This is what a plateau looks like - how did you cope with yours?

Options
For those interested in what a weight loss plateau looks like, here's my last few weeks of weighing. I'm going to stick with what I've been doing for a while longer to see if the plateau ends by itself, but after that I might have to add some back-to-back diet days and look at adhering to set macros rather than just calorie counting (I'm doing the Alternate Day Diet).

This is not a call for advice, just wanting to start a discussion about the motivational difficulties a plateau can produce.

sx4zwszyu9wd.png

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Every plateau I've had has been caused by getting sloppy with or making mistakes with logging. Wasn't always easy to find where I was going wrong, but that's where the problem was, every single time.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I'm with previous poster. I'm down 50 lbs and I'm not a believer in plateaus there is always something I'm doing that causing it.

keep analyzing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, most people aren't really at plateaus. They just aren't truly being consistent. In weight loss a true plateau would be 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF (big IF) there was consistency with intake and/or exercise.
    Problem is people forget when they ate more than usually, drank more than usually, attended a party, had a binge, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've got to say I'm punctilious with regards to logging. I don't trust the food database on MFP unless I have no other choice. You can't read the calories on the back of a cucumber. I've been at a deficit of 3850 calories a week for the last 10 weeks, and in the first seven I steadily lost 1kg per week.

If you think I'm chugging a twinkie every now and then and not noticing... no.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Over a year and a half period I lost 135 lbs (gained some back recently) and I can tell you plateaus exist. I did a strict regiment when I was not losing as much as I was originally losing down to the same time, weight resistance, sleep cycles and I ate literally the same darned food for a month. I plateaued, I was pissed. I went to my doctor/nutritionist and she basically told me to stop being conscientious for a week. I stopped, consumed alcohol, ate delectable deserts and generally pigged out. I gained about 2 lbs that week. The next week I lost 4, the following 3, the following 1.5, in the course of the following month I lost about 14 lbs.

I am not suggesting or condoning to jump off the healthy choices but it may have just been a mental thing more than anything but plateaus do exist.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    fluff- Is anything new in this period, like the ADF maybe? If so, does it stress you out?

Anything changing, or getting squishy?

I get plateaus, too. I think more women do.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

I don't think I'd double-up the fasting days. If you're positive about the deficit I'd wait it out or maybe try some other calorie cycling levels first.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    mmm twinkie
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As the OP indicated that this is not a call for advice I will not offer any. You specifically asked for "motivational difficulties" and this I and likely everyone can attest to as a result of a plateaus. :)
    Without bordering "advice" I would venture to offer that I myself find plateaus very demotivating. In the end I find that "change" is what is best in removing that plateau, whether it be diet/exercise or combination of both. Without something that I can tangibly say I changed, I cannot inherently expect a difference. I understand this may sound simple but do consider "slight" edits here and there after you have done your pertinent research and decided which to do. Best of luck in your continued weight loss!
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    fluff- Is anything new in this period, like the ADF maybe? If so, does it stress you out?

Interesting article! The biggest change or red flag I've noticed is that no matter how much water I drink I rarely have (please look away, sensitive souls) clear wee. It varies from pale yellow to OH GOD OH GOD WHY IS MY URINE ORANGE. Would thisbe at all indicative of water retention in the fat cells?
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    Cold_Steel wrote: »
    Over a year and a half period I lost 135 lbs (gained some back recently) and I can tell you plateaus exist. I did a strict regiment when I was not losing as much as I was originally losing down to the same time, weight resistance, sleep cycles and I ate literally the same darned food for a month. I plateaued, I was pissed. I went to my doctor/nutritionist and she basically told me to stop being conscientious for a week. I stopped, consumed alcohol, ate delectable deserts and generally pigged out. I gained about 2 lbs that week. The next week I lost 4, the following 3, the following 1.5, in the course of the following month I lost about 14 lbs.

I am not suggesting or condoning to jump off the healthy choices but it may have just been a mental thing more than anything but plateaus do exist.

Thanks, this is VERY tempting advice! :smiley: Yes plateaus DO exist. Clearly for the twinkie forgetters amongst us there are other explanations but body chemistry is more complex than some might have us believe. I think a little jog into the caloric badlands might be just the thing if I'm still stuck out here in November.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Every plateau I've had has been caused by getting sloppy with or making mistakes with logging. Wasn't always easy to find where I was going wrong, but that's where the problem was, every single time.

This...anytime I haven't lost for more than 2 weeks it was due to logging...or a vacation (but that doesn't count)

Or

Not keeping in goal

The minute I tighten both up...bam whooooooosh 4.5lbs in 7 weeks

• stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    "If you think I'm chugging a twinkie every now and then and not noticing... no." was an amazing retort.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Interesting article! The biggest change or red flag I've noticed is that no matter how much water I drink I rarely have (please look away, sensitive souls) clear wee. It varies from pale yellow to OH GOD OH GOD WHY IS MY URINE ORANGE. Would thisbe at all indicative of water retention in the fat cells?

By recommending it be 'clear' I think they mean 'uncloudy', not colorless. So pale yellow is probably terrific. Orange might disturb me. :o

But I don't think any color is indicative of anything going on in our fat cells. I do get the soft, squishy fat, though. :p

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I've got to say I'm punctilious with regards to logging. I don't trust the food database on MFP unless I have no other choice. You can't read the calories on the back of a cucumber. I've been at a deficit of 3850 calories a week for the last 10 weeks, and in the first seven I steadily lost 1kg per week.

So it's been 3 weeks of no weight loss? Then it's not a plateau. Also notice that there's a spike in weight gain. What happened with the previous day's eating?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

By recommending it be 'clear' I think they mean 'uncloudy', not colorless. So pale yellow is probably terrific. Orange might disturb me. :o

But I don't think any color is indicative of anything going on in our fat cells. I do get the soft, squishy fat, though. :p

What about neon green? Had that once. Nothing a little penicillin couldn't fix...
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Interesting article! The biggest change or red flag I've noticed is that no matter how much water I drink I rarely have (please look away, sensitive souls) clear wee. It varies from pale yellow to OH GOD OH GOD WHY IS MY URINE ORANGE. Would thisbe at all indicative of water retention in the fat cells?[/quote]

Um yeah the orange is not a good color, I know if mine gets that dark I am going to have a kidney stone (or three) soon. This is what the mayo clinic has to say about Orange urine: Orange urine is hard to miss. Blame it on:

Medications. Medications that can turn urine orange include rifampin; the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine (Azulfidine); phenazopyridine (Pyridium), a drug that numbs urinary tract discomfort; some laxatives; and certain chemotherapy drugs.
    Medical conditions. In some cases, orange urine can indicate a problem with your liver or bile duct, especially if you also have light-colored stools. Orange urine may also be caused by dehydration, which can concentrate your urine and make it much deeper in color.

There are also a few other colors that your urine can turn (I never knew you could have blue urine).http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/urine-color/basics/causes/con-20032831
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

So it's been 3 weeks of no weight loss? Then it's not a plateau. Also notice that there's a spike in weight gain. What happened with the previous day's eating?

My diary's open. Go nuts.
  • fluffyasacat
    edited October 2014
    Options

Medications. Medications that can turn urine orange include rifampin; the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine (Azulfidine); phenazopyridine (Pyridium), a drug that numbs urinary tract discomfort; some laxatives; and certain chemotherapy drugs.
    Medical conditions. In some cases, orange urine can indicate a problem with your liver or bile duct, especially if you also have light-colored stools. Orange urine may also be caused by dehydration, which can concentrate your urine and make it much deeper in color.

I had a sore ankle last week and was taking 25mg of Voltaren in the morning for three days... you might be on to something.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Logging...

Generic entries, not all food is weighed, if it is weighed often in oz...grams are more accurate.

and why is your goal 500?????? :o IF? or every other day thing?

Yah McDonalds @900 one day this week (not that there is anything wrong with that)

But you aren't weighing most things....that will do it.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Logging...

Generic entries, not all food is weighed, if it is weighed often in oz...grams are more accurate.

and why is your goal 500?????? :o IF? or every other day thing?

Yah McDonalds @900 one day this week (not that there is anything wrong with that)

But you aren't weighing most things....that will do it.

There are definitely enough red flags in the logging that points to it being the issue.