60 minutes and the treadmill said 457 calories burned and the heart rate moniotor said 1250 calories burned. It is one with a chest strap and I was wearing it. The treadmill seems to low and the monitore just seems high.

It is the Sportline Duo 1010. I entered my height, weight and birth year.

It could be right cause I hear they are as accurate as you can get.

Thanks,

Jake

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    yeah the sportline one with the chest strap is usually pretty darn accurate, same for the polar with the chest strap.
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Were you running? That number seems a bit high to me, I had a sportline watch and it was always giving me really high numbers. I would add your numbers together then divide by two and take that number. Which would give you about 853 calories burned, seems like a happy medium.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Were you running or walking? I'm 5'5" and 145lbs.. and I run intervals from 6.0-8.0 for 60 min, I burn about 700-800 calories... 467 is too low... what does myfitnesspal say when you enter it?
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just bought a sportline SX last week, and I was kind of thinking that it was a little high as well. Today, I walked 7.2 miles at the lake. The MFP database estimates my burn at 750 calories, but my HRM said it was over 1400. Not sure who to believe, so I logged it in as 1250, just to err on the safe side a little bit.
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    the treadmill calculates calories based on the last reading when you touched the sensors, then i will do the same again next time you touch the sensors., meanwhile the HRM with a strap is continuous reading of your actual heart beats., HRM with straps are more accurate if set correctly.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I always go with what my HRM says. I have a Polar and is very accurate. It's usually higher than the machine.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    just be cautious because sometimes your HRM can pick up other people's HR and interference can sometimes be an issue. periodically check your HR reading to see if it matches how you feel.
  • JakeLX
    JakeLX Posts: 8
    Options
    I forgot to say that for I ran for 30 minutes of that and then walked the other 30 at 3.5mph. There shouldn't be any interferance cause this treadmill is one that I own and is in my house. Thanks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the chest strap was sitting correctly. I have a sportline and if the strap is not tight enough or the connection to your skin is not good then it will give some crazy HR readings (in the 200s). What was your max heart rate? If it was up in the 200s that is where your problem lies. I usually wet the chest strap sensors with some tap water and make sure the strap is good and tight. I have had the chest sensors misread early on if they were not made wet first. If the strap is too loose it will slip while you are running or doing other things where you are bouncing around a lot. Both will give excessively high heart rate readings which will result in excessively high calorie calculations.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I always go by what my HRM says.
  • JakeLX
    JakeLX Posts: 8
    Options
    My max heart rate got up to 183 and stayed between that and 170 while running. It was sufficently tight enough around me and I even checked t make sure it wasn't slipping a few times and it wasn't.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    did you enter all the same info into the machine? did the machine monitor your heart rate as steadily as your HRM? Consider those minor differences. If your HRM knows for a fact that you were in your 85% zone for 30 minutes but the machine thinks you were maybe 65-70% based on the occasional readings if you touched the handles (unless your HRM feeds to the machine directly...not sure about that one) then that could account for the difference in readings.

When I wore my HRM to my gym, the machine picked it up and gave me same numbers as my watchband displayed for HR and calories burned. It would have to if it's getting the info from your HRM. If you aren't feeding your HRM to the machine then use the HRM. You have to understand too that when we're heavier and more out of shape we will burn more calories doing even simple things. As you lose weight and get more conditioned, your burn will decrease as will your heart rate for the same exercise level.

I would use the HRM. If you're still doubtful of the accuracy and you're eating back your calories, eat back only half. If you find you're still hungry as you exercise more then it's probably more accurate than you realize. If you're exercising and not feeding your body enough it will let you know.

Enjoy the high burns while they last! :drinker:
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the chest strap was sitting correctly. I have a sportline and if the strap is not tight enough or the connection to your skin is not good then it will give some crazy HR readings (in the 200s). What was your max heart rate? If it was up in the 200s that is where your problem lies. I usually wet the chest strap sensors with some tap water and make sure the strap is good and tight. I have had the chest sensors misread early on if they were not made wet first. If the strap is too loose it will slip while you are running or doing other things where you are bouncing around a lot. Both will give excessively high heart rate readings which will result in excessively high calorie calculations.
    I agree with the wet strap - it affects the reading. I found mine was losing signal when I first bought it. Once I started wetting it first, haven't had a problem yet with transmitting data to the watchband. I also eat back my calories when I can exercise and use the HRM numbers. I've not gained yet since doing so.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Is the MFP calories entered correct? I walked with hills today on a treadmill. I entered what the treadmill said because I did use the incline... it told me 500 calories for 3.6 miles.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    My max heart rate got up to 183 and stayed between that and 170 while running. It was sufficently tight enough around me and I even checked t make sure it wasn't slipping a few times and it wasn't.

Those sound like reasonable numbers for your heart rate. It still might be signal loss, but I can't say for sure. I check my watch regularly while working out and if the HR number is flashing I know for sure it has lost signal. If it looks excessively high for the what I am doing I do a quick on demand check to see because sometimes it will go off because of lack of contact. I am actually considering getting some ecg gel to make sure of good contact.