First Half Marathon Completed!

Options
becs3578
becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
This past Sunday I ran my first Half Marathon. Started trying to run this past January after several failed attempts in the last 5 years. I was just "not a runner". After 11 months of crossfit I gave it another shot and this time I LOVED IT. Had a little tweak of an injury 4 weeks before the race which led to some taping of my arch on race day. BIG mistake. First 11 miles were magical, last 2 were brutal. Taping messed up my stride and caused horrendous leg pain for the last 2 miles. But damn if I was gonna stop. So now resting for at least 7 to 10 days to let my foot and IT band in my knee recuperate.

Finished 13.1 miles in 2:21:13. Very proud and now kinda "jonesing" to do it again. Might attempt again in January. We will see.

Below pic of me at this weekends race... and a Pic of my on my first day of Crossfit in February 2013. It has been quite a journey.

feb13tooct14_zps52c200ae.png

Replies

• theanthean
    theanthean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Congrats and you look great Ive learned to love running also.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Well done Becks & looking great, just a side comment go visit a coach or athletics club your running style looks like it needs tweaking.

1st of many races I hope, keep going and well done.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I hope to join the 13.1 club in March.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I'm jealous! I, too, started running about the same time. I had my eyes on a half marathon but it sold out before I had a chance to sign up. I'll probably do one in December. I'm a bit apprehensive about it since I haven't done much winter running. Now that I saw your post, I'll definitely go for it :smile:
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. You look great! I'm looking forward to conquering my first 1/2 in December.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Me too! Felt great, didn't it! Good job!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I completed my first half Sunday as well and I ran 2:23:45 with a brief veer off into the woods to pee! :D We would have been great running buddies with near identical pace!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    so many congratulations to you! yay!

how did you find mixing crossfit and running? Mrs Toad likes that combo too and has found the two disciplines to be mutually supportive

CONGRATULATIONS and mega awesome good luck to the others who are planning their halves! yay!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I know that exact jonesing feeling you are talking about. I felt the same after my first 1/2 in October 2013 :-) Way to go.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and welcome to the community of runners! Make sure to join the "long distance runners" group on MFP.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I've got my first half coming up in just over two weeks. Hope my finishing time is anywhere close to as awesome as yours!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    WOOHOOO!!!!! Congrats! Isn't it great when you cross the finish line and realize you just did 13.1 miles? I did my first half maraton in March on my 41st birthday

Way to go!!! :D
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys... I am so glad I decided to train for me. Former-me would never have done that. Once I am all healed up I will focus on another one... in 2015!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Great work! Very inspiring and you look fantastic, too!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Such a feeling of accomplishment, huh? I agree with everyone else, you look great!! You look 10 years younger!
  • RiseandGrind77
    RiseandGrind77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome!
  • Tljordan40
    Tljordan40 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Amazing job....
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Great job, you did amazing!!! I have my first half coming up on Thanksgiving morning. I'm so nervous!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!