High Protien, Low Fat?

Options
I'm a vegan and lately I've been having a hard time getting the protein I need (my goal is around 43g right now but I'd like it to be higher since I've started working out again), I always put chickpeas or black beans on my salads and I'm a huge fan of nuts but they all seem to be so high in fat! Black beans have close to no fat but I'm looking for more options. Thank you!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with fat?.....besides transfats I mean.

The kind of fat in nuts & nut butters is actually healthy.

• _captain_crunch
    Options
    I'm already on a high-fat diet but I still exceed my goal most days, I love fats but I don't want to overdo them
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy fat! Just make sure you stay in your calorie goals :)
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Beans are probably your best option, some greens have protein
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt, protein bars and shakes.
  • sherri30170
    sherri30170 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like kidney beans on my salad.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Are tofu or edamame okay?
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'd maybe see about adding in a protein supplement. TrueNutrition.com is one that I buy from, and they have a selection of vegan proteins that should help. The darker greens also have protein, maybe do a little Googling on which vegetables have what you're looking for. Oh! PB2 is a delicious source of protein, and low fat since it's powdered.

@LianaG1115 , vegans don't do dairy, so yogurt isn't an option for the OP. :smile:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Sorry
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Thank you. Sorry

Whoops! we must have posted at the same time. :wink: Tofu and edamame aren't dairy, and generally are a go-to for the vegans that I know, provided there's no soy allergies.

My comment above was intended for another poster, I will edit :smile:
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Fat is good for you. :) Medical science has done a complete 180 in its opinion about fats (with the exception of trans fat). Healthy fats are good for you. They help your body absorb nutrients from other foods (like veggies) and also help your heart and keep blood sugars steady.

Here's a really detailed article written by the Harvard School of Public Health about the change in opinion about fats (and links to the relevant scientific studies):
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

There's no reason you can't eat nuts, avocado, beans, lentils, hummus etc. Walnuts or wanut oil would be a great way to get your omega oils which are a great source of heart healthy "good fats". Spinach has a surprising amount of protein for a veggie. :)

See also:
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/vitamin-supplements/fat-absorb-vitamins.htm
  • _captain_crunch
    Options
    Thank you all! This is great stuff I'm excited to try more of it out!