Honest opinion on running shoes for ladies with high arches!!

Options
Now that the weather has cooled off in FL I'd like to start running, I've had problems finding running shoes that fit my extremely high arches comfortably.

Honest opinions!! Detailed responses on how the shoes performed! I've tried going to some of the sites that sell shoes and it seems like the folks that post reviews are only interested in style and not performance!! That's fine, but not what I need!! Thanks!!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My best advice to you is to find a dedicated running store in your area and have them fit you for the proper shoes. They will analyze your gait while running and look at your arches, etc. and give you a few different shoes to choose from that will work well for you. The service is free, the shoes are not. :) With high arches, you will probably also need an insert for the shoes.
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    My best advice to you is to find a dedicated running store in your area and have them fit you for the proper shoes. They will analyze your gait while running and look at your arches, etc. and give you a few different shoes to choose from that will work well for you. The service is free, the shoes are not. :) With high arches, you will probably also need an insert for the shoes.

^^ This ^^
  • tampagirl1965
    tampagirl1965 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a gait analysis scheduled for 3 Nov! Great advice!!
  • bobbieocean
    bobbieocean Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I struggled with blisters on my feet, it was very frustrating, and i wasted some money on one pair of sneakers that just did not work. I finally went to a dedicated running store, it was the best thing i have ever done for my feet! They found the perfect sneaker for me, i still do some preventative taping on my heels, but i have no pain when walking or even when i try some jogging. Good luck with your gait analysis!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

100% agree with this. The Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes work well for me, but that does not mean they'll be a good fit for you. I bought my first pair in the running store who picked them out for me (based on my gait, arches, etc) for about $110. I was able to find cheaper prices for them online for awhile ($70 or so), which was nice (now that a new model is out, I had to suck it up and pay full price, though).

I saw someone mentioned blisters... don't forget to get yourself some good socks too. I just bought a new pair recommended at the running store, and I haven't been getting any blisters (sorry - can't remember the brand, though).
  • tampagirl1965
    tampagirl1965 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! Not wanting to waste any more money on shoes that don't work so I will be patient and wait for that gait analysis!!
  • Shewolfgurl
    Options
    Ditto getting fitted at a running store. Someone mentioned socks.. get the best you can afford. My favs for running and walking have always been Thorlos.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    What are examples of dedicated running stores? WE have Sports Experts, and Foot Lockers here in Canada... but not sure... there is one store Coin Des Coureurs (runners corner) I believe.. maybe them?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    What are examples of dedicated running stores? WE have Sports Experts, and Foot Lockers here in Canada... but not sure... there is one store Coin Des Coureurs (runners corner) I believe.. maybe them?

Coin des Coureurs, for sure. And I'll ask some of my friends who run for other suggestions. (ETA: I'm told Boutique Endurance on St-Denis is good, too, if you're in Montreal.)

Skip the big-box places like Sports Experts and Foot Locker... they're useless.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If they sell basketball shoes, tennis shoes, etc. then they are not a dedicated running store, so that leaves out Foot Locker, for certain. The store you want should have a treadmill, and possibly more equipment, to analyze your gait and feet. Here in the States there are stores like Road Runner Sports, Fleet Feet, Sole Sports Running Store, Runner's Den and Tri-Sports. If you do a web search, you should be able to come up with a list of stores in your area, whether it be a chain or locally owned store.